• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you forgot you EDC in the last 6 months?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not within 6 months, but I've walked out with an empty holster. I got distracted by something while getting dressed and forgot the crucial "put gun in holster" step. I pat myself down before leaving these days, as I have so much junk to keep up with it's not unusual to forget something. My cell phone is the most commonly forgotten item by far.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not within 6 months, but I've walked out with an empty holster. I got distracted by something while getting dressed and forgot the crucial "put gun in holster" step. I pat myself down before leaving these days, as I have so much junk to keep up with it's not unusual to forget something. My cell phone is the most commonly forgotten item by far.

Yep, I do the regular pat down of all pockets, etc before leaving typically. Check for keys, cell phone, extra mag, wallet, pocket knife, and then EDC. Though, when you do it, is it considered Stop and Frisk?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Good points.

I really need a better holster as mine is not all-day comfortable. Are you guys carrying IWB or OWB at home?

I almost always OC at home. It is by far the most comfortable (IMO). Once used to it, you don't even notice it's there.

Bonus: The Jehovah's Witnesses folks tend to move along when you answer the door with a pistol or two on your side.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Good points.

I really need a better holster as mine is not all-day comfortable. Are you guys carrying IWB or OWB at home?

Both. Today I'm carrying my 5.25 XDm IWB with my Bio Belt. It's really comfortable. Other times I'll OWB with my XDs. Just what I'm feeling like that day. 9+1 or 19+1.

The IWB gets caught up less on things around the house.

A real gun belt makes more of a difference than a holster to me.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Pretty good about checking for all my EDC items as I leave the house. The very rare occasions is when distracted from my normal routine.

The item I do forget more often is my cell phone since its carry location varies depending on the pockets in the clothes I am wearing. Other EDC items are always in the same location. There have been a few times where the wife and I are going to dinner and as we get to the exit of the neighborhood I realize I forgot my phone and sometimes she forgets her phone the same trip. Usually we just shrug our shoulders and keep driving finding being untethered refreshing. I will turn around for my gun.

checklist2.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    :yesway:

As to the poll, I've been know to arrive at work or church with an empty holster.

Same here. SuperTucks are so damned comfy you hardly know its on. You feel it against your body but the weight of a G19 isnt very noticible. (I have been known to totally forget I was carrying a G42)

I actually got distracted this AM and forgot it. It happens.

Pretty good about checking for all my EDC items as I leave the house. The very rare occasions is when distracted from my normal routine.

The item I do forget more often is my cell phone since its carry location varies depending on the pockets in the clothes I am wearing. Other EDC items are always in the same location. There have been a few times where the wife and I are going to dinner and as we get to the exit of the neighborhood I realize I forgot my phone and sometimes she forgets her phone the same trip. Usually we just shrug our shoulders and keep driving finding being untethered refreshing. I will turn around for my gun.

checklist2.jpg

:laugh:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

never really carried at home maybe i should start doing it.

Yes x 3

I have something for IWB, OWB, and pocket for what is typically my BUG. This allows me to carry something light, but still a fighting caliber gun no matter the occasion.

You should have something on (when clothes and / or legal) as much as possible.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Or, you are at gun school in Winamac and you are standing in line for coffee at that Mack Donald's and you realize that you left your pistol, you know, the thing you need for gun school in the hotel room and then drive 30 MPH over the posted speed limit to retrieve?

Nope, not me. I've never done it.

(And not one of you mentions leaving the Ruger 22/45 on the SUV bumper!)

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I have a rule that once I start getting dressed for work, I don't do anything else until I'm done. If I get interrupted, that's when my portable or taser get left at home. I bet it's been less than six months since I left my portable at home.

Another one (that I haven'[t done in a long time) is leaving your sidearm in booking if you get a hot call and have to run out in a hurry. Nothing like being at a call and realizing your holster is empty.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Another one (that I haven'[t done in a long time) is leaving your sidearm in booking if you get a hot call and have to run out in a hurry. Nothing like being at a call and realizing your holster is empty.

I put my car keys in the lock box with the gun to eliminate that possibility.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My IWB is clipped to my pants, so it comes with me when I put them on. Mine is so comfortable I can wear it indefinitely including taking a nap. There are a couple of things that help me remember it. I'm on the last hole of my belt, so if the holster is empty my pants will start falling off. Carrying on the left, I have to keep checking that my magazine is seated, since the release is exposed and takes a bump once in a while. I think I'm going to have to make my own holster to account for that.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Haven't left my carry at home in years...what I have done a couple times in the last few months is leave it in my truck. I have a holster rig under my steering wheel and at times I will slip the weapon in it while driving for comfort and accessibility. When I get out, I have forgotten to holster it before going in to wherever I am....I have discovered its not on me and immediately stop whatever I am doing and go out and get it....better safe than sorry.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    What's more likely these days for me, is to forget I'm wearing it, and to carry in a "forbidden zone". Luckily, I haven't yet done that while open carrying.:rolleyes:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Not in the last 6 months. Not even my spare mag.

I need to get in the habit of carrying at home instead of leaving guns spread out in different hiding spots. But that will be harder than remembering a spare mag. I dont nornally wear pants.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have strategically located SD pieces. No matter where you are one is very very close even if it is a bat.
    I have left the house without my chosen EDC of the day. Those are the days that it is good my butt is actually attached.

Top Bottom