• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    My question is how is this any different than fingerprinting? Someone explain to me how they can track you any more with iris scans than they can by fingerprints?

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Iris vs FPing

The eye-scanning program boasts several benefits. Among them is processing speed and accuracy. First, identifying a person via their iris would return results almost instantaneously. Fingerprints, on the other hand, can take hours or even days to return results with a reasonable amount of certainty. Second, the iris is so unique from person to person because it contains about six times more features than a fingerprint. Therefore, iris scanning is not only just as reliable as fingerprints, but it is actually much more reliable due to it’s characteristics.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The examples they give are weak.

1) Entering your car. It likely will never be required and at best optional. People drive all sorts of cars and lend their cars to friends and family. If the only way to get into your car and start it is via an iris scan, it would be too restrictive. Then the article also assumes this data will be transmitted from your car to some database, which isn't coming anytime soon I would wager.

2) Entering the workplace. News flash, in most major cities you already need a key card to get into your office. You scan it, it logs your entry, you go about your business. I've had a key card for years "tracking" my movement in and out of the office. No one cares unless something comes up missing. Nothing new here.

3) Entering your home. See the car comments above. Even if you have the option of installing this (which I might consider, it beats losing my keys) it doesn't work during a power outage and it restricts those who can enter your home lawfully. You can also tamper with your home electronics so I doubt your location will be broadcast to a national database any time soon.

4) Accessing your medical records. Ok, they're medical records. You need ID to gain access to them anyway. A doctor won't share them with just anyone. So what's the difference? Showing a state issued ID or scanning your iris?

5) Getting a prescription filled requires ID too. What's the difference if they ID you by state issued ID or by iris? That is, unless of course you have a habit of using fake ID's to get prescription drugs. They track you already.

Lastly, Mexico isn't the US. What they do down there has nothing to do with what we do up here.

Eventually ID cards will go away due to advances in technology. That's a fact we have to live with. Eventually everything will be digital as technology advances. You won't need to carry a drivers license, you won't need a key to access your stuff, etc. It's the natural progression of things. If you want to live in the stone ages, opt out and go live with the Amish.

By the way, if you respond to this thread your actions are being tracked. Everything you do online is traceable right back to you and is logged for eternity. If you're worried about being tracked, unplug your computer now.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wireless Tire Pressure Monitors have unique signatures/serial numbers and can be read from a distance and as such be ONE way to track a car wirelessly/passively/covertly TODAY.

And last week there were reports of a slight ability to HACK TPMs so that they report erroneous data. That data can be used against you in a court of law perhaps saying you were negligent for improper tire inflation when in fact you WERE NOT (because it was hacked and STORED in your car-black-box) or be used to put the car into an emergency/limp-mode if it thinks you just blew a tire (again, hacked input) when you have not. Thus allowing any 'bad guys' to slow/stop your car wirelessly if that is the normal behavior of your car to do when it THINKS your tire blows.

Medical records have been tossed in trash unshredded which leads me to believe the care with which they take of electronic protection will be no more secure.

Tracked on the internet? Just use TOR, for one option.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ok now knowing that information this to me is more private information that needs protected. I dont like to give out any of my private information such as finger prints, social security number, drivers license number. This falls in that category to me. they cant track every move I make but really this is kind of creepy to me and makes me want to go live amish. lol In twenty years the technology will be such that they will be able to track you every move you make if you let them. the question is who will control who? The government control the people or the people control the government? Probably the former.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Ok now knowing that information this to me is more private information that needs protected. I dont like to give out any of my private information such as finger prints, social security number, drivers license number. This falls in that category to me. they cant track every move I make but really this is kind of creepy to me and makes me want to go live amish. lol In twenty years the technology will be such that they will be able to track you every move you make if you let them. the question is who will control who? The government control the people or the people control the government? Probably the former.
    George Orwell wrote 1984 as a warning. NOT a Science Fiction novel.
    He was merely a few decades off on his predictions.
    Out individual freedoms are being chipped away a little each day and soon we will have none at all.
    :twocents:
    Mike

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I work in the security industry. These iris scanners are amazing, think "Minority Report". There is a company that has developed an iris scanner that can identify a person from 10ft...for now. Why should we be concerned? Well, you could walk right by one of these things and not know that you have been "scanned", just like in Minority Report. They use a regular type CCTV camera for image capture and that is what limits the camera to 10ft. As camera and processing technology advances this distance will become greater. Even with the current version, contact lenses, glasses, they don't matter. For the security industry they are great, for anyone that has to carry around a keyfob or card to gain access to your place of work these could replace them. For someone with a nefarious intent they are dangerous.

The only thing that is keeping them from replacing current technology is cost, with the 10ft models commanding $100,000 each and the 3ft. models costing ~$15,000. I have seen technology march on in the industry though. What costs $100,000 today costs $1000 in 5 years.

What you see in the movie Minority report is totally possible today. Put one of these at a grocery store checkout and the first time you checkout you are "enrolled". After all, they don't need your permission, you are in their store. They database your purchases and correlate them to your iris. They know your name from the credit/debit card you swipe. The next time you come in you notice that the end cap that used to have product on it now has a display screen...with an iris scanner. As you walk past it the end cap says "Hi Joe, might I have a moment of your time?" and then goes to tell you all about products that you might be interested in and where in the store they might be found. The system compares your iris (identity) with the previous purchases and makes the suggestion. Or maybe it just flashes a product you might be interested in on the screen.

For the person that doesn't want their identity known it becomes a problem. Once these databases are built and the government grants themselves access to them people are in trouble. Did you ever notice the cameras at intersections? Not the ones that send you tickets, the ones pointed at the lanes to determine when to change the lights. How about the tollway cameras? Get the picture? Try getting from point "A" to "B" without crossing one of these.

Get ready to gouge out your eyeballs citizens.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can't find the original source of the information I found that mentions this, just this less than mainstream source. But I recall an episode within the last year when some people were contacted by some government agency in such a way that it could only have been from the agency having access to one or more 'customer loyalty programs'. Such as Krogers or similar. I think, if I remember correctly, something they had purchased was being recalled, and they were notified not by the store, but by some agency.

Anyway, while trying to find that story, which I failed at, this website entry is at least interesting.

Activist Post: 10 Ways We Are Being Tracked, Traced, and Databased

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    mirrored_sunglasses.jpg

"What now, b****es?"

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.