For those who feel that punching justifies deadly force...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chelise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    The balance of physical strength between yourself and the attacker would probably also come into play were you ever brought to trial. As a woman, if some huge thug comes after me, regardless of whether he is armed or not, he is capable of killing me, and I should be totally justified in leveling the playing field.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The balance of physical strength between yourself and the attacker would probably also come into play were you ever brought to trial. As a woman, if some huge thug comes after me, regardless of whether he is armed or not, he is capable of killing me, and I should be totally justified in leveling the playing field.

Absolutely! That is the sort of additional thing you want to be able to explain, beyond merely "I was punched".

Best,

Joe

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

women and men are completely equal. women can take on combat roles, so women can go toe to toe with male attackers. Modern liberalism taught me so.

Add purple as needed.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    You've said it sister. I agree 100%

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Would it be legal to stop the attack, that they started, by drawing your weapon but not aim it at them? I wouldn't think it is but I'm not familiar enough with any case law or IC on the subject.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Interesting story in yesterday's Chicago Trib. A man was just sentenced for his attack on another guy. He hit him once and knocked him down, and then straddled him, hit him only once again. The man who was attacked has been in a coma for six months or so.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Interesting story in yesterday's Chicago Trib. A man was just sentenced for his attack on another guy. He hit him once and knocked him down, and then straddled him, hit him only once again. The man who was attacked has been in a coma for six months or so.

I would think this would be a good case for a lawyer to bring up in defense of those who used their gun to stop from being punched.....even once.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Here's the problem I see. Certain groups of people see gun owners as *****'s unable to handle themselves in a fight. Certain groups also think street cred and respect go hand in hand with beating someone down for whatever reason they see fit. That's a game I don't want to be involved in...matching wits with some thug on his level just because he felt the need to throw down. I don't have time for that level of stupidity.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I've have been told I'm a ***** for carrying a gun. The gun is an extension of my mind and body, much like my hands and feet. The ultimate weapon lies between my ears. ;)

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Here's the problem I see. Certain groups of people see gun owners as *****'s unable to handle themselves in a fight. Certain groups also think street cred and respect go hand in hand with beating someone down for whatever reason they see fit.

It may not always be about ego. There are also people who think that shooting as a response to a punch would land them in jail; people who think that the gun isn't always the most suitable tool in a conflict; people who are better with weapons other than the gun, etc.

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    I think it is important to realize what "reasonable" stands for in these cases. Essentially it is what a jury of your peers deems "reasonable". Unfortunately, what the members of this forum think is "reasonable" and what a person with no firearms experience deems "reasonable" can be completely different. You never know if someone is willing to punch you once they would certainly be willing to punch you again. Who is to say they were only going to punch you once. If they punched you once, stopped and then you shot them, well you are most likely in trouble.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    It all comes down to are you shooting to stop an attack, or for payback. If someone hits you and then backs off and is no longer a threat you can't shoot him, even if he has done damage to you. If he sucker punches you, and you believe he is going to hit you again it then becomes self defense. Weather you can convince a jury of that is something that is questionable. I know people who carry with physical problems that would put their life in jeopardy to take a pounding, or even a single punch. They would be justified in shooting when the attack became imminent, not waiting for the punch to actually be thrown. Again, no one knows what a jury will do, but if your dead you will never have a chance to explain your side and the assailant may be long gone before they find you body.

Top Bottom