• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    While Indiana law SAYS that, there is no punishment provision to enforce it.

I'm sorry, not tracking. You are stating that there is no punishment provision for carrying a handgun without a license? I must be missing something.

Those little bastards are fast, though

Can we have one thread, one single thread that does NOT involve body lice. Geez, going to give the state a reputation, guys.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Can we have one thread, one single thread that does NOT involve body lice. Geez, going to give the state a reputation, guys.
    Body lice in Mars Hill is like a mascot...or status symbol. And the really big suckers can be used as fishing bait.

Everyone here is proud of theirs and will gladly show them to you.

I'm sorry you people from Lafayette are so...uppity. Lafayette...even the name sounds uppity...

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I'm sorry, not tracking. You are stating that there is no punishment provision for carrying a handgun without a license? I must be missing something.

No provision for charging someone for carrying outside of the terms of their state permit. Believe he means I couldn't charge someone for carrying in a bar in Indiana because it's against the law in their home state.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Hmmm, if your address is from Illinois, or any other state, and you have a carry license from that state IMO, that's the one you're held to, regardless of what other licenses you may carry. I personally don't care, as long as your licensed and follow the in-state rules of Indiana.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

No, you have one from another state. The law that addresses out of state licenses/permits is not the same thing. If they wanted to address out of state permits in the carrying w/o a license code, it should have been listed with the half dozen other exceptions. It's a lot of fuss for a class B misdemeanor.

In the Violations Code for this chapter, Section 21 is left out.
    IC 35-47-2-21

Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

IC 35-47-2-23 Version a
    Violations; classes of misdemeanors and felonies
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following repeal of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 23. (a) A person who violates section 3, 4, 5, 14, 15, or 16 of this chapter commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    (b) A person who violates section 7, 17, or 18 of this chapter commits a Class C felony.
    (c) A person who violates section 1 of this chapter commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class C felony:
    (1) if the offense is committed:
    (A) on or in school property;
    (B) within one thousand (1,000) feet of school property; or
    (C) on a school bus; or
    (2) if the person:
    (A) has a prior conviction of any offense under:
    (i) this subsection; or

(ii) subsection (d); or
    (B) has been convicted of a felony within fifteen (15) years before the date of the offense.
    (d) A person who violates section 22 of this chapter commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class D felony if the person has a prior conviction of any offense under this subsection or subsection (c), or if the person has been convicted of a felony within fifteen (15) years before the date of the offense.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.16-1984, SEC.20; P.L.140-1994, SEC.9; P.L.17-1997, SEC.7.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If they wanted to address out of state permits in the carrying w/o a license code,

They did, it is §1, the Class A misdemeanor.

I'm sorry you people from Lafayette are so...uppity. Lafayette...even the name sounds uppity...

Just because we use the bath tub for something other than making speed, own a toothbrush, wax our backs and pluck our ears, does not mean we are uppity.

Uppity is West Lafayette.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No provision for charging someone for carrying outside of the terms of their state permit. Believe he means I couldn't charge someone for carrying in a bar in Indiana because it's against the law in their home state.

The latter sentence is correct.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    They did, it is §1, the Class A misdemeanor.
    I'm not being argumentative, really. If I'm wrong then I want to correct myself. Where does it address the penalty for violating 35-47-2-21(b)? It is not addressed in 35-47-2-1. It just says "a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Where does it address the penalty for violating 35-47-2-21(b)?

In §1 as I said (ch. 2, §23(c) states the penalty). See if this helps get my point across:

1. It is a Class A misdemeanor to carry a handgun.

2. Having a valid Indiana Larry is a defense to that crime.

3. If you are not an Indiana resident then if you have a license from another state (or the 11 or so non-residents with Indiana Larrys) then that is also a defense to the crime of carrying a handgun as well.

If you are from . . . Tejas, it is a crime to carry a handgun in Indiana. The penalty is a Class A misdemeanor.

It is a defense to Carrying a Handgun Without a License, a Class A misdemeanor, if you have a CHL from Texas.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    In §1 as I said (ch. 2, §23(c) states the penalty). See if this helps get my point across:

1. It is a Class A misdemeanor to carry a handgun.

2. Having a valid Indiana Larry is a defense to that crime.

3. If you are not an Indiana resident then if you have a license from another state (or the 11 or so non-residents with Indiana Larrys) then that is also a defense to the crime of carrying a handgun as well.

If you are from . . . Tejas, it is a crime to carry a handgun in Indiana. The penalty is a Class A misdemeanor.

It is a defense to Carrying a Handgun Without a License, a Class A misdemeanor, if you have a CHL from Texas.
    Ok, we are arguing semantics. Like I said earlier, you got a VALID permit/LTCH from ANY state in the US. Carry here all you want, just follow Indiana law. The BS about "Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof " is meaningless to me as street cop.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Ok, we are arguing semantics. Like I said earlier, you got a VALID permit/LTCH from ANY state in the US. Carry here all you want, just follow Indiana law. The BS about "Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof " is meaningless to me as street cop.

But that is because you are one of the smarter ones

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Just because we use the bath tub for something other than making speed, own a toothbrush, wax our backs and pluck our ears, does not mean we are uppity.

Uppity is West Lafayette.
    BTW, Mr. Holier Than Thou...a little known fact... The "toothbrush" was invented in The Hill. Had it been invented in your precious Lafayette, it would have been dubbed a "teethbrush".

I give you it's inventor...

funny-pictures.jpeg

Oh...and FYI...bathtubs (washtubs) can also be used as a corral for raising goats (true story). So, not everything in a Marshillian washtub contains battery acid and fingernail polish remover.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Good luck with that.

Yeah, it's true only for CCW holders. I forget the exact code number, but it's not unusual to see CCW carriers there with them locked and loaded when lobbying. Go figure.
    Once, I went there with 2 firearms and numerous extra mags. Didn't want to cause a fuss, so I showed my Lic and ID and told what I had. I was waved around the detectors. Some rookies VSPD went kinda nuts and insisted on wanding me and 'discovering' everything I had. Other cops watched and the one that waved me through kept telling him I was OK. THEN!!!
    Then, he found a 2' pocket knife i hadn't thought about. I had 10-12 LEOs around me now. I told him I was sneaking that in to create havoc and run amok! He started to go nuts! That's when his superiors stepped in and led him away and rearmed me. We all had a good laugh.:):

Here it is: "There are no magazine capacity limitations, except that a concealed handgun permit is required in order to carry magazines with more than 20 rounds in some urban, public areas.[SUP][\"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Virginia[/SUP]

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The BS about "Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof " is meaningless to me as street cop.

I have no doubt.

Dispatch: "See the man, a legal interpretation question that the Indiana Court of Appeals has not yet addressed and is unlikely to address over extraneous language in the Indiana Code."

Car 54: "Dispatch, we need to convene a symposium at 24th and New Jersey. There's a whole bunch of beard-scratching law geekery breaking out. We need tea, coffee, water bottles, and a metric ton of tweed jackets and pipes. I repeat, tweed jackets and pipes."

Fox59 Headline that night: "Flash mob of intellectualism breaks out on near westside. Russ McQuaid reporting."

I give you it's inventor...

You leave my family out of this!

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    So if we're going to split hairs about "terms thereof" shouldn't we split hairs about "licenses to carry handguns"?

Specifically, if a state issues a CCW, CCP, CPL, CWP, CHL, etc., those are not valid in Indiana because Indiana recognizes only "licenses to carry handguns."

Top Bottom