• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am not a huge fan of Hybrid technology, I support diesel quite strongly. My last diesel was a 1984 VW Rabbit diesel, car ran like a tank. Sold the car with 354,000 miles on the original engine. VW has announced they are bringing the TDI Golf back to the USA! This makes me one happy man! 31/42MPG no need for a silly hybrid!

2010 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF:
    SIMPLY PUT—THE BEST GOLF OF ALL TIMES THAT ONCE
    AGAIN SETS NEW STANDARDS FOR ITS CLASS
    HERNDON, VA, September 28, 2009 – For 2010, the venerable Volkswagen
    Golf is ready to stand out yet again-sporting fresh, dynamic styling inside and
    out. The Golf, now in its sixth generation, will be available with the highly
    anticipated, athletic yet extremely fuel efficient, TDI clean diesel engine.
    Available in both two and four-door models, the new Golf carries the Volkswagen
    brand heritage into overdrive with proven, German-engineered performance and
    refinement at affordable starting prices. The new Golf starts at $17,490 for the
    two-door model, and $19,190 for the four-door version. Several options are
    available to make the 2010 Golf a perfect choice for those consumers who
    demand a compact car that is equipped to not only be functional when called
    upon, but also looks, drives, and feels fun at the same time.
    Having already been honored as the "World Car of the Year," the latest-
    generation Golf promises more vigor, better usability and the best fuel economy
    of any Golf to date.
    Rest of article can be found here:US-Bound 2010 VW Golf TDI To Get 31/42 MPG - 2010 VW Golf - Jalopnik

500x_2010_VW_Golf.jpg

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Now that's one of the few foreign cars that I would buy! I'd love another diesel car!! I've still got my first car, an 1984 tempo diesel, sitting in the barn waiting on me to do a head gasket replacement on it and hope the head isn't warped. But I'd definitely love a new even more efficient diesel!!

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    VW has announced they are bringing the TDI Golf back to the USA! This makes me one happy man! 31/42MPG no need for a silly hybrid!
    :+1: Just in time for me to start thinking about my next car in 2010 or '11, too! I really regret choosing my Saturn over a Golf seven years ago in the name of "compromise" with my wife. Don't get me wrong, my SC gets 35+ average mpg and was a decent car, but I really enjoyed my VW test drives and wanted the home-brewed biodiesel option.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I have a friend with a Jetta TDI 2006 or 7... The thing drives like it's on a rail, and get 50+ mpg... The two stupidest things that we are not taking advantage of are a) clean diesel cars (VW being the main example) and b) compressed Nat Gas to fuel vehicles...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have a friend with a Jetta TDI 2006 or 7... The thing drives like it's on a rail, and get 50+ mpg... The two stupidest things that we are not taking advantage of are a) clean diesel cars (VW being the main example) and b) compressed Nat Gas to fuel vehicles...
    I have a 2010 Jetta TDI on order. Ordered it the end of August, was told that it will be December before I see it due to some of the options that I ordered. Real world tests of the 2009 and 2010 VW 2.0 TDI engines are turning out HIGHER mileage than the EPA is allowing VW to publish as the official number.

This is what I have on order:
    Picture1-2.png

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I've got the '05 Jetta (old style). It has 122,000 miles and I average about 45 to 47mpg driving around Brown, Monroe and Johnson counties. I love it and would not hesitate to get another!!!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    BMW 335d looks interesting. The price is prohibitive and the advertised mpg is overly optimistic, but either way American car makers are getting further behind the curve. Again.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    BMW 335d looks interesting. The price is prohibitive and the advertised mpg is overly optimistic, but either way American car makers are getting further behind the curve. Again.

Ford makes a 65mpg diesel Focus. The president of Ford was interviewed last summer saying that the market in the US for diesel is too small to bother to import the car and make it EPA compliant. I think he's an idiot and people would snap up that car, even with the higher cost of the diesel engine. I also think they should slap that engine in their little Ford Ranger pick up trucks and they'd get dual use out of the EPA certification.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ford makes a 65mpg diesel Focus.... I also think they should slap that engine in their little Ford Ranger pick up trucks and they'd get dual use out of the EPA certification.

I wasn't even aware of the Focus that you mention. Thanks for the info. I'm pretty into cars and admit That I don't follow things like I used to, but me not knowing about the Diesel Focus is a good indication that Ford is either not pushing them or making them available in numbers that I'd notice. I did notice the Jeep liberty diesel on the road for about a year now. It's not a heavily advertised thing for some reason.

EDIT-->OOPs didn't register that it isn't available here. Got it.

And I agree totally. In the construction business I've talk to many a mid-size P/U owner that would love to have the smaller diesel available. For more than a few reasons, but one is that they hop in and out of them nearly all day, and would rather leave it running than crank on the starter every 5 minutes. The reasons are varied, but smaller diesels are pretty commonplace in many other parts of the world.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Diesel is where it is at ladies and gentleman. Modern diesels are one of the cleanest forms of engergy you can get that still burns a fossil fuel.

I hope that we can get political favors and general big bucks lobbying out of the way and see diesel powered vehicles for what they really offer.

Excellent performance, superb reliability, excellent fuel efficiency, and clean exhaust emissions. Some of the new 2010 diesel powered vehicles actually put out exhaust that is cleaner than the air that comes into the engine!!! So they clean the air too!

I'm not joking either. There have been some tests done in some major urban areas, like LA, NY, etc. that have shown that the general ambient air quality was worse than the sampled exhaust coming out of the tail pipes of the vehicle. :yesway:

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Audi had a good commercial about Diesel (below). The problem is, when people think diesel, they see semis dump trucks all pillowing out black smoke, and yes even old diesel cars/trucks. But now with VW/Audi/Porsche Clean Diesel and Mercedes with their Blu-Tech (epic overpriced fail) Clean Diesel, it is better than Hybrids. Problem with Hybrids is A. you rely on coal to get electricity. B. batteries must be replaced after 5-10 years and they can only go to two places in the world Japan and China. And as we all know, the Prius is just gross looking.

But anyhow, AUDI put it pretty good in this commercial which I assume most have seen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk7fSIDPZOg]YouTube - Audi Official Commercial: Oil Parade[/ame]

Top Bottom