• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    Does anyone on here use or hunt over/near food plots? Also, do you have any tips for me to start my own food plot, such as location: in a field, edge of a field, woods, etc, brand: BioLogic or other brands? Any help would be great. Thanks.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    I bought a bag of "stuff" from a local mill near Ft Wayne a few years ago...can't remember the name but I spread it on about an acre and a half next to a swamp and woods. I get dear year round and have only planted one time. I also throw small charger salt blocks into the swamp every spring and summer to control mosquitoes...learned on an organic hippie site...controls the bugs very well but also absorbs into lots of the plants and is regularly visited but the salt is gone from the ground way before deer season so it is not considered baiting

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Well I haven't set out any plots yet. I'm wanting to plant a couple apple trees in our woods for this purpose. Plus to pick the apples to eat as well :) I may do an actual food plot this next year, hopefully it will lessen their eating our crops.

wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    planted plot before and yes it did get more travel. you dont have to spend the money for the name brand seed just go to the local seed mill of feed store they'll have it cheaper. as far as bang for the buck, plant winter wheat very early so its nice and tall. i always see deer in the wheat in the fall. including on my ground

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    We (Jakal and I) have sunk a lot of time and money into renovating a portion of our land dedicated for a clover field and some fruit trees. Apparently, clover is extremely high in protein which creates larger bucks with larger racks. YAY! Here's a link to get you started... Whitetail Institute. The Imperial Clover is what we went with.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I threw down some seed in a couple different places but close together. The last time I checked them they were doing fine but that has been over a month ago. I'll probably check them this weekend to see if there's any traffic. Mainly put the plots down for the hopes of increased traffic. There not in the best spots to hunt over but it could be possible.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Any ideals for easy food plots for late muzzleloader season? Crops are long gone & want something to attract deer.

to be honest for late muzzleloader i would plant corn and never harvest it. at times we have left a 20'x20' area because it was to wet or to many weeds and the deer flock to it once everything else is gone

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I got a bag of mix from rural king and planted a patch.. Took my tiller out and scuffed up a ~ 20x10' patch in a little clearing in the woods. Set my trail cam looking over and absolutely did increase traffic!

Well worth it.

Top Bottom