• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Anybody else have one of these? I'm not normally a fan of Striker guns but this one is so thin and light it's been spoiling me lately. Worth a look in my humble opinion.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I fondled one. Didn't really compare ergonomics compared to the fns. But I definitely liked the trigger and trigger reset better on the fns.

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I've read some guys don't think the trigger is that great but mine is wonderful. I had been comparing to some friends vp9s and 320s and for me at least this is the winner.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I love the size and ergonomics of the gun. The trigger seems really stiff and hard to me. I am hoping it softens and smooths out over the first few hundred rounds.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I love the size and ergonomics of the gun. The trigger seems really stiff and hard to me. I am hoping it softens and smooths out over the first few hundred rounds.

I don't recall when mine felt broke in, but after 2k ish rounds down range it is extremely crisp. I regularly put 2 to 3 hundred each trip to the range. I do wish it had a more tactile click at reset, but it is definitely no slouch of a trigger.

GlockDoc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Henry
    Haven't had the chance to shoot one yet, but have fondled one a couple times. Seems like a well built FN. They're really not known for making crap though, right?

INPoolPlayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    NOBLESVILLE
    I recently bought a new 509 and so far I couldn't be more pleased. The price was right. It's extremely well built. It feels great in my hand. I'm a relatively new shooter, but I shoot it better than all of the other striker fired 9mm guns I shot during my pre-purchase research process. I bought it as a home defense gun so I wasn't really concerned how easy it is to carry (or not), but I think you could carry it if you wanted to even though it has a full duty sized grip. Also, they just extended the 3 free mags promo through September.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Some of the latest reviews show them as just that "crap"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkaYMhSUIeo

Most guns they run fail. The 509 is far from crap, I have carried pistols for years in all kinds of environments and never dropped one in water then packed it with dirt and sand and thought it would be ok to keep using it. Hickock45 gives a truer review on all pistols than any of these nonsensical torture tests and he happens to rate the 509 pretty high. I have ran over 1k through mine without issue. I did have a box of bad ammo that my cz75 refused to feed as well, but my glock ate it just fine....

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Most of the time, guns pass his tests, the only ones I can remember as of late has been the FN 509 and the HK VP9.
    I believe just about every other hand gun he has tested in the same manner has passed.
    True, I will not be dunking my guns in water or packing them full of sand either, but I would like to know if something like that happened to it, it would still run.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The 509 is one the tightest polymer pistols I own tho. I can see the tight tolerances being an issue. If I were thinking I would be subject to water sand and potting soil contamination I'd probably be carrying my glock anyway. I just don't care about the glocks like I do my other pistols lol.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The 509 is one the tightest polymer pistols I own tho. I can see the tight tolerances being an issue. If I were thinking I would be subject to water sand and potting soil contamination I'd probably be carrying my glock anyway. I just don't care about the glocks like I do my other pistols lol.

Me either, that is one of many reasons I carry a Glock as an EDC. I know it will work, and IF I have to use it, when it is locked up in a property room somewhere it is easily replaced.
    Not knocking the 509, I was all about getting one and I still may. I typically like what FN makes, it was just very disappointing to watch it fail so miserably.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Me either, that is one of many reasons I carry a Glock as an EDC. I know it will work, and IF I have to use it, when it is locked up in a property room somewhere it is easily replaced.
    Not knocking the 509, I was all about getting one and I still may. I typically like what FN makes, it was just very disappointing to watch it fail so miserably.

I carry 509 daily, easiest way to put 17 rounds on your belt. Watch the hickock45 review it may give you a little confidence going in. The 509 is a good deal now, locally it can be had for 529 new, used 450 seems to be to mark with out extra mags from the promo. They did extend the magazine promo through September. I'd let you shoot mine if you ever shoot at atterbury, but I rarely get to plan to go its usually a before work thing.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I carry 509 daily, easiest way to put 17 rounds on your belt. Watch the hickock45 review it may give you a little confidence going in. The 509 is a good deal now, locally it can be had for 529 new, used 450 seems to be to mark with out extra mags from the promo. They did extend the magazine promo through September. I'd let you shoot mine if you ever shoot at atterbury, but I rarely get to plan to go its usually a before work thing.
    Hickock just shoots a gun and gives his opinion. I want to know what a gun will do under stress. The 509 failed this test.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    A sample of 1, running a course of tests 1 time, with no control is as far from scientific data as you get.

A tighter pistol will not be made for the same "stresses" as a looser one.

Armed Civilian gunfights rarely, if ever take place in a mud pit or on a wet sandy beach.

Most guns fail his tests in some form, a lot that fail are proven dependable in normal carry.

Hickock45 tests and generates an educated opinion over multiple days, shooting realistic situations. While MAC lives in a Tom Clancy novel.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    A sample of 1, running a course of tests 1 time, with no control is as far from scientific data as you get.

A tighter pistol will not be made for the same "stresses" as a looser one.

Armed Civilian gunfights rarely, if ever take place in a mud pit or on a wet sandy beach.

Most guns fail his tests in some form, a lot that fail are proven dependable in normal carry.

Hickock45 tests and generates an educated opinion over multiple days, shooting realistic situations. While MAC lives in a Tom Clancy novel.

If you say so, I just see a guy in his back yard shooting a gun. Nothing special. I can do that if buds gun shop supplied the guns and ammo.

INPoolPlayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    NOBLESVILLE
    These torture test videos make for good youtube content, but I don't think I'd put too much stock in them in terms of helping make a decision to buy. Too many variables to have truly accurate results, and those aren't real world conditions for mt situation. I'm much more concerned with how the gun performs under normal everyday use and conditions. That being said I saw another youtube torture test (can't remember the channel) that the 509 passed with flying colors.

Top Bottom