• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raiven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Texas toddler is first swine flu death in U.S.

CDC chief: 'Even though we've been expecting this, it is very, very sad'

breaking news
    msnbc.com and NBC News
    updated 42 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - After officials confirmed the death of a 23-month-old child in Texas from the new strain of swine flu on Wednesday, President Obama said schools should consider closing if the spread worsens. The toddler is the first fatality from the condition reported outside Mexico.
    Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, confirmed the fatality during an interview with NBC News.
    Besser told NBC's TODAY show that he didn't believe "this indicates any change in the strain of the flu."

Sixty-six infections had been reported in the United States before the report of the toddler's death in Texas.
    "Even though we've been expecting this, it is very, very sad," Besser added. "As a pediatrician and a parent, my heart goes out to the family."
    Besser said authorities essentially are still "trying to learn more about this strain of the flu."
    "It's very important that people take their concern and channel it into action," Besser said, adding that "it is crucial that people understand what they need to do if symptoms appear.
    Besser went on to note that even with seasonal flu, there are always some people who can’t resist it very well, and said authorities need to learn more about the threat.
    The world has no vaccine to prevent infection but U.S. health officials aim to have a key ingredient for one ready in early May, the big step that vaccine manufacturers are awaiting.
    But even if the World Health Organization ordered up emergency vaccine supplies — and that decision hasn't been made yet — it would take at least two more months to produce the initial shots needed for human safety testing

We're working together at 100 miles an hour to get material that will be useful," Dr. Jesse Goodman, who oversees the Food and Drug Administration's swine flu work, told The Associated Press.
    The U.S. is shipping to states not only enough anti-flu medication for 11 million people, but also masks, hospital supplies and flu test kits. President Barack Obama asked Congress for $1.5 billion in emergency funds to help build more drug stockpiles and monitor future cases, as well as help international efforts to avoid a full-fledged pandemic.
    Nearly a week after the threat of a pandemic emerged in Mexico, that country remained the hardest hit, with more than 150 killed and 2,400 people sickened. Cases have also been confirmed in Canada, New Zealand, Israel, Britain, Spain and Germany.
    This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Texas tot is first swine flu death in U.S. - Swine flu- msnbc.com

raiven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

well it hit out state.

Illinois reports first likely swine flu cases

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Posted Apr 29, 2009 @ 06:57 AM
    CHICAGO —
    Probable swine flu is being reported in Illinois.
    State public health officials said today that more than one case is being sent to federal authorities for confirmation.
    “Probable” means the Illinois Department of Public Health has conducted tests on patient specimens showing swine flu is probable.
    Read the rest of this story at HealthyRockford.com.

Illinois reports first likely swine flu cases - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    CDC says DEATHS IN THE US are expected and the flu is SPREADING :n00b:
    Officials say US deaths expected from swine flu

By SARA KUGLER and CRISTIAN SALAZAR, Associated Press Writers

"I fully expect we will see deaths from this infection," said Richard Besser, acting director of the CDC.

That was echoed by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.
    "It is very likely that we will see more serious presentations of illness and some deaths as we go through this flu cycle," she said. President Barack Obama asked Congress for $1.5 billion in emergency funds to fight the illness.

Still, U.S. officials stressed there was no need for panic and noted that flu outbreaks are quite common every year. The CDC estimates about 36,000 people in the U.S. died of flu-related causes each year, on average, in the 1990s.

I think chances are good they already knew that the little boy in TX was terminal when this came out and where just "preping" the US for the 1st death report. Not looking at all good people.

The foriegn news medias are releasing a much grimmer picture of what is occuring in Mexico than the US Media. It's not just Mexico City but also Tijuana that now has the virus as well along with possible dead (not confirmed).

All in all I blame our current administration for NOT ACTING fast enough to do something. They now have the blood of a dead 24 month old to deal with. I want to see how they plan on blaming bush for this one. This one is all I6BO's mess to deal with.

The tin foil hat of mine reminds me of that saying Biden said. Before the first 6 months of I6BO's presidency he will be challenged by something major. Could this be it?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    OK here is an update.

Mel's whole class is sick. She attends St John The Evangelist Catholic School in St John, IN (Lake County).

The 8th grade kids are getting ready for "confirmation" into the Catholic Church, they all attended a 2.5 day long retreat at Andrean Catholic High School (Merrillville, IN/Lake County) beginning Friday. There were children from SEVERAL OTHER SCHOOLS present at the retreat. I know that kids from the LAKE CENTRAL, the HANOVER TOWNSHIP and the TRI-CREEK school districts were in attendance. I do not know how many other school districts had some children represented at the event. It was called the "Source & Summit" and it was primarily attended by 8th grade students. While this event was limited to CATHOLIC children, the students came from BOTH PUBLIC and Catholic Schools.

Now I know of at least one student who attended who vacationed in Mexico over her spring break a couple weeks ago. I know of one who vacationed in southern California. There were probably many more. That all said, there is NO REASON to think this is the "swine flu" and it is statistically far more likely to be any of the common seasonal flues that are ALREADY common in this area and ALREADY spreading.

But just to be safe, I made a bacon sandwich for lunch :rockwoot:

From the looks of things, the SWINE FLU did NOT hit the kids at my daughter's school. It appears to be a simple 48 hour bug and while the school was sending kids home at a fast pace because of it, it turned out to be a false alarm with really bad timing.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I heard there was a case of a student at the University of Notre Dame that was recovering from it so apparently we have had one case.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I did some prepping for flu related situation based on info off of SurvivalBlog. Got some immodium AD, ibuprofen, expectorants, gloves, electrolytes, etc. Interestingly, Wal mart (don't usually shop there) was out of N95 respirators!?

By the by, 30,000 people or so a year die of flu related reasons on average in the United States, almost as many as gun related deaths, but less then auto related deaths.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Also, it is sad that the first death on US soil was a toddler, but, the child was NOT a US citizen but a Mexican National that came to Texas for treatment...
    Am I the only one that finds this disturbing? The borders SHOULD be closed and people should NOT have the option of coming here for treatment. It's just common sence!

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another update, we're all still running fevers, still coughing, still sore throats, still achy, and about 1 am last night I developed a steady, "leaky facet" type drip from my sinuses, so we all stayed home again today.

Now while we have not been to Mexico in a few years we have had alot of contact with people who regularly traverse the border, I kid you not around half of our church's congregation (we're Catholic) are probably here illegally, along with a likewise percentage of my daughter's classmates (Catholic school) are also of questionable U.S. nationality, so it is possible that we had exposure to the H1N1 swine flu.

However as I have mentioned previously the symptoms do not seem any more severe than any other strain of influenza that I've ever had, but then again we did get flu shots late last fall so we may have still had some anti-bodies in our system protecting us or something (I'm not exactly sure how it works).

If it persists we'll go get tested/treated but I think this pandemic might turn out to be just like the whole horde of other "viral scares" that come around every couple of years (ie: SARS, mad cow, west nile, H5N1 avian flu, etc).

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    CDC warning...DO NOT DO THIS!!!

untitled.jpg

In all seriousness, be safe , wash your hands and get checked out if you have any symptoms...we just don't know what this thing is going to get to yet.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Yep I asked that very question the second day.Why is the border STILL open???

This is the kinda question that needs to be asked...Kinda like why do they wanna micro-chip the American people in the name of security, but continue to leave the border wide open. It just doesn't make any sense...

The border is open because they want the border open... Our health, well being and security, is not what is on their agenda...I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand...

IndianaWoodsman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    East Central
    Does anyone here find it strange that this swine flu "epidemic" blows up in the same week that Mr. Obama pushes globalized healthcare?

This is also getting far more attention in a much shorter ammount of time than did avian flu or mad cow disease. Why?

Are there really that many cases of "swine flu" or are there alot of cases of bad colds and flu-like symtoms due to changing weather?

raiven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Maine confirms three swine flu cases
    Apr 29, 01:01 PM EDT

BOSTON (Reuters) - Three adults in the northeastern U.S. state of Maine were diagnosed on Wednesday with H1N1 swine flu and are recovering in their homes, the governor's office said.

"It is important for the citizens of Maine to prepare for this as they would any other emergency situation," Governor John Baldacci said in a statement.

(Reporting by Jason Szep)

Massachusetts confirms two cases of swine flu
    Apr 29, 10:53 AM EDT

BOSTON (Reuters) - Massachusetts authorities on Wednesday confirmed two cases of H1N1 swine flu, the first official reported cases of the virus in the New England region.

The Massachusetts Department of Public Health said two children had tested positive for the virus.

(Editing by Will Dunham)

Insight Broadband

raiven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Illinois logs 9 probable cases of swine flu

CHICAGO (AP) -- The head of the Illinois Department of Public Health says the state has logged nine probable cases of swine flu, all in northern Illinois.

Dr. Damon Arnold says five of the probable cases are in Chicago, while two are in Kane County and single cases are being reported in both Lake and DuPage counties. The people diagnosed range in age from 6 to 57.

Arnold says all the cases so far have been mild and nobody has been hospitalized.

Arnold appeared at a news conference Wednesday called in the wake of Chicago's decision to close an elementary school after one student there was found to have a probable case of swine flu.

Arnold, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, Gov. Pat Quinn and other officials all stressed that the state is working hard to prevent further illnesses.

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IL_...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom