• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I currently use either a Fenix or Surefire light. I really like Elzetta lights but they don't have anything that gets me excited to carry.
    The next light I buy though will be the Surefire E2T-MV and it will be the flashlight that will start going with me every day.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The EDC flashlight world changes with new LED versions and the battery. It is so strange to see such a little light vastly outshine a 5d mag lite we used for years. The wonderlights are great.

This. I have 5d maglites in every vehicle I own. When I get them out now to check batteries, the just seem.... dim.

the Fenix UC35 looks awesome but the price is salty for me considering it would sit in a vehicle for emergency purposes only. But lumens is like horsepower, more is better.

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    I haven't seen anybody mention LED Lensor flashlights. Made by Leatherman Co. Brightest light I have ever owned. The light will freeze someone like a deer in the headlight.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    This. I have 5d maglites in every vehicle I own. When I get them out now to check batteries, the just seem.... dim.

the Fenix UC35 looks awesome but the price is salty for me considering it would sit in a vehicle for emergency purposes only. But lumens is like horsepower, more is better.

My opinion: at this time, the Fenix UC35 is the best EDC flashlight on the market when considering durability, reliability, performance, features, and price. I carry one and it's what I recommend when asked.

FYI... My Fenix UC35 was run over by at least one car before I found it. Still functions 100%, but no longer water proof.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've not found anything that can hang with Surefire's switches or overall build quality, though I have tried dozens of contenders.

Same here. I worked as a night watchmen for about 10 years and during that time, went through a ton of flashlights. Nothing came close in durability to Surefire.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    IMG_20171211_211601.jpg

I did a little experiment with my Fenix PD35 and G43 with CT green laser (not pictured.), last night. With an good two handed hold in the dark with snow blanketing everything I was able to activate my handheld and my laser and managed to get a good sight picture without being blinded by the splashback from the snow and thousand lumens. On top of that I was still able to see my laser.

BTW, not a huge fan of strobe, but some in the know guys do like them.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I carry the poly tac 90 I like the 90 degree head, clip and belt clip. I have one clipped on my radio strap at work, works great for hands free light. Hi/low and strobe. I actually use the strobe for my location to co workers.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Check out L.A. Police gear on line. Think they have a bunch.

I ditched my Surefire. It was too much for everyday tasks and having to buy CR123 got old. Went with a LED Lenses from Cabelas. Has high, low, and strobe. Beam is also able to be focused by a sliding end cap. Light weight, rugged, nice features, overall nice light. Used it all summer without charging it. Happy!

Also keep some cheap Streamlight stylus pros stashed around.

It's all personal preference, desired use, and budget.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...the Fenix UC35 is the best EDC flashlight on the market when considering durability, reliability, performance, features, and price. I carry one and it's what I recommend when asked.

Look buddy, a 250 lumen USB rechargeable Streamlight Microstream. Built in hat clip. :rockwoot:

stream.jpg

Streamlight Introduces Rechargeable Microstream USB | Down Range TV

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I trust my life to mine and surefire is where it's at for reliability. Have broken 2 of the stream light weapon lights. Not had a single issue with my x300s.

I carry either a surefire e1d or a hds rotary light. Both single cr123 or rcr work and produce 300 lumens. Great usability and always work.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I just picked up a Pelican 7100 rechargeable 700 Lumen LED flashlight for my dad's x-mas present... of course I took it out of the box to "charge it" LOL... can't give him a dead light.

I like the size, but is SLICK and the guard on the tail cap makes it difficult to get enough pressure on the cap switch. The programmable UI (order of light modes) is nice but for what it does it's surprisingly limited in options. I set it to LO-MID-HI which disables the strobe function but the tail cap being mode selection makes the light very touchy to use.... I will have to see what he thinks. Fenix's two button UI (tail cap flash/on/off and side mode select) is better with the exception of it of course being non programmable.

It uses a small lithium cell the same size as a AA alkaline battery, which it can also use but will only throw about 60-100 lumens.

Last edited:

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Get yourself a surefire lumamax Lx2, and an E series pocket clip, as the factory one is prone to breaking. If you want a light that has lo/hi momentary, this is the best light by far. The momentary switch is low when pressed slightly, and when pressed all the way down it’s full output, but in either position it can be released immediately. Then to keep it on you twist slightly for li and twist more for high. No clicky switch, no BS strobe mode, it’s the best EDC light that stays uncompromising in the features necessary to be a true tactical light. It runs on 123’s but they last decently long if you use it on lo when using it for everyday illumination. Other lights mentioned in this thread are decent, namely streamlight, but no other company understands tactically what it is to be a fighting flashlight. They get the features wrong. Every. Time. I’m chronically frugal with gear but sometimes you spec out features you need and there really only arises one model or brand. Also it’s a good size to use as a striking tool in nonpermissive environments on on the lower end of the force continuum if you aren’t justified in using a gun.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Get yourself a surefire lumamax Lx2, and an E series pocket clip, as the factory one is prone to breaking. If you want a light that has lo/hi momentary, this is the best light by far. The momentary switch is low when pressed slightly, and when pressed all the way down it’s full output, but in either position it can be released immediately. Then to keep it on you twist slightly for li and twist more for high. No clicky switch, no BS strobe mode, it’s the best EDC light that stays uncompromising in the features necessary to be a true tactical light. It runs on 123’s but they last decently long if you use it on lo when using it for everyday illumination. Other lights mentioned in this thread are decent, namely streamlight, but no other company understands tactically what it is to be a fighting flashlight. They get the features wrong. Every. Time. I’m chronically frugal with gear but sometimes you spec out features you need and there really only arises one model or brand. Also it’s a good size to use as a striking tool in nonpermissive environments on on the lower end of the force continuum if you aren’t justified in using a gun.
    . Good luck with that, the LX2 has been discontinued for a couple of years.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    If one were to use eBay that’s a possibility, but counterfeiting is alive and well on the bay of e’s. Caveat Emptor. Look into a Surefire Tactician.
    I've bought three from eBay, two new ones and one used. I must of had good luck then. Also I'm not saying to doesn't happen but it is an option to get a new one. You can find used ones on flashlight forums too.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've not found anything that can hang with Surefire's switches or overall build quality, though I have tried dozens of contenders.

I have a Rayovac that is 6 years old. Carried and used every day. It was $35. I bought it just to get me by until I could afford a better light. It's still going strong. 2 CR123's is good for 150 lumen. As much as I use it, I figured the switch would have taken a :poop: by now. But it still keeps going.

I've bought a few other lights but none seem to do the job as good as my Rayovac.

MTUFuX1.jpg

Mine has a strobe feature. I've used it for signalling and for having fun with wild animals. Never for a defensive situation.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom