• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    I've gotten interested in learning how to fish. I haven't done it since before moving to Indiana back in 1993, and even before then it wasn't very serious.

I know the mechanics of casting, but everything else beyond that is pretty much nonexistent. I'm mainly interested in shoreline fishing rivers and lakes and whatnot. I have no idea how to figure out the best variety of starter tackle to get, and then no idea how to use it effectively. As I'm looking around for info, I see a lot of information and there's a LOT more options out there than there was back in those days.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or maybe be willing to let my skill-less ass tag along on an outing sometime to learn some things, that'd be great.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have plenty of advice, but i do not shorline fish, nor do i know how to give fishing advice over the internet.

Perhaps just stop by the shorlines where you see people fishing and ask what they are doing and why. thats how i start fishing waters that are unknown to me 90 percent of the time.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    Shorefishing success depends on several factors:

Species sought
    water depth,clarity and temperature
    Fishing pressure.

I would suggest starting out using live bait, and try fishing off the bottom and see what you come up with. Worms will do. You have to know where deep spots are, what kind of bottom you're dealing with (rocks,sand vegetation submerged debris) and know where fish spend the day.

Early morning and evening are usually the best bites.

Not really sure what you are looking for?

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    For a baseline on shoreline fishing, start with live bait and a bobber. Nightcrawlers are my favorite, these will target bluegill and bass. Try hotdogs for catfish if you want. For starters your best bet would be a smaller pond in the evening hours once its cooled down a little.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I went through this last summer. Consider hiring a fishing guide. I bought a bunch of equipment and stuff but money and equipment didn't solve where to go and what to do. The guide has worked out great and in the long run I haven't wasted money. I live in an area with a lot of fishing options which also helps

birdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Lowell
    I do a lot of shoreline fishing in ponds and bayous. As those above me have said, live bait is always a good option. I find that a night crawler, a split shot, and a little patience can land you some panfish, bass, and catfish depending on your location.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Shorefishing success depends on several factors:

Species sought
    water depth,clarity and temperature
    Fishing pressure.

I would suggest starting out using live bait, and try fishing off the bottom and see what you come up with. Worms will do. You have to know where deep spots are, what kind of bottom you're dealing with (rocks,sand vegetation submerged debris) and know where fish spend the day.

Early morning and evening are usually the best bites.

Not really sure what you are looking for?

I'm so green that I'm not sure what specific questions to ask, but everyone so far has given me at least a starting point.

I can Google stuff all day but, like everything else, trying to figure out what's legit and what's not can really be a PITA. If there are any specific resources people know of that give more specific ideas, that's also cool.

I thought about a fishing guide but that's another thing I'm not completely sure of. How to figure out who's useful and who's not is a pretty daunting task, especially since they're not exactly cheap.

Thanks to everyone so far. Good to know I should be able to start pretty simply.

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    Top Bottom