fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    remember...nice and easy. I plan a 200-300 gal tank next year, wife isn't sure about it so we got a 10 gal for a little while, then come into possession of a 55 gal, then I'll go for the kill. I've also been told it helps to involve her in some degree, that will make it go easier.
    I've been having her look at the fish with me whenever we go to the store. I know I won't be buying my fish at Meijer or Wal-Mart but it does help that every time we go my son loves to watch them :).

Oh man, I've heard that before! I was gonna offer to sell you my 90 gallon setup, but I doubt she'd be happy about that one!
    Ha. I'd be happy with a 20~55 gallon for a while I imagine.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've been having her look at the fish with me whenever we go to the store. I know I won't be buying my fish at Meijer or Wal-Mart but it does help that every time we go my son loves to watch them :).

Ha. I'd be happy with a 20~55 gallon for a while I imagine.

Go to inland aquatics? It's a pretty cool place, I wanted to go to Alantis but didn't have time last time I was in the area.

Etorg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    fort wayne
    I'm not big on cichlids with big foreheads, not sure why I just prefer my peacocks. Very vibrant fish for sure.

I'm feeding them new life spectrum, they seem to like it a lot and you can tell which is the dominate male in this tank(yellow and blue are showing up). Which reminds me, I have two jakes with blue-ish lips and 3 with brown/grey lips...are the blue lips indicator of gender? I'm thinking about getting some more of the same kind of fish, maybe more females.

'Have had two different kinds of cichlids with big foreheads...a Malawi Blue Moorii (very agressive fish if other of same in tank)...and a mated pair of Tanganyka Cyphotylapia Frontosa (forgive any wrong spelling). I financed a 75gal setup selling Frontosa babies to local shops once I returned to Indiana after 10 yrs in Fla. Unfortunately, after about the 4th brood...I returned the female back into the tank with the male too early...he killed her, then he died about one and one half days later...I was stunned.

for determining gender of cichlids see Determing Your Cichlids' Gender I used to just buy at least 3 of any kind if they were still too small to determine gender by visual inspection while the fish were still in the store's tanks...but, after the fish get to about 1-1/2" long (Malawi and Victoria ofc), you can see the start of colors and especially egg spots on the male's bottom/rear fin...as mouthbrooders, the males will have egg spots so females will frequently attempt to suck the eggs back into her mouth...at which time, the male will disperse sperm...also, male fins are pointier...however, the only "for sure" way is to check underside of fish while holding in hand...see link above

in general, males are:
    -bigger
    -have more color
    -have egg spots
    -have pointier fins

to be sure of gender, inspect genital area of the fish...also, search web for pictures of pairs

Last edited:

Etorg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    fort wayne
    I used to buy cereal-box-sized flake food from Fish & Aquarium Supplies: Cichlid Food ...doesn't look like they offer the boxes anymore...however, this web site is a good one, with great inventory and frequent sales/etc...I've purchased heaters, filters, food, etc from these guys

also, some sinking pellets/etc for when I had shell-dwellers of Tanganyka and other bottom dwelling fish...whether they were bottom dwelling fish by nature, or bottom dwelling fish for any other reason as tank set up determines

Never over-feed!!!

Last edited:

Etorg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    fort wayne

st_lg_19797_350_FS28072D.jpg

Filtration: rated for 75gal tank...I would put two of these on a 55gal cichlid tank...right now can have a pair for about $50 from Aquarium Power Filters: Marineland Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Filters

The only canister I ever owned was a Hot Magnum I used for cleaning gravel

The largest tank I ever had was a tall 90gal that I had a wet/dry filter under the tank...I like these types of filters...much easier to clean than canisters...and, can choose the pump you want...also...the wet/dry thing develops an incredible amount of bacteria/filter bed, oxygenizes the water and filter media much better than the closed system of a canister

just remember:
    -the more filter you have, the more fish you can support with the added filter/bacteria
    -the more you feed your fish = need more filter or need clean tank/filter/water more often

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

View attachment 24044

Filtration: rated for 75gal tank...I would put two of these on a 55gal cichlid tank...right now can have a pair for about $50 from Aquarium Power Filters: Marineland Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Filters

The only canister I ever owned was a Hot Magnum I used for cleaning gravel

The largest tank I ever had was a tall 90gal that I had a wet/dry filter under the tank...I like these types of filters...much easier to clean than canisters...and, can choose the pump you want...also...the wet/dry thing develops an incredible amount of bacteria/filter bed, oxygenizes the water and filter media much better than the closed system of a canister

just remember:
    -the more filter you have, the more fish you can support with the added filter/bacteria
    -the more you feed your fish = need more filter or need clean tank/filter/water more often

cheap filters...are they good filters? I really like the aquaclear 30 I have on my 10 gal, does a really good job and I like how the filter medium are horizontal and not vertical...are those cheap filter horizontal or vertical?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I put the rainbow shark back in the 55 gal...been in there since 10:30am, so far, they seems to be getting along just fine. I'm thinking about assembling couple more bridges/caves for the fish to chill out in

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    cheap filters...are they good filters? I really like the aquaclear 30 I have on my 10 gal, does a really good job and I like how the filter medium are horizontal and not vertical...are those cheap filter horizontal or vertical?

I've got two Fluval Aquaclear 50s on my 29gallon, but have really been eyeballing one or two of these for my 40 breeder setup, since I don't have room for a sump or canister...

Amazon.com: Fluval C4 Power Filter: Pet Supplies

Looks like the way they're designed they'd have less 'blow-by' than my Aquaclears...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've got two Fluval Aquaclear 50s on my 29gallon, but have really been eyeballing one or two of these for my 40 breeder setup, since I don't have room for a sump or canister...

Amazon.com: Fluval C4 Power Filter: Pet Supplies

Looks like the way they're designed they'd have less 'blow-by' than my Aquaclears...

how do you have your medium set up in your aquaclear? I have a polish pad in the area that the intake tube sit in...no blow by

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have friends that are hard-core into racing... I could drop an engine off and pick it up a week later and it'd be fully rebuilt and ready to handle 20 PSI of boost to boot... My friends are all crazy into turbo'ing EVERYTHING.

Top Bottom