• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Headed to my first competition, pretty excited. I was loading up this morning and as I grabbed my belt, I realized I have no comp gear. All my stuff is shtf kit. I know new guys are usually helped out a lot by the older guys. So, im not too nervous about getting picked on seriously. The guys in going with are all new-ish And we're all running production cz-75 variants. I guess it's too late to ask for any advice as it starts at 1030, but I just wanted to share. I did bring a note pad, as I'm a notorious now taker.

Also baby woke me up at 3am. I burnt, yes burnt the coffee, woke up my wife with the smoke alarm. Get yelled at, understandably. And my pants I wanted to wear didn't dry all the way through last night... I feel like all the bad energy got left at home. LETS GO!!

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Yup, uspsa. Headed up to Muskego, WI I love it up here! I've only been this far north once. I need to visit more.
    It'll definitely be fun. Anytime I can pull the trigger Is a good day. Just have to be extra mindful of safety. I'm not used to shooting around this many people. I will be going slow and steady today. My goal is to learn, meet people, and remember my training.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I still haven't made it home, bit man oh man. It's worse than crack! I drank the kool-aid and I'm in! A couple buddies helped me out with my gear situation. I forgot a target on 3 of the stages but I was otherwise "keeping up" and making my hits. I love the sounds of 2 alpha. I will get more next time. I got a couple of videos and the other shooters pointed out a couple of things to work on.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I did have to switch to my back up gun after stage one. I had a what I think was operator induced fee. I have a history with that on my 75b. I ran my cz 85b the rest of the day and it was flawless.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Me too. :-)

As long as you can carry enough mags for a 36-round course on your belt, don’t worry about your gear. And don’t try to go fast. Just be safe, be smooth, and be efficient. The speed will come.
    I like your name. :thumbsup:
    That was my goal for the day. I was happy with where I placed. 50th out of 59. But I did have a fte 3 rounds in... my training kicked in, didn't hesitate and kept on shooting. One stage I even scored 3rd highest! I'm still not sure how scoring goes, but im only looking at them for fun. I'm still excited a day later..

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Scoring simply is points per second

10 (2 alpha) points in 2 seconds 10÷2=5.00 hit factor

Alpha is 5
    Charlie is 4(major) or 3 (minor)
    Delta is 2(major

Miss is -10
    No shoot (-10 per shot)
    Procedural (aka not following rules is -10)

Each paper target has a max value or 10 (2 alpha)

Steel target max value is 5 (1 alpha)

Score 160 points in 40 seconds the hit factor is 4

Score 130 points in 10 seconds and your hit factor is 13

So scoring points as fast and safe as you can is the goal.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Scoring simply is points per second

10 (2 alpha) points in 2 seconds 10÷2=5.00 hit factor

Alpha is 5
    Charlie is 4(major) or 3 (minor)
    Delta is 2(major

Miss is -10
    No shoot (-10 per shot)
    Procedural (aka not following rules is -10)

Each paper target has a max value or 10 (2 alpha)

Steel target max value is 5 (1 alpha)

Score 160 points in 40 seconds the hit factor is 4

Score 130 points in 10 seconds and your hit factor is 13

So scoring points as fast and safe as you can is the goal.
    ok, It was as simple as I was making it difficult. I got confused on the minor/major thing. I know that has to do with ammo something or another. I was shooting minor, I believe. 9mm 115gr factory ammo. Ill worry about the finessing that extra point later. For now, I'll just worry about my transitions and reloading. That was my biggest downside.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    Major/minor just affects whether the zones on the target score 5/4/2 or 5/3/1 points. 9mm is minor.

Overall ranking is based on stage points, which are based on your Hit Factor compared to the highest HF for that stage. Highest HF gets 100% of the stage points, which is the number of points on that stage. (60 SP for a 12-round stage for example.) If highest HF is 5.0 and yours is 4.0, then you get 80% of the SP for that stage. (48 in this example) Highest total SP for the day wins overall.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    This question may belong elsewhere but since it is a newbie thread it may be appilcable:

So USPSA and Steel Challenge had a baby - Rimfire Falling Steel. (What a blast!)
    I have only shot one very small USPSA match so near "0" experience with the maybe unwritten rules.
    How is the "viewing" of the stage handled? It seemed that at times several people where in the shooting area figuring out the stage and at other times competitors were lining up at the start spot and going through one by one to plan their run.
    I want to be courteous and fit in. Also, can you repeat your look-see? Is the squads viewing time somewhat determined by the RO and if your squad is running behind or ahead of the other squads?......
    Please advise.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Matches like that are great for training under stress.
    I did a carry match. Was the youngest by far. Most of the other guys had been to several before. Didn't get DQ'ed, and didn't do anything dumb. Placed 2nd to last, but had a fun time.

Top Bottom