Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    250 is 45cc
    261 is 50cc but the pro version
    271 is 50cc but the homeowner version.

The 261 has an adjustable chain oiler, the 271 doesn't. Big advantage since the 271 is kind of skimpy on oil.

I have a 271 that I've had for a few years. I somehow managed to burn the piston out and rebuilt it. So far, it's been running well. I recently upgraded because I need a larger bar size and my 271 was slow with a 20 inch bar. I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy, so I went big.

Figure out what size bar you plan on running. If 20 inch max, the 271 works. If you're a buy once, cry once, get the 261.
    Did you upgrade to the 261? Or a different model?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Echo is 50:1 so getting a Stihl wouldn't be a problem.
    I wasn't sure. I have a big box store Ryobi trimmer that is 40:1. It has far surpassed in service what I have invested in it, so I'm happy with that. Although, it is the 2nd one of the same model I've had in 10 years. They're like 149 beans out the door.

It's the one that you can swap out heads on it. I have the sidewalk edger and a sawblade head for saplings and such brush stuff.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Any members sell good seasoned firewood in the Indy/Fishers/Noblesville area? After multiple back surgeries,I'im not able to cut/split my own anymore.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Not much to it. Free trailer that was sitting in the yard. $200 in steel. $20 come along.

My daughter has some large trees that I'm dropping into a field, and then moving into her yard. This should help keep the front end of the logs from digging in when I pull them.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I want a 462 with the wrap around handle and 28" bar. I have absolutely no justification for a saw that size.

But I still want it.
    It’s not a saw for most folks. I do heat with a wood boiler..
    I use my ms460 more than any other saw I have. Sometimes overkill but it just works faster. I can pile smaller logs and cut 6-8 pieces at a time. I’m cutting on the neighbors property and he had dropped all the trees close together and pushed them in piles. I’ve never been able to cut so many loads this quick. This doesn’t happen often so I’m enjoying it! Headed out this morning when I get home from work.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Any saw size that I should get as a do it all saw? Not planning on taking down giant trees as of right now. I have a 16” ego electric saw lol obviously that isn’t going to cut it.:joke: Was looking at the farmhand / rancher series saws I have no allegiance to any brands my only gas outdoor gear as of right now is an echo leaf blower
    Don't overlook the Echo CS-590. It's a great value in a 60cc class saw. From all of the research I did, they get VERY positive reviews and are often referred to as "semi-professional" or "heavy duty homeowner".
    They seem to get used with 20" bars the most, but if you occasionally have a need for a 24" bar for felling/bucking larger stuff, the 590 will pull one if you don't "horse" it too badly.

Here's a typical review.....Echo CS-590

One last thing, they come with a nice warranty too.....5 year homeowner, 1 year commercial

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    c87fa50e2f0ab9487862e23af0897a23.jpg

Sold 3 loads today. I’m relieved my 9’ long and 4.5’ tall stacks fit in a long bed with a tool box.

Top Bottom