• ...and so much more!
  • t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    So I got my moisture meter now that oak everyone was concerned with is 12%-12.9% so definitely not ideal but I’m sure it could be worse
    From ALL the videos and articles about firewood I have seen/read, less than 20% is the standard recommended moisture content of firewood.

To properly check it, you should split a larger piece and check the fresh split surface in the middle of it's length.

Last edited:

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    It's sounding more and more tempting for me to add one. The heat pump alone will keep up until 10‐15° or so, then the auxiliary electric heat has to kick in...
    Same boat I'm in! I have a fireplace, but its just for looks apparently. I've been looking at getting an insert.

Any suggestions on brands guys?

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Same boat I'm in! I have a fireplace, but its just for looks apparently. I've been looking at getting an insert.

Maybe a fisher? They don't make them anymore but see inserts for sell alot. The freestanding stoves seem to go for way more

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So I got my moisture meter now that oak everyone was concerned with is 12%-12.9% so definitely not ideal but I’m sure it could be worse
    From ALL the videos and articles about firewood I have seen/read, less than 20% is the standard recommended moisture content of firewood.

To properly check it, you should split a larger piece and check the fresh split surface in the middle of it's length.
    I've seen the same thing as t-squared, below 20% is optimal. I have also seen claims that below 15% is too dry!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

Is your current model a direct vent, with a glass front and all the heat exits out a vent to the outside?

I had one of these on my last house (natural gas) and removed it and put in a ventless, where it has an open front and all of the heat stays inside the house. It put out an incredible amount of heat.

Wish we had natural gas at the new place, but it's all electric and very remote.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Wish we had natural gas at the new place, but it's all electric and very remote.
    Wandering off the current topic, but....

Man, in this day and age, that would make me nervous. Do you have, or are you planning on adding, a generator of some sort? In total electric situations, a decent sized generator that is multi-fuel is a must.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Is your current model a direct vent, with a glass front and all the heat exits out a vent to the outside?

I had one of these on my last house (natural gas) and removed it and put in a ventless, where it has an open front and all of the heat stays inside the house. It put out an incredible amount of heat.

Yes, direct vent, glass front but it does have a blower. I honestly haven't used it. Didn't have a chance to get any wood last year (moved in November last year). I've been told it won't be great for heat. That room has a vaulted ceiling, so I have to overcome that as well. I have read that it can't burn with rhe doors shut because they are tempered glass and they can't handle the heat. My wifw is freaking because the hearth isn't very deep and then carpet. The insert seems safer with the door shut.

The inserts look pricey and now have all the dang emission BS. Thats just what I want, a catalytic converter for my fireplace!

I am all electric as well. The 27kw back up generator with a 500 gal propane tank took priority over the fireplace this year. I also got a tankless propane water heater since I had the tank now. I held off getting a deer last year and we kept bare bones in the fridge/freezer in case of lost power like in June in some areas. We are stocked now!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Wandering off the current topic, but....

Man, in this day and age, that would make me nervous. Do you have, or are you planning on adding, a generator of some sort? In total electric situations, a decent sized generator that is multi-fuel is a must.

Yep, the gen will run it all!

I'm not nervous, in a true SHTF situation natural gas service will likely stop, rendering all the Generac's useless.

We lost power on Friday night for about an hour.

I had the gen on and running in 5 minutes, Netflix even saved our spot. I didn't get a text that it was back on, but noticed the light on our power pole was lit back up.

Our heat pump will still keep up down to 5-10°, before the auxiliary heat needs to kick in.

It's much better out here in the sticks vs a 400 house subdivision, being one of the handful with a generator.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Yes, direct vent, glass front but it does have a blower. I honestly haven't used it. Didn't have a chance to get any wood last year (moved in November last year). I've been told it won't be great for heat. That room has a vaulted ceiling, so I have to overcome that as well. I have read that it can't burn with rhe doors shut because they are tempered glass and they can't handle the heat. My wifw is freaking because the hearth isn't very deep and then carpet. The insert seems safer with the door shut.

The inserts look pricey and now have all the dang emission BS. Thats just what I want, a catalytic converter for my fireplace!

I am all electric as well. The 27kw back up generator with a 500 gal propane tank took priority over the fireplace this year. I also got a tankless propane water heater since I had the tank now. I held off getting a deer last year and we kept bare bones in the fridge/freezer in case of lost power like in June in some areas. We are stocked now!
    Thread drift!

We lost power for a few days when the tornadoes came thru, but I already had my generator setup. I opted against the Generac with a 500 gallon propane tank, not only due to having to add a propane tank, but I researched how quickly it'll suck down that tank.

I picked up a 13kw unit that'll run on gas or propane (even grabbed a spare when it was on sale again). I keep enough gas on hand to run it a week. My mom is on propane, so for her, it made sense to have it run off her existing tank.

Your fireplace is wood burning I take it? IIRC, the ventless natural gas fireplace insert wasn't that expensive (but this was back in 2009), it was the tile around it and new mantle that brought the cost up a bit.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Thread drift!

We lost power for a few days when the tornadoes came thru, but I already had my generator setup. I opted against the Generac with a 500 gallon propane tank, not only due to having to add a propane tank, but I researched how quickly it'll suck down that tank.

I picked up a 13kw unit that'll run on gas or propane (even grabbed a spare when it was on sale again). I keep enough gas on hand to run it a week. My mom is on propane, so for her, it made sense to have it run off her existing tank.

Your fireplace is wood burning I take it? IIRC, the ventless natural gas fireplace insert wasn't that expensive (but this was back in 2009), it was the tile around it and new mantle that brought the cost up a bit.
    Yeah the backup generator will only run for 5 days at 100% and maybe 2 weeks at 50%. If I'm not trying to heat, I could get more maybe. I'm going to get a small 5-7kw propane generator to hook into my panel and get a port in the propane line for a true SHTF. Just enough to power my well pump, freezers and fridge and a couple led lights. That should sip the propane and extend my time. I even thought about a remote start generator and only turn it on a couple times a day.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Any saw size that I should get as a do it all saw? Not planning on taking down giant trees as of right now. I have a 16” ego electric saw lol obviously that isn’t going to cut it.:joke: Was looking at the farmhand / rancher series saws I have no allegiance to any brands my only gas outdoor gear as of right now is an echo leaf blower

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Any saw size that I should get as a do it all saw? Not planning on taking down giant trees as of right now. I have a 16” ego electric saw lol obviously that isn’t going to cut it.:joke: Was looking at the farmhand / rancher series saws I have no allegiance to any brands my only gas outdoor gear as of right now is an echo leaf blower
    20" seems to be a good all-around size for me.

I picked up two new 20" Craftsmans off FB marketplace for $100 each. Over a year later and I have no qualms with my decision.

So far, they've sat in the garage for a month or two without use, but they both start first pull and have handled everything I've thrown at them.

Granted, they aren't a Stihl, but I'm not a heavy user...

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I went with the Stihl MS261C in 20". I was told by a pro to get the 250 and just pitch it if it gets too expensive to repair and buy a new one. He said that's what they do. I couldn't help myself and wanted the extra power!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    250 is 45cc
    261 is 50cc but the pro version
    271 is 50cc but the homeowner version.

The 261 has an adjustable chain oiler, the 271 doesn't. Big advantage since the 271 is kind of skimpy on oil.

I have a 271 that I've had for a few years. I somehow managed to burn the piston out and rebuilt it. So far, it's been running well. I recently upgraded because I need a larger bar size and my 271 was slow with a 20 inch bar. I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy, so I went big.

Figure out what size bar you plan on running. If 20 inch max, the 271 works. If you're a buy once, cry once, get the 261.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The annoyance I ran into with gas outdoor gear was different equipment calling for different gas:oil fuel ratios. I'm waiting for my string trimmer to die so I can buy a Stihl brand to match my chainsaws.

I have a lightweight saw with a 16" bar and a medium duty saw with a 20" bar. Both allow us to cut up to 22" diameter (or so) trees, limb and round them without wearing us out.

Echo makes a decent line of chainsaws, a friend of mine has one and I've ran it. He uses it occasionally without issues. You might consider one just to simplify your fueling requirements.

I think what really makes all the difference to your experience is making sure you always put stabilizer in your fuel. In my experience it has made all the difference when I go to start whatever tool I'm using.

Top Bottom