• ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Safes are not fire proof unless you build a firewall around and under them with some kind of fire proof/resistant door to shut them in.
    Correct. Most safes are way overpriced for what they are. Most have no real fire rating other than what the Mfg themselves assign to them. If you have some rare or antique items, don't put them in a "gun safe."

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    ^^This!

I have been with Collectibles for over 5 years and the rates have only gone up a few dollars per year.
    You do not need to furnish a "Schedule," serial numbers, makes, models, or any other info.

PM me if you want more info or the agents name I have dealt with.
    (And yes, he does answer the phone.)
    Just got a quote for $176 a year. That is only $14.67 a month and my biggest concern is fire more than theft.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Just got a quote for $176 a year. That is only $14.67 a month and my biggest concern is fire more than theft.
    $176 per year for how many dollars worth of insurance? If it is for $1000 worth of insurance it is a terrible deal, but if it is for $100,000 worth of insurance, it is quite reasonable.

Nballison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2019
    ANDERSON
    I just found out, my homeowners insurance only covers up to $2500 on firearms, and, well, I don't feel that is sufficient. Who do other IndyGO's doe for insurance? Take out an extra rider on their homeowners policy or an alternative insurance company?
    Collectibles insurance is you go to. They charge pennies on the dollar so a $10k collection only costs $100 a year for insurance

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Eastern Insurance yet. So far I am quite happy with this company and the customer service. Thank goodness (and knock on wood) I've not had to file a claim, but feel confident they will be there for me if that were to ever be the case. They offer a variety of plans, coverage levels, flexibility, and an NRA discount. Optics, accessories, and ammo are also covered.

Also, they didn't ask for serial numbers, which to me is huge.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I’ve been considering getting insurance on my firearms. I’ve gotten the NRA linked stuff before but I never get a renewal notification.
    I don’t have that much but it’s a good chunk more than my State Farm policy will cover.
    I did go through a house fire back in November of ‘17. Fire didn’t reach either of my gun cabinets but it did fill the one in my basement about 12” deep with water. It didn’t hurt any of the long guns in it as they were all plastic stocks and they were the first things I dried out and cleaned. I had 40 full AR magazines in the bottom. Insurance covered that ammo as it was not sealed so much of it was dead. Still haven’t pulled the bullets and recycled the cases yet.
    May contact STFU’s agent for a quote.
    Matt

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I have Eastern Insurance through Historic Firearms. No schedule for any one item under $10k value. No serial numbers. $100 deductible. $150/year for $50k coverage. Everything gun related is covered. Ammo, optics, accessories, reloading stuff, NFA items, etc. Never have to "update" them if you purchase new or sell/trade. A+ rated
    You guys paying for a policy through your homeowners are more than likely getting raped

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I have Eastern Insurance through Historic Firearms. No schedule for any one item under $10k value. No serial numbers. $100 deductible. $150/year for $50k coverage. Everything gun related is covered. Ammo, optics, accessories, reloading stuff, NFA items, etc. Never have to "update" them if you purchase new or sell/trade. A+ rated
    You guys paying for a policy through your homeowners are more than likely getting raped
    I don't think this sounds too bad, I may have to look into it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I just found out, my homeowners insurance only covers up to $2500 on firearms, and, well, I don't feel that is sufficient. Who do other IndyGO's doe for insurance? Take out an extra rider on their homeowners policy or an alternative insurance company?
    As a former adjuster license holder, $2500 is 'standard' for insurance coverage for firearms unless a rider is purchased that specifies the firearms covered. You'll need to list each firearm by make / model / serial number but at least you'll have coverage! Also, a fire rated safe provides additional protection and security, which will aid in the cost of the rider for coverage!
    Note: keep the paperwork for the safe(s) in a different location so as to be able to verify their capability in a time of having to provide it.
    When I went safe shopping (comparing) I found two (2) Winchester brand 26-gun safes that were rated at 1400 degrees for 45 minutes whereas the 28-gun Liberty safe(s) were only rated at 1200 degrees for 30 minutes...and the Winchester brand safes were on sale at Tractor Supply! All-in-all, I saved nearly $700 by going with the Winchester brand safes when I purchased them!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Best information I've seen yet...

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have American Family. There is a $10,000 "Rider" for my firearms. Never had to furnish gun makes, S/N's or nuffin. That said, I need to look into better insurance as my collection has grown past that point.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

That's pretty standard.
    Tools, jewelry, firearms, any antiques, all have about $2,000-$2,500 upper limit.

My cousin had Farm Bureau when his house burned, two adults & two kids got about $3,500 for contents in a 3,500 sq.ft. house, 1,500 sq.ft. shop.

60 something guns, 3 Snap-On tool boxes full of tools, antiques, she had a lot of jewelry that was appraised when she inherited it...

Nothing covered beyond base policy limits without riders on the policy.
    There is a reason I'm paranoid about fire...

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    That's pretty standard.
    Tools, jewelry, firearms, any antiques, all have about $2,000-$2,500 upper limit.

My cousin had Farm Bureau when his house burned, two adults & two kids got about $3,500 for contents in a 3,500 sq.ft. house, 1,500 sq.ft. shop.

60 something guns, 3 Snap-On tool boxes full of tools, antiques, she had a lot of jewelry that was appraised when she inherited it...

Nothing covered beyond base policy limits without riders on the policy.
    There is a reason I'm paranoid about fire...
    Our fire in November ’17 was impressively well covered by StateFarm. There was never anything questioned by them and they paid very quickly as we turned in our inventory listings. They also worked very well with all the contractors. I didn’t lose any firearms but I did lose a small amount of ammo (little over a case of .223) and a few thousand lead projectiles in 9mm, 40 and 45 cal. It was all covered without question.
    Matt

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    WOW! This is the first company I heard that will cover ammo. I will have to look into them.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    A GOOD, well hidden safe, bolted to the floor, would stop 99.9% of Indiana burglers from stealing your guns. AND, it is a one time expense.
    Right there...BINGO!!!
    We moved this past April and in July, I picked up two (2) Winchester brand safe's and installed them (bolted to a wall) in a separate room and then (also) put a good deadbolt lock on the door with a steel-reinforced door jamb that matches the door...and the dead-bolt lock and steel-reinforced plate is not visible until one gets directly in front of the door, which is not on a main walkway!
    Sometimes, outta sight goes a long way in the first place!
    And, when we have people over we don't know...we don't say or mention a thing!!!

joreharr

Grandest Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Salem, Indiana
    I have State Farm with a separate Personal Property policy for my firearms. As for the values, I probably need to adjust mine since most have gone up. I've got a lot of older stuff too (that's my main focus). You could probably look at completed auctions on Gunbroker to get you in the ball park. When I add one, I typically take my purchase price and add 10% or so. Sometimes they value them higher than I do when I compare my documentation to the declarations page.
    Do you have to adjust each few years for appreciation, or let it ride?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I figured, but was curious to make sure. With the market these days on some pieces it is hard to not update annually.
    State Farm has been pretty generous with their valuations. I typically report 10% over my purchase price when I add something new, and then when they send out my declarations page(s), I see that they have usually valued it even slightly higher.

Top Bottom