• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The Lyman book #49 does not have the type of bullet I want to load. I'm loading 45acp 200 gr flat point round lead bullet from Missouri Bullet Company. There are so many different OALs from 1.230 to 1.270 for 200 to 230 grain bullets but none are flat point. What is the best way to determine a good OAL for a particular bullet?

Snipercop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    SS Indianapolis
    I use 1.256" - 1.266" and haven't had any issues ever. I have used a lot of different bullets and never had any problems within this range. I would say that would be a good starting point for you. A lot of trial and error, but like I said. I haven't had any issues within that range.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The obvious answer is to stick to the OAL that will still reliably cycle through your magazine.
    Most loading manuals will have the max OAL for autopistols listed.
    The OAL listed for SAAMI loads for .45 ACP is 1.275"
    Go with that, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Didn't know that OAL was 1.275 was thinking it was 1.230, and thats too short. Will find the book I got that from and pass it along. Is there a general OAL for semi wad cutters also?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Didn't know that OAL was 1.275 was thinking it was 1.230, and thats too short. Will find the book I got that from and pass it along. Is there a general OAL for semi wad cutters also?

I suppose the OAL for SWC bullets would depend on the profile of the point, i.e. make sure that the flats of the nose don't interfere with feeding.
    You could check that by making up one or two at a specific target OAL, then hand cycle them through your pistol.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Do the "plunk" test.
    Take the barrel out of your pistol drop a loaded round into it. Make sure it fully chambers at or below the top locking lug (for lack of a better term). I have a cast bullet for 9mm that I have to seat below the book length to make it reliable.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I suppose the OAL for SWC bullets would depend on the profile of the point, i.e. make sure that the flats of the nose don't interfere with feeding.
    You could check that by making up one or two at a specific target OAL, then hand cycle them through your pistol.

Loaded some 200gr LSWC, cycled through 2 rounds. The very edge of the top edge and the wad-cutter part of the shoulder of the bullet had a little wear marks from hitting the feed ramp. OAL 1.240 gonna try'em out tomorrow.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Do the "plunk" test.
    Take the barrel out of your pistol drop a loaded round into it. Make sure it fully chambers at or below the top locking lug (for lack of a better term). I have a cast bullet for 9mm that I have to seat below the book length to make it reliable.

Know exactly what you're saying there. The ogive on these flat point cast 45 bullets is really different and out there compared to that of a jacketed round. What the book says will get the round stuck in the barrel if the slide lock is released.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Loaded some 200gr LSWC, cycled through 2 rounds. The very edge of the top edge and the wad-cutter part of the shoulder of the bullet had a little wear marks from hitting the feed ramp. OAL 1.240 gonna try'em out tomorrow.

Yep, you'll need to seat a few thousands deeper.
    Good job getting to it so far.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Per Ramshot:
    "SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”
    It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a guideline only.
    The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.
    This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as
    1) magazine length (space),
    2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel,
    3) ogive or profile of the projectile and
    4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.
    • Always begin loading at the minimum "Start Load".
    • Increase in 2% increments towards the Maximum Load.
    • Watch for signs of excessive pressure.
    • Never exceed the Maximum Load."

Your COL (OAL) is determined by your barrel (chamber and throat dimensions) and your gun (feed ramp) and your magazine (COL that fits magazine and when the magazine lips release the round for feeding) and the PARTICULAR bullet you are using. What worked in a pressure barrel or the lab's gun or in my gun has very little to do with what will work best in your gun.
    Take the barrel out of the gun. Create two inert dummy rounds (no powder or primer) at max COL and remove enough case mouth flare for rounds to chamber (you can achieve this by using a sized case—expand-and-flare it, and remove the flare just until the case "plunks" in the barrel).
    Drop the inert rounds in and decrease the COL until they chamber completely. This will be your "max" effective COL. I prefer to have the case head flush with the barrel hood. After this, place the inert rounds in the magazine and be sure they fit the magazine and feed and chamber.
    You can also do this for any chambering problems you have. Remove the barrel and drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth.
    Remove and inspect the round:
    1) scratches on bullet--COL is too long
    2) scratches on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp
    3) scratches just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case
    4) scratches on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit
    5) scratches on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011

Well I didn't get out there Monday as planned, so then thought Thursday would be better. The weatherman did not get the message and sent snow instead of sunshine, soooo next open day gonna the test loads and will report back.

Top Bottom