• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Hans Monderman, a traffic engineer, proposed an innovative paradigm for traffic safety: Fewer rules.

A few years back he designed an intersection in the large town of Drechten in The Netherlands that relied on this principle.<br>

Like a naturalist conducting a tour of the jungle, he led the way to a busy intersection in the center of town, where several odd things immediately became clear. Not only was it virtually naked, stripped of all lights, signs and road markings, but there was no division between road and sidewalk. It was, basically, a bare brick square.

But in spite of the apparently anarchical layout, the traffic, a steady stream of trucks, cars, buses, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians, moved along fluidly and easily, as if directed by an invisible conductor. When Mr. Monderman, a traffic engineer and the intersection's proud designer, deliberately failed to check for oncoming traffic before crossing the street, the drivers slowed for him. No one honked or shouted rude words out of the window.

"Who has the right of way?" he asked rhetorically. "I don't care. People here have to find their own way, negotiate for themselves, use their own brains."

This intersection is used by roughly 20,000 drivers per day. A report in 2007 showed that the intersection demonstrated marked improvements in safety and efficiency after its design change.

Monderman argues that such extensive regulations cause a disconnect between the driver and concepts of personal responsibility.

"The many rules strip us of the most important thing: the ability to be considerate. We're losing our capacity for socially responsible behavior," says Dutch traffic guru Hans Monderman, one of the project's co-founders. "The greater the number of prescriptions, the more people's sense of personal responsibility dwindles."

While copious quantities of 'rules of the road' may seem like the path to traffic safety, some psychologist claim otherwise.

Psychologists have long revealed the senselessness of such exaggerated regulation. About 70 percent of traffic signs are ignored by drivers. What's more, the glut of prohibitions is tantamount to treating the driver like a child and it also foments resentment. He may stop in front of the crosswalk, but that only makes him feel justified in preventing pedestrians from crossing the street on every other occasion. Every traffic light baits him with the promise of making it over the crossing while the light is still yellow.

This principle was further confirmed in Montana. For a certain period there were effectively no daytime speed limits. Traffic fatalities hit a record low. In 1999 the fixed speed limits were reinstated and fatalities skyrocketed.

The lower–than–US fatality rates on the German Autobahn (where flow management is the primary safety strategy), and now Montana's experience, would indicate that using speed limits and speed enforcement as the cornerstone of US highway safety policy is a major mistake. It is time to accept the fact that increases in traffic speeds are the natural by product of advancing technology. People do, in fact, act in a reasonable and responsible manner without constant government intervention.

We have been conditioned to believe that the only thing standing between our society and complete chaos is government micro-management. I don't think that this is the case at all. There is a small percentage of people who choose to drive irresponsibly. This research seems to demonstrate that the threat of traffic citations is no more of a deterrent to this group than the threat of death or financial liability.

In fact, government micro-management appears to have the opposite effect in terms of traffic safety.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Eventually, somebody would sue the local municipalities for "Failure to keep the drivers safe." Basically blaming the city for the stupidity of somebody else. I.E. gun control.

I agree with the idea of fewer rules but it will never happen.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's a growing movement in small European towns. The cops here would never stand for it. They'd lose too much power and money.

Town ditches traffic lights to cut accidents | Reuters

German Town Gets Rid of Stop Signs. Accidents Drop, Traffic Clears Up | The Periphery

Which cops are those? Personally I could give a **** either way. I don't think it would work here in the good old "**** everyone I don't know cause I'm more important than anyone else" USA, but it'd be interesting to see it tested. Do deaths attributed to road rage count against the safety record?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Which cops are those? Personally I could give a **** either way. I don't think it would work here in the good old "**** everyone I don't know cause I'm more important than anyone else" USA, but it'd be interesting to see it tested. Do deaths attributed to road rage count against the safety record?

Since you brought this up, has there been any study on 'road rage' other than counts? From what I have observed, it frequently involves deliberate agitators who are like the youngest child at a family dinner who irritates the older children unmercifully until one of them gets fed up and clobbers him, then that child is the no good SOB and the one who instigated it is still the 'little angel'. It seems to work the same way on the road only without age being a factor.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Since you brought this up, has there been any study on 'road rage' other than counts? From what I have observed, it frequently involves deliberate agitators who are like the youngest child at a family dinner who irritates the older children unmercifully until one of them gets fed up and clobbers him, then that child is the no good SOB and the one who instigated it is still the 'little angel'. It seems to work the same way on the road only without age being a factor.

I don't disagree with that assessment

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    This is an old anarchist/libertarian argument that again, is disconnected from reality. First, Drachten has only 40K people, about half the size of an Indy suburb. They went from 8 traffic accidents per year to 1 at the featured intersection. They also employ a robust public transportation system. Foot and bicycle transportation is feasible. There certainly are areas in the US where a system would work, but they are few and far between. Roundabouts serve the exact same purpose and are feasibly executed in higher congestion areas. Unfortunately, the anarchists are so rabidly anti-cop and pro-conspiracy theory they think that such measures can be applied everywhere. Again, a disconnect from reality.

macafly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Yep, way to many drivers with "me me me me me, I'm the only one who has to get there NOW everyone else get the he-- out of my way what do you mean you left that gap for safety what the he-- is defensive driving just get the he-- out of my way I HAVE TO GET TO THE RED LIGHT FIRST GET THE HE-- OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!!!!!"
    Yep would never work. And I'm sorry, but screw those roundabouts. No one knows what a yield sign means!
    Sorry, ranting, ranting, bad day!

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    This is an old anarchist/libertarian argument that again, is disconnected from reality. First, Drachten has only 40K people, about half the size of an Indy suburb. They went from 8 traffic accidents per year to 1 at the featured intersection. They also employ a robust public transportation system. Foot and bicycle transportation is feasible. There certainly are areas in the US where a system would work, but they are few and far between. Roundabouts serve the exact same purpose and are feasibly executed in higher congestion areas. Unfortunately, the anarchists are so rabidly anti-cop and pro-conspiracy theory they think that such measures can be applied everywhere. Again, a disconnect from reality.

You claim it is not feasable but provide little supporting evidence. Your thinly veiled contempt only makes you look peevish.
    Clearly your diatribes against 'anarchists' only serve to spread vitriol and poison the well.
    Be gone! Spew your bile elsewhere!

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I have spent several weeks in The Netherlands over the past few years. The way they interact on roadways...cars, bikes, pedestrians...is fundamentally different than in the US. People know the rules and follow them, with little police presence in the cities. I don't see similar personal responsibility in the US. Thinking that reducing rules will suddenly cause people to assume personal responsibility and stop being self-centered will require a bit more evidence for me.

I'm a big fan of personal responsibility but frankly, despite all of our regulations, we don't practice it here. Look at "no-fault" states like Michigan; you are at fault for wrecking someone else's car, but THEIR insurance has to pay and they get hit with the bill in higher premiums. How many cases do we have where drivers are DUI causing fatalities and injuries, have prior convictions/no license, yet are still driving because there were not stiffer penalties in place? Sure, we write some speeding tickets but you have to literally kill somebody before you even risk there being action which would actually prevent you from driving.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    First, Drachten has only 40K people, about half the size of an Indy suburb.

A huge portion of America has a similar population density, doesn't it?

They went from 8 traffic accidents per year to 1 at the featured intersection.

You're right, that's an amazing drop.

They also employ a robust public transportation system. Foot and bicycle transportation is feasible. There certainly are areas in the US where a system would work, but they are few and far between. Roundabouts serve the exact same purpose and are feasibly executed in higher congestion areas. Unfortunately, the anarchists are so rabidly anti-cop and pro-conspiracy theory they think that such measures can be applied everywhere. Again, a disconnect from reality.

Source?

Yep, way to many drivers with "me me me me me, I'm the only one who has to get there NOW everyone else get the he-- out of my way what do you mean you left that gap for safety what the he-- is defensive driving just get the he-- out of my way I HAVE TO GET TO THE RED LIGHT FIRST GET THE HE-- OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!!!!!"
    Yep would never work. And I'm sorry, but screw those roundabouts. No one knows what a yield sign means!
    Sorry, ranting, ranting, bad day!

I have spent several weeks in The Netherlands over the past few years. The way they interact on roadways...cars, bikes, pedestrians...is fundamentally different than in the US. People know the rules and follow them, with little police presence in the cities. I don't see similar personal responsibility in the US. Thinking that reducing rules will suddenly cause people to assume personal responsibility and stop being self-centered will require a bit more evidence for me.

I'm a big fan of personal responsibility but frankly, despite all of our regulations, we don't practice it here. Look at "no-fault" states like Michigan; you are at fault for wrecking someone else's car, but THEIR insurance has to pay and they get hit with the bill in higher premiums. How many cases do we have where drivers are DUI causing fatalities and injuries, have prior convictions/no license, yet are still driving because there were not stiffer penalties in place? Sure, we write some speeding tickets but you have to literally kill somebody before you even risk there being action which would actually prevent you from driving.

Have you guys considered the possibility that constant regulation and nannyism has created these psychological conditions on our roads?

Again, we relaxed the rules in Montana and everyone drove safer and smarter.

Take a moment to think about this. What is the average driver focusing on while driving?

• Stay between the lines
    • Stay at 5 over the speed limit
    • Don't let anyone in front of me. If I have to drive 35 on this freaking road then so does the clown in the SUV!

This engineer successfully demonstrated that if you remove these restrictions, people will actually pay attention to the world around them. To other drivers, to pedestrians. Psychologists backed it up. Cultures change, human nature does not.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What is the average driver focusing on while driving?
    [STRIKE]
    • Stay between the lines
    [/STRIKE]The phone call about what Susie did the other day at work and how it shouldn't bother Lisa because they broke up two weeks ago and..... [STRIKE]

• Stay at 5 over the speed limit[/STRIKE] I wonder what these three shiny things are that keep blasting light into my eyes whenever I try to drive? I mean, one of them is right in the middle of this big front window. At least the other two are on the outside of the car where they're much easier to ignore. [STRIKE]
    • Don't let anyone in front of me. If I have to drive 35 on this freaking road then so does the clown in the SUV! [/STRIKE]
    I wonder why they put so many lanes on the interstate? I mean, this one over here on the left works just fine, I don't see a need for the others. Any what do those signs that I keep seeing that say 55 on them mean anyway? There's so many dials and number on the other side of the steering wheel and I don't know what they're supposed to be for. Am I supposed to match the 55 on the sign with the round dial on the dashboard? It only goes up to 7. It's at 2 right now and that seems like it's fast enough...

Fixed it for ya ;)

Top Bottom