• ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you!
    I heard on the news that the Council voted to hire three attorneys to serve as federal prosecutors and prosecute gun crimes in Indianamurderplace.
    If they prosecute more than one case each and publicize the sentences (assuming it is jail time and not "a stern talking-to"), they might actually affect the number of shootings.
    What do you think? Is there a chance?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have to ask. Do they already know who they want to hire, or is this just a placeholder for rando lawyers TBD?

The cynic in me says it is the former and these three are buddies with somebody on the council being placed more for their relationship than what they perceive as an actual need. "Hey, I know 3 lawyers looking for a job. If we hire them..."

Yeah, I have less than zero confidence in CCC, can you tell?

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    How does an attorney hired by the city get to practice as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the United States Attorneys Office (USAO), representing the Federal Government in the U.S. District Court for Southern Indiana in Indianapolis?

I'm confused.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    How does an attorney hired by the city get to practice as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the United States Attorneys Office (USAO), representing the Federal Government in the U.S. District Court for Southern Indiana in Indianapolis?

I'm confused.
    This exactly, how can a City Council hire a Federal Prosecutor?

Reactions: Leo

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This exactly, how can a City Council hire a Federal Prosecutor?
    It sounds like they would already be federal prosecutors, but it's not really clear...

INDIANAPOLIS — A proposal headed to the Indianapolis City County Council would put three federal prosecutors on the city payroll.
    Their focus would be going after the people committing gun crimes and other serious violent offenses in Marion County.
    The city would pay their salaries but they would be assigned to the U.S. Attorney's Office of the Southern District of Indiana. They would investigate cases in Marion County with the hopes of bringing federal charges.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They will probably spend most of their time hounding white males over pistol braces and other administrative crimes involving no actual violence.

Then you shouldn't have a problem listing cases that match that description out of Marion Co in the past, say, 5 years. We'll wait.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Having just a hint of an inside track on this, the feds have expressed a willingness to prosecute more "violent group" offenders but lack the manpower to do it. Violent groups can be criminal gangs, but don't have to be. A family with a group of brothers and cousins doing multiple drive by shootings is a violent group, but not a criminal gang. Obviously, there's a ton of different 'groups' but a double fist full are responsible for a pretty big chunk of ongoing violence in the form of shootings, robberies, etc. The roadblock for more prosecution for those groups' members who are doing the shootings, distributing machine gun conversion kits to other groups, etc has been lack of manpower. So, the city is paying for the manpower to increase the number of successful referrals.

Fed time is both lengthier and more "sure", in that the cases are seen through vs plead to illegal parking or dropped or let go by a jury who didn't want to miss their evening shows. It's also not on the local budget to jail them, so it's a budgeting win for the county to get more offenders to the county level.

It's not a "fix", but it's certainly a help.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Not a chance that it would deter the younger gang members, criminals, drug dealers, miscreants and other "Yoots" (from My Cousin Vinny) from shooting people indiscriminately. What needs to happen is a properly armed citizen who is attacked by these types of animals (no insult meant to real animals) is to ventilate a couple of these types and that might be a message that might, just might be sent out. Another solution is to treat these "yoots" as adults and try them in court and sentence them accordingly. Enough of this "youthful offender" B.S.!!! :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not a chance that it would deter the younger gang members, criminals, drug dealers, miscreants and other "Yoots" (from My Cousin Vinny) from shooting people indiscriminately. What needs to happen is a properly armed citizen who is attacked by these types of animals (no insult meant to real animals) is to ventilate a couple of these types and that might be a message that might, just might be sent out.

They are largely shooting each other and they are well aware that they are getting shot right back or getting shot in retaliation. They are not afraid of getting shot enough to not do the things they are doing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you!
    I heard on the news that the Council voted to hire three attorneys to serve as federal prosecutors and prosecute gun crimes in Indianamurderplace.
    If they prosecute more than one case each and publicize the sentences (assuming it is jail time and not "a stern talking-to), they might actually affect the number of shootings.
    What do you think? Is there a chance?

Society has to move the needle on culture. You can kill all the alligators you want, the swamp is still there.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    They will probably spend most of their time hounding white males over pistol braces and other administrative crimes involving no actual violence.
    I applaud Mayor Stinky Shoes' apparent ability to leverage his past federal connections to stand-up resources for local benefit. If I was a democrat-voting cop I'd be a huge fan. Marshalling federal cavalry will no doubt help his re-election efforts, and I'm sure the Biden Justice Department is aware of that. But what value is really being added here?

Those prosecutors are already on the payroll somewhere, doing something of benefit (or at least I hope they are not playing tiddlywinks all day). I can only assume they must be taken off that, to come work this. As John Q. Civilian, I just assumed this was the sort of indispensable cooperation between levels of government that was supposed to already be happening anyway (in fact we've been told that by LE in this very space), and some big, histrionic tip of the hat from the Feds was not needed to make it happen. The same number of calories are being expended overall, somebody is just getting paid out of a different feed bucket. It's hard to understand the value-add, unless you posit that the Federal Prosecutors are currently twiddling their thumbs on low-value assignments, and switching money-buckets turns them toward something of actual societal value. Thanks for fixing your resource-allocation error, but it's not a good look for team.gov, above the most superficial level.

And to your point, Ark, I think we all realize a high priority will be given to cases which result in plastic folding tables full of guns with federal suits and local bulls circle jerking in front of a camera. The public flips past it shaking their heads and thinking, "Boy, those guns sure are a problem, geez, anybody can get one." But it looks damn good for those involved, lining up tables of shiny objects, taking immediate credit before anyone is actually convicted of anything, focusing on objects without "casting shade" on the civil rights of any of the actual perpetrators.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    At first I was like:
    They have to circumvent the useless local prosecutor.
    Do you wonder if said 'useless local procescutor' is on board with this grand idea? Or how about equally 'useless mayor'? It may make them look incompetent. :lmfao:
    With a cynical side of:

Then I was like: Oh...well, this seems to be plausible.

Having just a hint of an inside track on this, the feds have expressed a willingness to prosecute more "violent group" offenders but lack the manpower to do it. Violent groups can be criminal gangs, but don't have to be. A family with a group of brothers and cousins doing multiple drive by shootings is a violent group, but not a criminal gang. Obviously, there's a ton of different 'groups' but a double fist full are responsible for a pretty big chunk of ongoing violence in the form of shootings, robberies, etc. The roadblock for more prosecution for those groups' members who are doing the shootings, distributing machine gun conversion kits to other groups, etc has been lack of manpower. So, the city is paying for the manpower to increase the number of successful referrals.

Fed time is both lengthier and more "sure", in that the cases are seen through vs plead to illegal parking or dropped or let go by a jury who didn't want to miss their evening shows. It's also not on the local budget to jail them, so it's a budgeting win for the county to get more offenders to the county level.

It's not a "fix", but it's certainly a help.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How's the best way to keep an eye on the progress of this revelation?

Call me Pollyanna, but if we keep abreast of this, keeping it in the conversation, then maybe other local social media will also?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How's the best way to keep an eye on the progress of this revelation?

Call me Pollyanna, but if we keep abreast of this, keeping it in the conversation, then maybe other local social media will also?

I'll know. I doubt the attention span on this is long, though. INGO will have something else to work into victimhood and move on.
    I applaud Mayor Stinky Shoes' apparent ability to leverage his past federal connections to stand-up resources for local benefit. If I was a democrat-voting cop I'd be a huge fan. Marshalling federal cavalry will no doubt help his re-election efforts, and I'm sure the Biden Justice Department is aware of that. But what value is really being added here?

Those prosecutors are already on the payroll somewhere, doing something of benefit (or at least I hope they are not playing tiddlywinks all day). I can only assume they must be taken off that, to come work this. As John Q. Civilian, I just assumed this was the sort of indispensable cooperation between levels of government that was supposed to already be happening anyway (in fact we've been told that by LE in this very space), and some big, histrionic tip of the hat from the Feds was not needed to make it happen. The same number of calories are being expended overall, somebody is just getting paid out of a different feed bucket. It's hard to understand the value-add, unless you posit that the Federal Prosecutors are currently twiddling their thumbs on low-value assignments, and switching money-buckets turns them toward something of actual societal value. Thanks for fixing your resource-allocation error, but it's not a good look for team.gov, above the most superficial level.

And to your point, Ark, I think we all realize a high priority will be given to cases which result in plastic folding tables full of guns with federal suits and local bulls circle jerking in front of a camera. The public flips past it shaking their heads and thinking, "Boy, those guns sure are a problem, geez, anybody can get one." But it looks damn good for those involved, lining up tables of shiny objects, taking immediate credit before anyone is actually convicted of anything, focusing on objects without "casting shade" on the civil rights of any of the actual perpetrators.

You know not every lawyer is already a prosecutor, and not every prosecutor is here, right?

I see all of the relevant arrests at a weekly meeting. What you imagine is happening isn't. Not even close.

Top Bottom