Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    means that the FCC is laying the groundwork for regulatory action

I think we've been put on notice that the white house intends to bypass congress by regulations and executive orders. Is this part if the plan unfolding?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    All these websites already have law enforcement access pages, where than can look up history and password protected data. A warrant is supposed to be required, but they have their own passwords to expedite access. The difference here I guess, is they want to wiretap live communications. I'm sure they have sniffers in the backbone routers, but that requires a lot of work and technical expertise to decode. They want it to be simple like a phone tap probably, again to expedite the process, and so the NSA isn't required as a middle man to figure it all out.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    How much control is enough control for big brother?

There is never enough control for big brother.

Big brother needs to be chained in his cage.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    While I agree the FBI and any other LE should have to get a real warrant to get this type of information, this also goes back to people being stupid. Don't put crap on the Internet that you aren't willing for the whole world to see.

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    How much control is enough control for big brother?

There is never enough control for big brother.

Big brother needs to be chained in his cage.

I'd definitely have to agree with you. Do you remember the movie Enemy of the State? That was a pre-9/11 movie and in it they were trying to pass a law that would let the government spy on anyone they want. One of the main characters in the movie said that the only privacy was inside a persons head.

Now in a post-9/11 world, the inside of a persons head isn't even sacred anymore. With marketing companies doing so many studies, they know our secrets before anyone in our families know. Case in point, this thread right here on INGO. You say that big brother needs to be chained in his cage, I say big brother needs to go the way of Old Yeller.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    All these websites already have law enforcement access pages, where than can look up history and password protected data. A warrant is supposed to be required, but they have their own passwords to expedite access. The difference here I guess, is they want to wiretap live communications. I'm sure they have sniffers in the backbone routers, but that requires a lot of work and technical expertise to decode. They want it to be simple like a phone tap probably, again to expedite the process, and so the NSA isn't required as a middle man to figure it all out.

Not only are they nosy and given to grossly over-reaching their authority, they are apparently lazy as well. Oh well, the new facility in Utah will probably be equipped to do those more involved functions automatically if the NSA will share with the rest of the alphabet soup.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'd definitely have to agree with you. Do you remember the movie Enemy of the State? That was a pre-9/11 movie and in it they were trying to pass a law that would let the government spy on anyone they want. One of the main characters in the movie said that the only privacy was inside a persons head.

Now in a post-9/11 world, the inside of a persons head isn't even sacred anymore. With marketing companies doing so many studies, they know our secrets before anyone in our families know. Case in point, this thread right here on INGO. You say that big brother needs to be chained in his cage, I say big brother needs to go the way of Old Yeller.

Good article. I missed that thread the first time around. I can easily foresee a time where even people that pay with cash could be tracked and analyzed using facial recognition and other forensic data.

There's vision systems that some LEO organizations use, in their cars, to photo license plates as you drive down the road...not much of a stretch to envision your driving habits being tracked and data mined by the .gov.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    This a good answer for why we need to fight for a smaller, less funded government. Without money and manpower the feds could not implement or keep programs like this going. An excellent point why smaller government equals more freedom!

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011

Indeed.

Here is another thread... It is worth reading the info I posted beginning at post 67.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/211286-why_are_you_afraid_of_facebook-7.html

Also, this book is worth the read:

The Numerati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The personal data that folks are willing to give away in exchange for a "frequent shopper" discount or even less is amazing.

What would have formally been kept private and required a team of spies to get to folks now simply hand over... and they feel good about it too!

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    This a good answer for why we need to fight for a smaller, less funded government. Without money and manpower the feds could not implement or keep programs like this going. An excellent point why smaller government equals more freedom!

WELL SAID!!!!!

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    In this Internet age of manufactured everything, ALWAYS consider the source of such "news" before becoming part of the problem by spreading it on the Net. Everyone has a hidden agenda. tomsguide.com?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    "Big Brother calls going dark a problem."

Translation "If Big Brother cannot see what you're doing at all times, that's a problem."

I am saluting you Big Brother... with which digit I will let you decide for yourself.

Top Bottom