Target store data analysis predicts pregnancy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Target stores, like most I'm sure, analyze spending habits and personal spending data for marketing. Apparently someone has found a way to predict when someone is pregnant and adjust the kind of coupons and marketing material accordingly. That sounds great unless the pregnant person isn't wanting everyone else in the house to know they are pregnant. :D

Enjoy...great story, if you are somewhat data analysis savvy this is pretty interesting.

How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did - Yahoo! Shopping

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Good story...

and for those who don't believe everything you do (online and via credit card or store rewards card) isn't tracked and complied, you are kidding yourself.

YES "they" can watch you 24/7 and "they" can analyze every SINGLE thing you do when you use anything electronic... and at walmart probably when you use cash too, their facial recognition system is second to none.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Don't forget those "shopper's cards" at the grocery stores. They pay you with discounts to easily collect your purchases and market towards you. I still use a Marsh one from my old roommate 16 years ago. Take THAT Marsh!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Don't forget those "shopper's cards" at the grocery stores. They pay you with discounts to easily collect your purchases and market towards you. I still use a Marsh one from my old roommate 16 years ago. Take THAT Marsh!

I mess with them further. I have several for the grocery store I go to. Depending on what kinds of stuff I buy will dictate which card I use. None of them are in my name, and I usually pay cash.

Just doing my bit to skew marketing data.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I mess with them further. I have several for the grocery store I go to. Depending on what kinds of stuff I buy will dictate which card I use. None of them are in my name, and I usually pay cash.

Just doing my bit to skew marketing data.

That is pretty good. What would be great about that is to see the difference it makes in the kinds of coupons and marketing materials each of the different "people" get based on the different kind of purchases they have made.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I use my rewards cards every place I can. If someone thinks the fact that I like a particular brand of cereal is worth some money, and they are willing to pay me for that information (via discounts by using the card) by all means.

Having marketing geared towards you isn't necessarily a bad thing. After filling out the information for the Kroger card, now all the coupons they send me are for things that I either actually buy or are VERY similar, like they are trying to get me to try something new. I like that I don't get junk mail from them anymore and it makes me look forward to opening the mailers from Kroger. I sure can't say that about all the other ads I get.

More on the topic of others peoples posts, if you want the discounts but still want to be anonymous, try the following. Most places will look you up by phone # if you don't have your card on you. Just supply the most common phone number given to any of those programs, 867-5309.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I keep getting stuff in the mail from different baby sites for my daughter trying to make sure she brings up her child properly. Problem is, if she has had a child, she has hidden it very well. No doctor bills, never seen her weighing more than normal, and with all the time she has spent in her research and flying around the world, I would like to know how she snuck in having a child!

We both are trying to figure out where the baby companies got the idea that she has had a child, and a couple of days ago, a package came in the mail from a company that makes baby food, complete with samples!

Their attempts to be "on the ball" is doing nothing more than driving the prices up for people who are actually having children!

Isn't the information age great? Or should I say lack of information.

I did call a couple of the companies, and none would admit where they got their lies from.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I think it's a great idea for the companies to do. If I shop at a store on a regular basis I will use coupons they send me for needed items. I'm all about saving money.

I use my Kroger card whenever I shop there. I like their coupon packets they send me for items I buy. Plus I like getting 10 cents off a gallon of gas at Kroger & Shell gas stations.

So Kroger knows which veggies I like to buy fresh and which ones I like to buy frozen. By now they know I prefer Greek yogurt over regular yogurt. So who cares? I don't buy anything embarrassing from Kroger so I don't care that they know what I like to buy. Especially if it means they are going to send me coupons.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Kroger recalls

Kroger called me last month about a Excedrin recall.
    I suppose they would notify of food recalls also.

Mark

Yes they do. I got called about the ground turkey that was recalled last summer plus there was a note on my receipts about it too.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I stopped using my Victoria's Secret shopper's card. Turns out they tested the underwear I returned and could tell it indeed had been worn. They also suggested I stop buying my underwear at VS. Since I stopped working for the rewards points I've had no problems.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I stopped using my Victoria's Secret shopper's card. Turns out they tested the underwear I returned and could tell it indeed had been worn. They also suggested I stop buying my underwear at VS. Since I stopped working for the rewards points I've had no problems.

Wear the leopard print thong because it makes YOU feel pretty, don't worry about pleasing anyone else. It'll just be your little secret that you can smile about during the day.

Top Bottom