• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    When I was 17 or 18, I used to take Dad's 14' little fishing boat with a 1950's era 5 hp Johnson and a similarly aged Evinrude 7.5 hp on it down to Lake Monroe and sleep on the boat. I'd take a sleeping bag, cooler, and my fishing tackle. When I started tent camping that way, I was taking an 18x9 Sears canvas tent and setting it up by myself! Life was simpler back then for sure. :):
    Tip for using a Zodi heater. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and circulate it until it is the temperature you want. Shut off the heater,then shower. What? The lake we where at had 50 degree water and the Zodi only adds around 15-20 degrees unless you recycle it a bit to get you to that 101 degree shower. lol
    Zodi lives in said 5 gallon bucket for garage storage or in transit.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Tip for using a Zodi heater. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and circulate it until it is the temperature you want. Shut off the heater,then shower. What? The lake we where at had 50 degree water and the Zodi only adds around 15-20 degrees unless you recycle it a bit to get you to that 101 degree shower. lol
    Zodi lives in said 5 gallon bucket for garage storage or in transit.
    Oh hell no. I have my limits! I've shaved and bathed in cold lake water for years. I'm good with that. :):

Lpherr

Occupied
    It would require one of these to get me to go camping.
    There's no way I could sleep on the ground (with or without a mattress), and loading and unloading equipment isn't desirable to me.

1653090597154.png

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have found that for 2 people, an 8 person tent is adequate size. Anything else is way too small. Maybe I take too much crap when I camp (boat camping). :):
    I've always heard for sizing a tent subtract 2. and that will give you the minimum size you need. So a 4 man tent would be 2 max. Set up a 2 man and you have nothing, a one man and you actually lose space.

We have I think a 10 man, 4 "room" tent for 4 people now 3. Easily holds 2 queen size air mattresses and gear.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Not sure if this is for just casual camping of serious backpacking. If the former then see this thread about the same subject and my post here.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It would require one of these to get me to go camping.
    There's no way I could sleep on the ground (with or without a mattress), and loading and unloading equipment isn't desirable to me.

View attachment 201362
    Can you tow it. I don’t mind a camper but I want something I can tow it easy. Looking at an overland trailer but I have to build one cause the good ones are not cheap. I want to sleep inside a cabin not in a roof tent also, so a square drop style.

as far as tents I still have a eureka K2 from like 1996 and other than the dog clawing into the tent floor (fixed but just barely). Use it about ten nights a year and used to use it much more before kids in 1999. I don’t think they make it anymore and mine was a mountaineering tent. I got version 4 season and bucked the wind and rain/snow like a champ. Lowest temp have slept in it was 17 degrees.
    cons for backpacking it is heavy and bulky for a backpack. it compresses well but it takes a lot of doing and experience to compress it down. Canoe or car camping is perfect size and you can cook with a small stove in the vestibule if you are forced into it.

Vbob1

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2022
    Scipio, IN
    Hey there shooters,

Looking into getting into camping this summer and i'm interested in hearing about your favorite brands!
    If you really want quality, Copper Canyon is hard to beat. Just sold one i had for ten years and it was still in great shape. I have a couple LARGE Tahoe Gear tents for sale. Contact me. Have some really good gear. I used to take large groups of kids to Oshkosh.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Any tent is great on a sunny night. It is when the rain and wind starts that you realize a little extra quality (and money?) is important. As noted above never trust the number of people ratings, add 1 or 2 to the number of people you plan on using the tent. Here is my list... what are your planned uses?

Eureka ~ Timberline ~ Used for many years car camping and was a great tent.

REI ~ Half Dome ~ Current car camping tent that works well for the wife and myself plus most gear. Capable of backpacking too although a bit heavy.

Big Agnes ~ Copper Spur ~ My wife's lightweight backpacking tent. It is a two(2) person but even being short she fills it up all by herself with her necessities. If really bad weather she will may let me join her inside.

WarBonnet ~ Ground Tarp ~ I primarily backpack with a tarp now and this one is well made, durable, and light.

Borah ~ Ultralight Bivy ~ I really prefer Cowboy Camping when weather permits and this helps with condensation and bugs.

Palace.jpg

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Eureka, TCOP (Tent Combat One Person). Has 2 vestibles I store junk in. Tent is 8 pounds. Floor size is generous enough for my CPAP, battery, Helmet, Jacket, and the clothes I don't sleep in. My head touches top when sitting up. This is a great tent if you only sleep in it. There will be condensation on the inside of the fly. My friend has the 2 man version, and I am leaning towards it for the next tent.

Last edited:

Crash7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2020
    IN
    About the only camping I do is next to the plane at Oshkosh. I’ve got a common dome tent with a rain fly, but when summer Wisconsin storms roll thru I’m either holding the poles up or trying to stop the rain fly from becoming a parachute.

What would be a good 2-3 person tent (keeping with the idea that it’s just me inside) that has a built in rainfly (to avoid the parachute) and can withstand some wind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Backpacking? Car camping? Depends.
    Paria Bryce 2P is light, strong and versatile. Their customer service and warranty are outstanding.
    You're the first person I've ever seen mention Paria. They have great products. I have a Breeze Mesh Tent that I carry along with a tarp. It's 84x52 and weighs a pound and half with the stakes. My son borrowed it and liked it so much, he asked for one as a xmas gift. Their stuff is really nice quality.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I have a 10 year old Wentzel that have used for car camping. Just used it last weekend. Was good quality.
    At this time in life I am going to try the easy tent that has the poles that are built into and it's a quick setup. I think Coleman makes those.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    If car camping - take a look at a Gazelle T4. Easy PZ, pop up tent. They have bigger models too.

A while back we were looking for a quality tent that would be super easy to set up. We already had a Gazelle Gazebo so we were familiar with the company. REI has them...not sure about Cabelas or Dick's. Sometimes Lowes and Home Depot carry camping gear online.

Gazelle T4

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    About the only camping I do is next to the plane at Oshkosh. I’ve got a common dome tent with a rain fly, but when summer Wisconsin storms roll thru I’m either holding the poles up or trying to stop the rain fly from becoming a parachute.

What would be a good 2-3 person tent (keeping with the idea that it’s just me inside) that has a built in rainfly (to avoid the parachute) and can withstand some wind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is my next tent for motorcycle camping:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have put this one through some insane storms and week-long winds. It's been a great unit. Marmot Limelight 3. You will need to add a couple tieout lines and buy a pack of stakes for a full-on storm setup.

20220514_152743.jpg

When the weather gets chilly, I like to use a woodstove. The Luxe Megahorn has been excellent for the past 3 winters. You will want to buy snow/sand stakes if pitching on a loose surface.

20200313_191515.jpg

Subtract 1 person from the rating for comfort, 2 persons if keeping your gear inside, and 3 persons if adding a stove. And 1 more if it's a weird shape.

The Limelight 3p works easily for two adults and light gear, with packs left outside. It's a very roomy 1p tent if you want everything inside, or a tight 2p for smaller adults. (I am not, and neither is my son.)

The Luxe Megahorn claims 6, with gear and stove it's 2. Warm weather takes it to an easy 3, tolerable 4.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom