www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Eureka. Buy once, cry once.

Although they arent the worst when it comes to price.

Ive still got a Backcountry 2 that Ive had since the late 90s and its still going strong. Granted Im not out there every weekend or every month, but it has held up well.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Boy scout troop uses eureka & they hold up great. 2 boys & gear. I have used them a couple of times. It really depends on what your going to be doing(car camping, family, lots of gear). I hiked around lake monroe & left my tent in the car just using poles, tarp, & rope. I also have a couple dome tents & a teepee tent. I want a covered vestibule for my next one so my gear and boots can stay outside of the sleeping are. Don't forget hammocks( there are some really cool ones out there.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm getting back into camping after being out of it for 25 years. I also found these. Not badly constructed for a cheap, single wall backpacking tent. I tried the 1 person, then realized my bad shoulders cant handle backpacking pads or air mattresses. So I returned it before I used it.

I have GOT to have a 6" style air mattress or I'm miserably sore for several days. (I can only fall asleep on my side) I found a single person mattress thick enough so Im going to buy one again. The two person looks interesting too. And it uses your trekking poles, so no poles to carry.

Amazon product ASIN B09J8DFDKP

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I've had a Walmart Ozark trail tent since about 2005 and it's still serviceable. I enjoy my Coleman stuff quite a bit. I'm extremely easy on equipment so I buy on the cheap/value side and get great life out of it.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have 2 smaller Ozark Trail tents, 1 solo tent and one for me and my son on quick trips. They both have been great tents, and have lasted us 9 years so far. We also have a Coleman Canyon Breeze, 3 room tent that is great for long weekends in a campground. All three of them have held up just fine. I spray some water proofer on every spring just in case.

I know Eureka and other more expensive tents are probably better quality but mine haven't let me down yet. I did buy a nice little pop up for $300 last year though so they won't get used much anymore, A/C has me spoiled in the summer.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Ultralight backpacking tent designed for a titanium stove inside: Titanium Goat Vertex. Used it out west many times, and even managed to survive a Wyoming 3 day blizzard in it. Does not do well in snowy conditions unless you have the stove running due to condensation issues.

Eureka 1 man: Works great. Has held up out west and many trips to the smokies. No frills, a little pricey.

Older Ozark Trail 4 man: Great tent, but clearly not as durable. I’d happily buy a used one if I could find one, just for easy family camping.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Just keep in mind that almost none of this equipment that has been excellent for twenty or more years is the same as what one would get today.
    Yup, I was going to make mention of my Ozark Trail tent that I have used for ~22 years. What @Ingomike said is true and worth considering. I have Columbia brand shirts that I still wear after 20 years, and I can guarantee the ones I bought 4 years ago will not hold up that long.

With that said, when I replace my current tent, I will be looking at Eureka.

What's that saying? They don't make 'em like they used to.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Backpacking Zpacks. https://zpacks.com/collections/tents
    Car camping. Any tent you can keep water out of when it rains. I use a 3 person MSR that is no longer available currently.

How many people,what purpose,and where do you want your gear stored(inside or vestuble)are important to know.
    The 3 person fits two adults and gear inside for example.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have found that for 2 people, an 8 person tent is adequate size. Anything else is way too small. Maybe I take too much crap when I camp (boat camping). :):
    Ok. I can see your point. When the ex-wife and I went camping we had an 10 person 2 room tent. Queen size air mattress(did not quite take up one side),screen seperate dinning tent,shower tent(with zodi water heater) and enough food to live for about a year lol. Laptop with solar power(deep cell battery/inverter/100watt panel),what? she wanted to watch DVD movies in Superior national forest in the middle of no where...we did not rough it.
    In her defense it did rain 12 out of the 17 days we "camped"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ok. I can see your point. When the ex-wife and I went camping we had an 10 person 2 room tent. Queen size air mattress(did not quite take up one side),screen seperate dinning tent,shower tent(with zodi water heater) and enough food to live for about a year lol. Laptop with solar power(deep cell battery/inverter/100watt panel),what? she wanted to watch DVD movies in Superior national forest in the middle of no where...we did not rough it.
    Holy crap... And I thought I was bad bringing a stand fan, queen size air mattress and stand, folding table, extra marine battery with power inverter to power the fan, radio, and our cell chargers. Not to mention 3 coolers, lantern, stove, a food box, camping gear box, and all the other camping stuff. :bowdown:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Holy crap... And I thought I was bad bringing a stand fan, queen size air mattress and stand, folding table, extra marine battery with power inverter to power the fan, radio, and our cell chargers. Not to mention 3 coolers, lantern, stove, a food box, camping gear box, and all the other camping stuff. :bowdown:
    She had a fan that took D cell batteries(and spares). We even had a full size "all weather" folding table. lol We had a GIANT cooler. Two stoves,and coleman oven(what you need biscuits with the gravy). We had a full size king cab truck...bed and front stuffed full for the trip(including the dog). Even the roof was used(canoe).Two lanterns,one lived on the "kitchen island stove stand" lol

Me solo. Yea,it has to fit in my pack and keep my weight below 37lbs(with food and water included).

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Me solo. Yea,it has to fit in my pack and keep my weight below 37lbs(with food and water included).
    When I was 17 or 18, I used to take Dad's 14' little fishing boat with a 1950's era 5 hp Johnson and a similarly aged Evinrude 7.5 hp on it down to Lake Monroe and sleep on the boat. I'd take a sleeping bag, cooler, and my fishing tackle. When I started tent camping that way, I was taking an 18x9 Sears canvas tent and setting it up by myself! Life was simpler back then for sure. :):

Top Bottom