• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt1860

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2017
    Tell City
    I like to collect the pre war Colts and Winchester lever action and pre 64 model 70s rifles. When I travel the state I like to stop in local gun store and see what they have. Lately it been hard to find a collectible gun in any gun store. Mostly all modern guns. Any collectors out there that have a favorite store when one can reliably find old Colts or Winchesters ?

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Just have to hit the stores when you are out and about. I sometimes see nice older firearms that have been traded in but they are not common.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    My favorite shop is McDonald's Guns in Marion. He always seems to have a mix of everything so you might find what you are looking for. I believe the owner is a Winchester collector so he might be able to point you in the right direction if he doesn't have what you want on hand.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I like to collect the pre war Colts and Winchester lever action and pre 64 model 70s rifles. When I travel the state I like to stop in local gun store and see what they have. Lately it been hard to find a collectible gun in any gun store. Mostly all modern guns. Any collectors out there that have a favorite store when one can reliably find old Colts or Winchesters ?

I think a lot of the time the LGS's are putting the collectible stuff online to reach a wider audience now. Your typical gun store browser nowadays just isn't interested in the old stuff.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I do not know what part of the state you live in but Cabela's stores have a gun library and once in a while you can score a deal. Hershey guns specializes primarily in S&W revolvers, maybe Colt to. The Tipton gun show has a lot of older guns of all flavors. For something specific I would stick with gunbroker and armslist. I won two auctions on gb and I am waiting for my gems to arrive
    Ingo user inditucky has a shop near Louisville called Fall City Firearms that deals in older guns as well

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Have you tried any pawn shops? I'm not talking like the Cash America or chain pawn stores, but more like the Mom and Pop stores.
    Sometimes you never know what you will find.
    Like someone else stated, I do believe the local stores have gunbroker accounts as well, and put the "good stuff" on-line to maximize their profit margins.
    Unless you become a regular in a certain shop and tell them what you're looking for, buying on-line may be your only option to find those items.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Gun stores have to stock what most of their customers want and that isn't old Colts and Winchesters. I collect those things as well and it's a combination of persistence and patience.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    Colt 1860 I know of a few in OUR area, But as others have said it's hit & miss because of the internet now days..
    Are there any good gun stores going up 64 by Tell City?
    Of course there's the Gunshow at the Louisville fairgrounds, Can be an issue if you are buying a handgun..
    Most don't wanna mess with the transfer etc. But there are so many collectors with the type of guns you're looking for, They just want top dollar + some = OUCH!!

vangurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2017
    Valparaiso
    Not sure if their current inventory but you never know what you’ll find at Blythes in Valparaiso. They also have another store in Griffith.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Most shops here don't have anything but the latest and greatest...nothing collectible...Your best bet is most likely a gun show...never know what someone will bring...Good Luck

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No knock on what and where you shop but I have removed these folks from my go to list. Personal reasons but enough to keep me from ever walking in there again.

Same... wasn't particularly done wrong there myself, but never saw anything as far as product or service that made me keep them in the regular rotation.

Top Bottom