• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The rhino sold me on the Condor Bushlore. I've carried mine for a few weeks now. So far so good.

condor-bushlore-hcm.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have used tools with chrome vanadium steel and I can say it is harder than any other tool steel used in drivers.

I also keep my Chinese 8cr knives sharp. Nothing wrong with the steel as long as it's kept sharp. The only thing harder steels do is keep an edge longer for people who don't sharpen or know how to sharpen knives

I like harder steels and can sharpen a knife better than about 99.9% of the population? The harder steels such as ZDP-189 (64-65 Rockwell) are nice because they take keener edges and require less general maintenance to keep sharp because they are less likely to "roll" versus the softer steels. The only downside is the harder knives are more prone to chipping so you cant get as stupid with them.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    If you have time, swing by the next gun show (it's January 15, 16, and 17) and visit with INGO members Knife Lady and Brad. They have a table at the show and are easy to talk to; have a good selection if you like to window shop while you are making up your mind.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Cold Steel Kudu - once you release some tension on the spring this thing is boss and under about 6 bucks.

Lansky Responder - nice knife for 15 bucks. Really sturdy and smooth flip. I was surprised when I ordered one just for a cheap xmas gift. I may get one to leave in my car - Robot Check car

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Don't laugh. Got a couple Gerber made Bear Grylls folders. Will try them out but they weren't expensive. I like Moras, Kabars, Ontario, Buck, Spyderco, Cold Steel. I have seen a lot of cheapie junk, bought a machete/Panga Style for $5 at a flea market. Besides hitting it with a bit of file work, cuts the thumb size beanstalks that grow behind my shed like butter. Also have a Collins hand axe(has a US ARMY stamp, from WW2) which does firewood duty for bonfires.
    You do get what you pay for. Good luck.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Got a small SOG Twitch II, a Spyderco Resilience as my work knife, and an Ontario Rat 1, all good for the money (right around $40 each) to me. The Tenacious barely beat out the Ontario as my daily work knife just because it "feels" thinner. The Twitch II is when I'm dressed up a little and don't want something so big.

Edit: My Spyderco is the Resilience, not the Tenacious. Corrected.

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Don't laugh. Got a couple Gerber made Bear Grylls folders. Will try them out but they weren't expensive. I like Moras, Kabars, Ontario, Buck, Spyderco, Cold Steel. I have seen a lot of cheapie junk, bought a machete/Panga Style for $5 at a flea market. Besides hitting it with a bit of file work, cuts the thumb size beanstalks that grow behind my shed like butter. Also have a Collins hand axe(has a US ARMY stamp, from WW2) which does firewood duty for bonfires.
    You do get what you pay for. Good luck.

I was going to mention the spyderco tenacious. I carry one edc and they can be had for around $40.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I actually bought my brother a Tenacious for Christmas. I was hesitant to give it to him after fondling it lol. I have been eyeing the resilience. I just love larger folders

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I actually bought my brother a Tenacious for Christmas. I was hesitant to give it to him after fondling it lol. I have been eyeing the resilience. I just love larger folders

I bought the smaller version of the Tenacious, the Ambitious, for trips to Chicago. Great quality for a China knife, love the g10 grip; I need to get a few more of the knives from this line.

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    I very strongly going up to say $65 you can get a very nice Spyderco Delica for that price. With the $40 price point you are limited to basically Chinese produced "Value" lines of knives. With the Delica you are getting Japanese produced VG-10 blade steel that gets very sharp and is east to resharpen plus it will hold an edge better than the 8CR13MOV stuff used in the Chinese made knives currently. The Delica also has Spydercos refined edge geometry so it cuts very well, plus it is very ergonomic and light weight making it a very good choice for an EDC knife. You also get Spydercos lifetime warranty.

:+1:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    For an inexpensive fixed blade, you can't beat a carbon steel MORA.

I bought a carbon steel MORA at the Indy 1500 for $20.00, and I love it. It's my working-around-the-house knife. When it was new, I used it to cut up hotdogs when we were cooking out, and that put the coolest patina on the blade (looks like Damascus steel now). Hotdogs, who would've thought.

I'm not a knife guy, but that MORA keeps an edge very well with rough use and sharpens up nicely. I thought the plastic sheath was hokey at first, but it's really good when I'm working in the garden, stringing beans or tomatoes and I need the knife handy.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    With 8cr13mov, the guy either doesn't use his knife, or he's got a butter knife. It's one of the two (maybe both...).

I still don't understand why people bother with Kershaw's Chinese knives. I'm not saying China can't make nice things. But the Kershaw offerings from China are not as nice as their USA made offerings. The US knives use 14c28n Sandvik steel (for the most part), which is VERY nice EDC steel and they aren't much more expensive than the Chinese knives.

Oh I use it alright, I just dont abuse it or expect it to do things its not designed for. Plus I dont use it on stuff like cardboard and other garbage. Thats what 99 cent box cutters are for. Dont get me wrong... I said its still "fairly sharp", not out of box sharp by any means, but still very useable as-is. For the price, thats not bad at all. By comparison, I switched to a Cold Steel Recon 1 for a while and my edc use pretty much turned that one into a butterknife in less than 2 months. The Cryo serves my purpose and others' mileage may vary.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    As far as "budget" knives go, I really like Kershaw. Spyderco also has the Tenacious and a few other very nice offerings for around $40. One knife I'm particularly fond of is the "ESEE" Zancudo. It isn't made by ESEE actually, but they had something to do with designing it I believe. It's lightweight, the blade is thin and slicey, it locks out nicely, and has a good overall feel for around $30.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I didn't want to start a new thread just to ask this question so I figured Id post in this thread. Im looking for a new EDC blade. I now carry a Kershaw blur but am looking to upgrade a bit.
    Ive heard so much good about the benchmade mini griptilian but I don't care for the cheap feeling handle, and I don't feel like its "for me"
    I am looking so far at the Benchmade Mini-griptilian ($89), Kershaw Camber ($72), or spyderco delica4 ($60).
    I know the knifes are different but just looking for opinions from some people more knowledgeable in knives then I am. I do really like the speedsafe on the Kershaw.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I didn't want to start a new thread just to ask this question so I figured Id post in this thread. Im looking for a new EDC blade. I now carry a Kershaw blur but am looking to upgrade a bit.
    Ive heard so much good about the benchmade mini griptilian but I don't care for the cheap feeling handle, and I don't feel like its "for me"
    I am looking so far at the Benchmade Mini-griptilian ($89), Kershaw Camber ($72), or spyderco delica4 ($60).
    I know the knifes are different but just looking for opinions from some people more knowledgeable in knives then I am. I do really like the speedsafe on the Kershaw.

If you don't like the regular Griptilian why would you even consider the Mini-Griptilian it still has the plastic handles? Personally my favorite out of the three would be a Delica in ZDP-189 (Super Steel about 64rw making sharpening harder) blade steel, with the runner up being the Camber as it is basically an improved Blur with an S30V blade (good all around steel easy to sharpen).
    Spyderco Delica 4 British Racing Green ZDP-189

If you dont like the plastic handles on the regular Griptilian Benchmade just came out with an improved version featuring a new G10 handle and an upgraded 20CV blade. It is pricey though
    Benchmade

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought one of those cheap, Taiwanese Lightning OTF automatic knives from Amazon for $39.99.
    I touched up the edge and am really surprised at how well the edge holds up against cardboard.
    Yeah, it's cheap, but, if I break it or lose it, I haven't lost a lot and it works well. It isn't prestigious; it just works.

Top Bottom