• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jsail@59

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Hello I have Just bought my first hand gun and looking for suggestions for a good conceal carry Holster. I am 5' 8" 290ibs and have a Taurus G3. What holster would work best and in what carry position on the body is recommended?

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Fellow fatty, I use OWB @ 4ish and wear T-Shirt tucked in, & larger shirt over. Does pretty good, had a guy ask me @ church if I knew some people carried there, I just smiled and said I’d heard that.

Usually M&P Compact .45, but recently been carrying Sig P365.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Coming from a similarly sized guy, I'd make sure you have a REAL GUN BELT before you get a holster. You have no idea what a big difference it makes, especially when you have quite a bit more to hold up than the average guy. I like the SuperBio Belt from Daltech Force. But there ara few more like BeltMan and 511.

With that said, I've pretty much switched to OWB. With a untucked shirt and a holster at 3:30ish, the pistol about disappears, even a full size double stack.

I like Bravo Concealment holsters. They are a great value.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    4:00 is probably going to be the most comfortable. IWB or OWB, Kydex or leather you have to make that call.. Consider some training if you are going to carry.

Bjy1OBE.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Coming from a similarly sized guy, I'd make sure you have a REAL GUN BELT before you get a holster. You have no idea what a big difference it makes, especially when you have quite a bit more to hold up than the average guy. I like the SuperBio Belt from Daltech Force. But there ara few more like BeltMan and 511.

With that said, I've pretty much switched to OWB. With a untucked shirt and a holster at 3:30ish, the pistol about disappears, even a full size double stack.

Not overweight but I have not had luck carrying IWB. Too uncomfortable. I feel like my body is asymmetrical which I imagine my back wouldn't like long term.

I carry OWB and second Bravo. I can't get away with effectively hiding my 2.0 Compact Smith, but my Shield disappears fine wearing it just like BT. I recently purchased two Vedder holsters just to end up returning them for refunds. Internet reviews are great, and I really wanted to like them, but the Bravo has more features and fits just as well. Maybe the edge of the Kydex is not as polished but if that was a concern for me, I can get it mirror shiny in about 10 minutes.:)

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County

I can second this. I wear one every day, all day. I've had it for about 5 years and it's just now starting to take a cant.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have been fat, thin and kind of of between. Galco combat master or concealable for OWB, Crossbreed for IWB. Always worked for me.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    Intending to scroll up to refresh this page, I believe I accidently clicked on report and caused the last post to go away. Sorry

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I use a CYA Holster for my G2C. I like it a lot. High-quality and low profile. Very comfortable to wear at 4 o'clock.

Like some others, I have moved almost exclusively to OWB holsters, except for this one. I like the single clip. It makes it really easy to put on and take off or to make minor adjustments to the position if needed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I use a CYA Holster for my G2C. I like it a lot. High-quality and low profile. Very comfortable to wear at 4 o'clock.

Like some others, I have moved almost exclusively to OWB holsters, except for this one. I like the single clip. It makes it really easy to put on and take off or to make minor adjustments to the position if needed.

MC, have you used or seen similar holsters in a higher price point? Like Vedder for instance? I just keep wondering how much better can you make a piece of .080" Kydex with a clip on it. Especially when it comes to function. Sure one can polish the edges but so can I.

I tend to buy the more expensive stuff since typically it is higher quality, but like I say, a steak can be only so good, no matter what the restaurant is charging.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    MC, have you used or seen similar holsters in a higher price point? Like Vedder for instance? I just keep wondering how much better can you make a piece of .080" Kydex with a clip on it. Especially when it comes to function. Sure one can polish the edges but so can I.

I tend to buy the more expensive stuff since typically it is higher quality, but like I say, a steak can be only so good, no matter what the restaurant is charging.
    Not for this particular style of holster. This one is solid and surprisingly refined. Higher quality than I expected for sure.

I do have other types of holsters that I've paid more for that didn't meet expectations considering costs. I have a Dara Holster OWB that I paid close to $100 for that probably should have been about $40. I bought it for CC, but it's way too bulky so I put it on my battle belt. It works great for that purpose, but so would others at a lower price I'm sure.

I've also paid a premium in the past for a good holster only to find similar styles and features that matched the quality at a lower price. For instance, I had a Raven Concealment OWB holster that was awesome but cost $80. Bravo Concealment makes pretty much the exact same thing for less than half the cost.

It's tough when you're looking for a specific configuration, especially if you aren't carrying a Glock. I've bought 4 new holsters for my VP9 just over the past six months because my set up has evolved. First it was that Dara, then it was a Safariland ALS which was just for the gun. Then I added a WML, so I got another Safariland to accommodate the light. Now I am adding a red dot, and that one doesn't accommodate the RDS. So I got a no name kydex on Amazon that fits the light and the dot. So far that's the most comfortable and lowest profile one I found and it was under $50.

It's seems like such a crap shoot when buying online. What works for one type of gun might feel totally different with a different gun even when trying to carry in the same way.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not for this particular style of holster. This one is solid and surprisingly refined. Higher quality than I expected for sure.

I do have other types of holsters that I've paid more for that didn't meet expectations considering costs. I have a Dara Holster OWB that I paid close to $100 for that probably should have been about $40. I bought it for CC, but it's way too bulky so I put it on my battle belt. It works great for that purpose, but so would others at a lower price I'm sure.

I've also paid a premium in the past for a good holster only to find similar styles and features that matched the quality at a lower price. For instance, I had a Raven Concealment OWB holster that was awesome but cost $80. Bravo Concealment makes pretty much the exact same thing for less than half the cost.

It's tough when you're looking for a specific configuration, especially if you aren't carrying a Glock. I've bought 4 new holsters for my VP9 just over the past six months because my set up has evolved. First it was that Dara, then it was a Safariland ALS which was just for the gun. Then I added a WML, so I got another Safariland to accommodate the light. Now I am adding a red dot, and that one doesn't accommodate the RDS. So I got a no name kydex on Amazon that fits the light and the dot. So far that's the most comfortable and lowest profile one I found and it was under $50.

It's seems like such a crap shoot when buying online. What works for one type of gun might feel totally different with a different gun even when trying to carry in the same way.
    I bought two Vedder OWB holsters to replace my two Bravo's because supposedly they were better. I sent them back. I saw very little difference and the Vedder's did not have the adjustability that the Bravo's have.

Now I'm looking to try IWB for my Shield and looked at the Vedder again but they are almost twice the price of CYA and CYA also has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. It might be worth the potential in paying return shipping to try it.

I am also looking for a straight drop OWB to replace my Bravo that I use for my 2.0 Compact. I considered Vedder again, but they ride too high for my new intended use for that pistol. Bravo doesn't make a straight drop so I will have to consider others.

Such is the life of optimizing what you have. :)

Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    Being overweight in the past I couldn’t put anymore inside my belt, probably would have broke my belt or left an imprint on my hip. I started eating right and lost 60 LBS. Feel better and now have plenty room to carry. Saved money on food and guess what I bought. Win win win

Top Bottom