• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • z0mb13_m0nk3y

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Indy
    This makes me sick. When the media broke this story they had the opportunity to portray this as local hero or anti-gun. Why does the media always find it easier to try and tear someone down rather then prop someone up? I think that if they would have showed this man to be the hero he was there would have been alot more viewers. Those of us who like to hear something good and the bad guys who want to know which kroger not to mess with.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    My comment on the WTHR FB page:

I dislike the phrase "packing heat," which borders on the pejorative and is a short step away from demeaning those who would defend their own lives or the lives of others as cartoonish "Wyatt Earps."

Likewise, it is misguided to characterize the immediate defense of life as "taking the law into your own hands," which is by definition "being outside of the bounds of law." Indiana law considers use of deadly force to be justified in the prevention of serious bodily injury or death. Defending against an armed assailant during his commission of a felony is not "outside of the law."

Author Steven Pressfield notes that "Some say the instinct to self-preservation is the strongest instinct of all, not only in humans but in all animal life. Fear of death. The imperative to survive. Nature has implanted this in all living creatures."

Acting to protect one's own life is thus instinctual, part of our evolutionary makeup, and justified in natural law. Of all the "unalienable rights" endowed upon men by "their Creator," the FIRST as written by the Founders in the Declaration of Independence was the right to "Life."

Acting in the face of mortal threat to protect the life of another is recognized in our culture as an act of high valor. We recognize these acts of valor with awards that have names like "Silver Star," "Navy Cross," and "Medal of Honor."

Not only should Elijah be recognized for his actions to preserve the life of another, we all should recognize and embrace our own right to take the responsibility to defend ourselves against evil, when it appears.​

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Well said, +1.

I dislike the phrase "packing heat," which borders on the pejorative and is a short step away from demeaning those who would defend their own lives or the lives of others as cartoonish "Wyatt Earps."

Likewise, it is misguided to characterize the immediate defense of life as "taking the law into your own hands," which is by definition "being outside of the bounds of law." Indiana law considers use of deadly force to be justified in the prevention of serious bodily injury or death. Defending against an armed assailant during his commission of a felony is not "outside of the law."

Author Steven Pressfield notes that "Some say the instinct to self-preservation is the strongest instinct of all, not only in humans but in all animal life. Fear of death. The imperative to survive. Nature has implanted this in all living creatures."

Acting to protect one's own life is thus instinctual, part of our evolutionary makeup, and justified in natural law. Of all the "unalienable rights" endowed upon men by "their Creator," the FIRST as written by the Founders in the Declaration of Independence was the right to "Life."

Acting in the face of mortal threat to protect the life of another is recognized in our culture as an act of high valor. We recognize these acts of valor with awards that have names like "Silver Star," "Navy Cross," and "Medal of Honor."

Not only should Elijah be recognized for his actions to preserve the life of another, we all should recognize and embrace our own right to take the responsibility to defend ourselves against evil, when it appears.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

Not only should Elijah be recognized for his actions to preserve the life of another, we all should recognize and embrace our own right to take the responsibility to defend ourselves against evil, when it appears.

Man, you sure can write some good words! :D

byggpoppa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    NW Indy
    I just left that Kroger (it is/was my regular Kroger) an employee told me the perp was arrested previously for armed robbery, was out from that and already was wanted for armed robbery again... then did this! All I can say about the Hero is... he made my day!!! If they fire this guy I will boycott them ,not that I'm that great a guy, but that Kroger is terrible compared to other area markets so I only needed an excuse!

dweezil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Fishers
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Kroger is between a rock and a hard place in terms of alienating segments of the population.

I personally feel they would do well to embrace the pro-firearm demographic. Wouldn't it be great if you could pick up ammo in aisle 10 between the soft drinks and the chips? I know I would be much more apt to shop there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was just watching Fox 59 News at 10pm, and I did not think it was cool at all to show the Kroger employee's home during the story. They actually showed his house with a security guard posted in an SUV and stated that he was not at home during the time of the filming. As if the bad guy's friends won't wait until the rent-a-cop moves onto another post. That is so irresponsible. :xmad:
    Actually, while I agree that it was probably inappropriate to show his home, especially if they gave or showed the street address, maybe any would-be revenge-seekers might think twice about it. He's obviously not afraid to defend himself (which is as it should be!). Then again, to people like the one that was committing the crime, life is cheap, and his "friends" may not care enough to seek revenge.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I commented to a person wishing that the guy would have hid under the register per kroger policy. I asked if she would feel the same way if it were her child being ushered into a back room with a gun to the back...or better yet...her.

I'm pretty sickened they removed my posting.

If u HAVE posted, make sure they didn't filter your post out!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I told my wife, robberies are going to continue until something like this happens. Maybe, just maybe, this will make the next perp question whether he wants to rob a particular store or not. Maybe this employees actions saved another store clerk somewhere in the future, from getting him or her shot in the face for a cash register full of money.

Criminals are a cowardly lot who prey on the weak, and if this is the kind of cruel justice it takes, so be it.

Quite true, but unfortunately this is a double-edged sword.

If Kroger fires or otherwise retaliates against this employee and reiterates their anti-gun policy, it will INCREASE the likelihood of armed robberies or other crimes at Kroger's, since a perpetrator will be almost ASSURED that there is no one among the employees capable of self-defense.

I see from another post in another thread that this incident has reopened debate on the issue of guns in the workplace and legislation to permit decent citizens to carry at work may be forthcoming.

Although I'm a hard-core libertarian and generally believe that an owner of private property should be able to do what they want concerning their property and its use, I support such legislation.

Life takes precedence and there should be NO venue where a decent citizen cannot go armed, whether as an employee or patron.

para1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    franklin
    The Kroger shooting

The manager who shot the would be robber is a hero we need to stand by. He was presented with a situation and acted properly. What would have happened if he only presented his piece (check YouTube on the cop who died from a motorcycle theft) or some one was killed innocently. I sayhave an open carry day at Kroger. The average law abiding gun owner spends 600 dollars on a piece and 125 dollars on a permit. We need to educate people on the wasteful gun laws being proposed. Canada for instance has a national gun registry that costs millions that has solved few crimes. Criminals are not going to register their guns first before they commit a crime. This manager at Kroger had balls and pulled the trigger he is a hero! Our forefathers demanded we protect ourselves with the second amendment and it is our job and he fulfilled it. The manager assessed the situation, took cover, and adjusted for a good sight picture as his mission. As a challenge I ask you to inform one person on guns, who is not a gun person in his honor.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Pull someone from a burning building and the press gushes over your act as a hero. Get a medal and police/firemen stand behind you. Shoot someone in self defense of yourself or another and you go into hiding and require security at your house and worry about retaliation. WTF...over.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So how about an OC event at this Kroger????

I have OC'd at that Kroger on different occasions.

If I was the manager or an employee that even worked in that shopping complex I would also carry. I'm surprised he chose the Kroger and not the liquor store or Pizza joint just a few doors down.

Top Bottom