• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blockfort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Bloomington
    In March of 2017, I'll be moving from California to Monroe county. I want to tow an enclosed trailer to move my stuff. I don't know how much our stuff weighs, but it's just ordinary personal belongings of my girlfriend and I, no furniture or appliances. We live in a 1br apartment now. Anyway, I'll need a truck to tow it. Once I arrive in Indiana, I'll be restoring an old house, and will need to make hardware store runs for materials and tools.

I asked this forum and Calguns about what truck to get and almost everyone says an F150 or F250.

I'd like to spend less than $10k on whatever I get.

Is an F150 ok for what I want to do? Or do I need an F250?

If the F150 is ok, Will the V6 4.6 work alright, or do I need a 5.4 or 5.6 V8?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    For the move, I'd rent a U-haul and tow your vehicle on a dolly or trailer. Once here, I think a 150 would suit you just fine. You could also get a utility trailer for larger items.

And trucks are still a bit pricey. 10k should get you a 7-10 year old truck with about 150k miles on it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My Ram 1500 is rated to tow 10,500 lbs. Unless you are pulling a car hauler, big RV, etc a 1500/150 is plenty. Plus, will ride better, better unloaded fuel economy, cheaper maintenance, cheaper registration, etc.

I used to drive a F250 Super Duty...and am quite happy with a half ton now.

Blockfort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Bloomington
    For the move, I'd rent a U-haul and tow your vehicle on a dolly or trailer. Once here, I think a 150 would suit you just fine. You could also get a utility trailer for larger items.

And trucks are still a bit pricey. 10k should get you a 7-10 year old truck with about 150k miles on it.

I'd rather spend my money on something that I will own, keep, and be able to re-sell, rather than losing $2000 on a rental.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    An F250 probably isn't necessary as the 150 should suit your needs. My insurance was quite a bit more on my 3/4 ton vs. my 1/2 ton which was one of the reasons I ended up selling it for something smaller.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Ford never made a 5.6. In the older trucks they had a 5.8. I wouldn't get the 4.6 personally, I'd stick with the 5.4 if you are going with an F150 which sounds like it would be fine for what you are using it for. If you happen to find an F250 with a 7.3 diesel that's always good too.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    The GM 5.3 and 6.0 gas motors are much better then Fords offerings, more more power and better mileage as well as being known for being tough.

Buy in CA to avoid the rotted out junk here!!!

Buy a 4x4, you will wish you had!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    El Camino or Ranchero!

I'm a Chevy guy so I would say Chevy 1500. But either way, the F150 (Chevy 1500) will do what you need it to. How big of a trailer are you planning on pulling?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I want to tow an enclosed trailer to move my stuff. I don't know how much our stuff weighs, but it's just ordinary personal belongings of my girlfriend and I, no furniture or appliances. We live in a 1br apartment now.

An F150 w/ a dual-axle box trailer from uhaul will probably be all you'll need. I did that from OH to MD and then back. Even had some furniture, incl a piano. Granted Appalachia doesn't have the climbs the Rockies does, but you should be ok.

4.6L v8 is an awesome, reliable motor. While it's not ideal for towing, I just towed a 4000lb travel trailer to WV and back (850 mi round trip into foothills of Appalachia) for a long weekend, no problem, with the 4.6L in my F150. Just understand about 4k is where it really starts to make power. so let it rev. The 5.4L v8 would be a little better... it makes more power and torque, and lower in the revs (I wanted that motor in my truck but just didn't find the right truck).

Newer 3.5L ecoboost (turbo v6) is better yet due to making power lower in the revs and forcing air in when at altitude towing over the mountains. But $10K might make it impossible to find a good one since they are all 5 yrs old or newer.

F250 3/4 ton would be overkill for what you're saying you need, if you're only planning this 1 tow, w/ no furniture.

(That said, my next truck will be a 3/4 ton for towing the camper...)

-rvb

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I want a truck. Very much. The sad thing is, I want a truck more than I need a truck.

If I was able to buy one today, it would be a Chevy Silverado or a F150. I like the looks of the Rams, but it's the inferior truck out of the 3.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

probably a 5.0L or 351W (not sure what yrs they got the newer motors). maybe a [STRIKE]v10[/STRIKE] 460. 1990's v8s are not going to make a lot of power (compared to the next gen gas motors in the 150s) and going to really eat gas (460 would really, really eat gas). again, for what you've described as your intended use, a 3/4 ton seems overkill.

-rvb

Last edited:

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I just moved from Connecticut to Indy and decided to use a u-haul van. I drive a gmc 2500hd duramax, but the box truck from u-haul was a lot easier to load up all our stuff, granted it was me, the wife and 2 kids under 2 so we probably have more crap to move! But if you don't already own a truck I'd highly recommend going the u-haul route and buying the truck here. At the least it will save you all the mileage on your personal vehicle, then when the time comes, buy a GM!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A bit off topic, but if you're willing to drive the speed limit and look unassuming, would you mind picking up a package in LA and bringing it to IN for me? It's a sensitive material that I can't send via post.

eagerly yours,
    -hoosierdoc

Top Bottom