• ...and so much more!
  • MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    When I saw this, I was wondering if there would be restrictions to general aviation. Looks like the NOTAM has been issued:

M0553/15 - AERODROME OFFICIAL BUSINESS ONLY. 01 OCT 13:30 2015 UNTIL 09 OCT 03:00 2015.
    CREATED: 01 OCT 13:25 2015

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I see there are a few other Ingo members from this area. Would be funny if I worked with one or more of you and didn't even know you were on this board. BTW, the KC-135 touch-and-gos happen quite often. Pretty awesome to be driving down hwy 31 and one of these beasts flies right over you!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Grissom Air Reserve Base is the only "Supertanker" Wing of KC-135R's in the Air Force Reserve. Two squadrons of tankers along with Army and Marine Reserve units.

The planes from Langley are one of several east coast units that we support for hurricane evacuation. http://www.grissom.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123459854

More details at the 434 Air Refuling Wing Public Affairs Web Site. Grissom Air Reserve Base, Ind. - Home

P.S. Have worked there since 1985. :cool:

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Photo from Kevin Gregory WRTV

Perfectly placed near Peru! Grissom Air Reserve Base: Thirty-four F-22 and eight T-38 jets were flown from Langley Air Force Base in Virginia to the base just south of Peru as a safe haven from Hurricane Joaquin.

I know we are not "at war" per say but somehow seeing so many planes all lined up in a tight little group just makes me wonder if we ever learned our lesson after Pearl Harbor.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I know we are not "at war" per say but somehow seeing so many planes all lined up in a tight little group just makes me wonder if we ever learned our lesson after Pearl Harbor.

Russia and China are both a long ways away. No need to park the aircraft in Hardened Aircraft Shelters in the middle of the CONUS. Biggest threat in the local area is tweekers with access to a rusted out 83 Buick and a twelve pack. Even then, they still are not going to get anywhere close to the Flightline.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Russia and China are both a long ways away. No need to park the aircraft in Hardened Aircraft Shelters in the middle of the CONUS. Biggest threat in the local area is tweekers with access to a rusted out 83 Buick and a twelve pack. Even then, they still are not going to get anywhere close to the Flightline.

Did you guys ever find that ladder and door off that A10? Lol saw a Craigslist ad someone posted a while back.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Saw two flights of four F22s heading towards Grissom across south Madison county around 1530-1545; heard others in the same time frame but cloud cover was fairly heavy, so no visuals.

Grissom is SOP hurricane bug out for the east coast USAF bases, while USN jets and US Army/Navy rotary wing(s) usually head to Ohio.

And all the Marine aircraft just stayed out here on the east coast!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The F-22A went operational when I was stationed at Langley 03-07. It makes a very unique sound, kind of an echo-ee sound.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Spent 12 years as a jet engine tech on A-10s. Three years at RAF Woodbridge and nine years at Grissom. We called them "20 ton dog whistles".

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    T-38 Talons. They use those to give the pilots additional monthly flight time, at a much lower cost per flying hour.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If an attack force can make it to Grissom form the east coast, west coast the great white north or the south without detection...we've got bigger problems.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Truly a beautiful sight... Didn't know any still existed!
    There are actually several. There is one in the experimental hanger at the USAF Museum in Dayton. Looks like there are a bunch left actually, most in storage. I think the D21 in Seattle is with the only remaining M21 that it was launched from.

Lockheed D-21 Drone

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Photo from Kevin Gregory WRTV

Perfectly placed near Peru! Grissom Air Reserve Base: Thirty-four F-22 and eight T-38 jets were flown from Langley Air Force Base in Virginia to the base just south of Peru as a safe haven from Hurricane Joaquin.

I count 9 T-38's... what else are they hiding?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    A crime that they made just a bit north of 125 of these little jewels before abandoning making any more of them, thinking that the F-35 would be the ultimate successor.
    Boy, were they ever wrong about that! :(

Top Bottom