• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I read today that about 32 F-22 Raptors will or have been moved to Grissom AFB to avoid the hurricane. Has anyone up there seen them? If they are already there, are they visible on the ramp, or do they have enough inside storage to keep them?

I've never laid eyes on one, so I'd love to slip up there Saturday for a glimpse, if they are there and my honey-do list isn't too long this weekend.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Photo from Kevin Gregory WRTV

Perfectly placed near Peru! Grissom Air Reserve Base: Thirty-four F-22 and eight T-38 jets were flown from Langley Air Force Base in Virginia to the base just south of Peru as a safe haven from Hurricane Joaquin.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Crap. I live spittin distance from there. I will have to go look tomorrow. I heard lots of activity today. Those T-38s aren't native either.

Loar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    I didn't realize Grissom still served as a base (in some capacity). That's great.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I saw 2 in my AO while exercising my K-9 at or about 3:03 pm.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I happened to be laying outside on my back at the shop today.
    I was working on dads car and heard them and looked up and 2 flew directly overhead downtown Kokomo.
    Sounded much different than the usual offerings.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I saw one firing up and taking off from Indy airport when it came to Mt Comfort airshow a few years ago! Excellent to see this top of the line fighter!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Photo from Kevin Gregory WRTV

Perfectly placed near Peru! Grissom Air Reserve Base: Thirty-four F-22 and eight T-38 jets were flown from Langley Air Force Base in Virginia to the base just south of Peru as a safe haven from Hurricane Joaquin.

Time to bail on the Union. Combine these with the A-10s in FW and we'd have a decent Air Force! :laugh:

p.s. I am kidding, don't ban me.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Saw two flights of four F22s heading towards Grissom across south Madison county around 1530-1545; heard others in the same time frame but cloud cover was fairly heavy, so no visuals.

Grissom is SOP hurricane bug out for the east coast USAF bases, while USN jets and US Army/Navy rotary wing(s) usually head to Ohio.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I didn't realize Grissom still served as a base (in some capacity). That's great.

I think normally they run KC-135 tankers out of there. Actually, a lot on KC-135s. A couple of years ago, we stopped at the museum and there were KC-135s doing touch and go's and takeoff and landings constantly the whole time we were there.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Pretty impressive watching them fly over. If I think of it I'll drive by and see if they can be spotted from the road. I live right there on base.. Pretty noisy afternoon yesterday lol

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I think normally they run KC-135 tankers out of there. Actually, a lot on KC-135s. A couple of years ago, we stopped at the museum and there were KC-135s doing touch and go's and takeoff and landings constantly the whole time we were there.

This^^^^^^^^^

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Obviously this is just a temporary move out of caution for the incoming hurricane, but I would presume that while at Grissom they will maintain the same level of operational readiness as they would for Langley, correct?

If I'm not mistaken they would be part of any response to a hijacking or other airborne threat on the east coast.

Top Bottom