Eeeewwwwwwww

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    You could always just add a little gasoline to your gun oil like the Russians did in WWII, but I'm not worried about that as I will not be spending the night in a frozen trench.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    The best answer to this question is to go out and test your gear the way you carry it. In my opinion, if you are carrying a gun you should be trained and practicing frequently. You should be practicing in all kinds of conditions. Hot summers, freezing cold winters, mud, dust, clear sunny days, whatever. After you put 10,000 or so rounds down the pipe in all these various conditions, you will have a really good idea how your pistol performs in those conditions. More importantly, you'll have a really good idea how well you perform in all of those conditions (probably the more necessary lesson).

If you have a decent pistol, and you aren't over-lubricating it with cheap lube, it will probably operate just fine in any condition the average person will likely face in Indiana.

Go out and test it first in the conditions?? Really? The last time it got this cold I was 14. But I'm sure you have an underground test range where you can test all your stuff down into the negative Kelvin degrees.
    Also, 10k rounds? You expect me to be able to afford that AND Obamacare? Really?
    Apparently you have no family, financial or time responsibilities.
    Good grief.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Go out and test it first in the conditions?? Really? The last time it got this cold I was 14. But I'm sure you have an underground test range where you can test all your stuff down into the negative Kelvin degrees.
    Also, 10k rounds? You expect my to be able to afford that AND Obamacare? Really?
    Apparently you have no family, financial or time responsibilities.
    Good grief.

Yeah, really. Go out and use your gear. Its this cold right now. Go to the range and test your gear right now. How can anyone on here tell you how your pistol will work with the lube you use, and the ammo you're carrying? They can't, but you can go out right now and find out. You don't even need a special underground lab. You just need an outdoor range.

And yes, 10K a rounds is good level to achieve a decent level of proficiency and have a good idea what your gun will do. It doesn't have to be all in one day, or one weekend, or even in one year. But if you're getting out and running your gun enough to be proficient, taking a training class or two, participating in a competition or two, or whatever shooting you like, you will end up putting 10k through your gun in a year or two. Maybe three. You will be practicing often enough to experience a range of conditions, and you will have a great idea what both you and your gun will do. I'm not saying 10k is some must-hit number. Make it 5k. Whatever. The point is training, practice, and testing are necessary. Otherwise it is just worthless internet forum supposition.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Surprised no one's mentioned this but: If your EDC is on your person, say IWB, don't take it out and keep it in the car. The problem isn't necessarily the oil, but the moisture built up from carrying next to your warm body. Take it out inside, let it acclimate, dry it by wiping, then put in car if necessary. Or, just carry like you normally would.

If I remember, wasn't military SOP in cold environs was to keep the rifles outdoors or in an antechamber rather than bringing inside with you to prevent moisture build up and subsequent freeze failure?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    +1

Use a higher end lube and you shouldn't have to worry about freezing. I use CLP. It's synthetic and won't realistically freeze. I've heard stories of Hoppes and even Rem Oil setting up in the cold.

I use CLP too. I tried Frog Lube for a minute, but I recently noticed that my guns that were lubed with it got "gummy" while stored in my safe which is in a cool room in our house. I don't know if anyone else has had that issue, but no more Frog Lube for me. The guns that were lubed with CLP had no such issues.

Do not leave it in the car at below zero. They will screw up if the oil gets stiff. Everything gets stiff below zero....Well, almost everything.

Guys trust me even the CLP will freeze up causing problems. I used to live in northern South Dakota. Pistol lubricant and tight pistols get finicky about 15 degrees. Sub zero temps will make metal in optics contract cracking lens. Go light on the oil, dont let the grease ooze, wipe off the guns, dont leave them in the car, carry a Glock. :cool: Just kidding! CLP in the striker channel will freeze up a Glock too.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I use M-Pro 7 for all my guns, regardless of weather. I never leave guns in cars, always on my person. All my pistols ride either IWB or in a RCS Phantom holster.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I use Slip2000 on my rifle and shotty, which sit in my trunk. Same with my Glock. My Glock freezes in my uniform holster and sweats badly when I come inside. So much that a blued gun would have rusted. A few weeks ago I was at the scene of a police action shooting with my rifle. I did not have time to grab my gloves. It was 30 degree weather and holding that rifle FROZE my finger tips. You cannot appreciate just how cold a rifle receiver will get until you have to hold on to it like you life depended on it.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    ... You cannot appreciate just how cold a rifle receiver will get until you have to hold on to it like you life depended on it.

The only time I ever hated Craftsman wrenches was working on a vehicle outside during a bitter cold spell. It hurt to hold the wrenches and I couldn't wear gloves because they interfered with my manual dexterity. At least I didn't have to worry about anyone shooting me in the cold.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    Don't overlube!
    On my semi-auto I just use one drop of CLP on each side of slide, work it back and forth several times and that's it

Top Bottom