• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Quick question... is this normal for a 1911? Thanks!

16if8d5.jpg

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Not at all normal. Are these factory or handloads?

Only way I can see that happening is if you are trying to chamber a round that is in the barrel (extractor sliding over rim)

Are all the cases looking like that?

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    The only thing I see with some regularity between 1911's and brass would be the flattening of a portion of the mouth of the case. Mine does it religiously when the front sight post isn't flying off (today). I have picked up a lot of range brass with similar flattening of the mouth of the case after watching folks shoot them from 1911's. Never any damage to the base...

Come to think of it - I've never seen any auto loader damage a base like that. If the extractor is badly warped inward it might clip the base like that. Just speculation on my part, though. Is it a new gun?

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    New used gun. I've been told there are around 200 rounds through it.

Any ideas on how to fix it save for sending it to ruger? Id much rather do it myself than lose a gun for three months haha.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Strip the slide off. Check to make sure your extractor is in line with the magwell (like it would be in line with the magwell). If not; your exctractor is clocking.

Check extractor tension by slipping a fired casing under the extractor (carefully) and shake it to see if it falls off (should not)

Then same case, shake it a bit more vigorously and/or lightly smack it into your hand: casin should fall out.

Then do the same with a loaded cartidge, it should hold the loaded cartridge, but it should fall when lightly shaken.

If any of these fail to drop the cartidge/case. Your extractor is too tense. If they fall too soon, it's too loose.

Neither of my 1911s have flattened the rim like that. Would check it out for you if you were closer :(

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Just tried that. I'm not sure how its supposed to be, but it would hold the round and would fall out after a few light shakes. No idea what to do.

Just tried this with my glock 22, the round is much more secure in the glock than the sr1911. It doesnt fall out easy though. Hmm...

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Can you take a picture of the inside of your chamber pointed towards the rear? I am guessing the line is either your exctractor holding the round too long, and issue with your ejector, or an improperly milled upper (near the firing pin hole)

I'm not a smith, but it looks like your extractor is exerting too much tension on brass when it hits the ejector that it causes the brass to bend. That, or a chamber spec issue.

Post that pic for me so I can have a looksy and do some digging.

More ?'s: have you fired any other ammo? Does the gun recoil feel gentle?

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Note: I just noticed the same damage is on the test round ruger shipped with the gun... interesting. In their haste to fill demand, looks like QC slipped a bit.

23jrj14.jpg

e5flok.jpg

70dmrm.jpg

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Looks like you have some bad milling on the slide from the ejector notch to the top of your slide based on what I can see (on my phone though). Would definitely give ruger a call or take it to a smith.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks! I can see the part you're talking about now. It is raised and the exact size of the damaged part of the brass.

Looks like ill be without a 1911 for a few MORE months... ugh.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I mean the slide. I can't tell on my droid if the area is raised or not. It looks like there is a tiny plain of metal that is raised like straight down from the ejection port cut on the rearmost lefthand side (right above the ejector. If you look, the brass stain also indicates the brass is being bent there as it doesn't seem to be hitting the breech at all.

Can you see if that part is flat? Pretty much the breech face directly above the ejecotr. I'm bout to get a damn laptop so I can edit photos!!!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The only thing I see with some regularity between 1911's and brass would be the flattening of a portion of the mouth of the case. Mine does it religiously when the front sight post isn't flying off (today). I have picked up a lot of range brass with similar flattening of the mouth of the case after watching folks shoot them from 1911's. Never any damage to the base...

Come to think of it - I've never seen any auto loader damage a base like that. If the extractor is badly warped inward it might clip the base like that. Just speculation on my part, though. Is it a new gun?
    The flattened case mouths appear on 1911's that don't have the lowered ejection ports, i.e. the Springfield Armory GI models. The brass strikes the ejection port on it's way out. It is only a problem when one wants to reload the brass.

Top Bottom