• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Love the Grendel. I reload for mine the Hornady black groups like buckshot for some reason. My rifle doesn't like the 120 gr bullets. 130 it shoots and 95-108 shoot good.

My next rifle is going to be a bolt gun in 6.5 grendel.
    Yes, the 6.5 Grendel is a great cartridge, she has a Howa 1500 in the 6.5 Grendel, but I am talking AR platforms.

Do you have an AR in the caliber? If so, what is it and what is your experience.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have a grendel and shot it a bit. Not enough to be completely happy with it and would hunt deer in a heartbeat with the platform. Having said that , I have become very fond of the .350 legend and its easier to find around here and the deer I shot last year fell immediately. I have never dropped a deer that quick before. Sorry got off topic. The nice thing about the AR platform 5.56, 6mm, 6.5, 6.8, 300. 350, 458. are all options to put into use.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Please tell me about your firearm there, ros.

BTW, gorgeous animal.
    Thanks! That little gun has put down a bunch of animals over the years.

Aero Precision upper/lower
    12.5” Ballistic Advantage barrel/bolt
    Larue MBTS2 trigger
    MI rail
    Sig titanium can
    Gearhead 2.0 brace
    Leupold VXR 2-7 (now in a MI QD mount)
    Also wears a Bering Optics 35mm Hogster-R for nighttime hunts.

Almost 8.5 lbs all decked out, but it carries easily at the low ready with that magpul sling.

ETA: it groups under MOA with SST, and just over with Hornady Black. Fortunately both shoot the same POI, so I can run the cheaper stuff when precision isn’t absolutely necessary.

I’ve posted most of these pics before, but here’s a few more adventures it has accompanied:
    AF0CA7AE-23AB-46F5-9FFD-F91FDE9A08F7.jpeg
    F4F55F2B-9400-45BB-A479-3AAA043FA8AD.jpeg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ros, thanks for the info.

Am I correct in saying that the way to go is to assemble it? I mean I prefer to buy off the shelf because of time (I am fan of "semi-custom", no muss, no fuss, friction and Clausewitz and all that).

Do you (INGO, second person plural) have an off the shelf, ready to go recommendation for an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel?

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I have built one in 6.5 myself, but for the second build used a factory upper from grendel hunter. I would recommend them. They offer a high quality upper (and complete rifles) and are made to order with a ton of options. My son took his first deer with it last year.

https://www.grendelhunter.com/

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ros, thanks for the info.

Am I correct in saying that the way to go is to assemble it? I mean I prefer to buy off the shelf because of time (I am fan of "semi-custom", no muss, no fuss, friction and Clausewitz and all that).

Do you (INGO, second person plural) have an off the shelf, ready to go recommendation for an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel?

A Decent price on an 18" Aero upper. Get a BCG of your choice and a charging handle that will work with a scope and you're gtg.

Complete Aero Lower.

Or just buy a complete rifle.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have two. One is a 10.5 inch SBR and one is a nicer 20 inch rifle. To be honest ammo is so expensive I haven't shot either for a year or so. The SBR was really gassy, so I got an adjustable block. I was using a silencerco hybrid.

I used the round on an alligator hunt and hog hunt last year in Florida. Performed excellently. I like the round a lot as kind of a DMR round also. My avatar pic is me using the SBR for hunting a few years ago.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Anyone have any experience with 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform?

Niece is graduating high school this year and for her 13th I got her a Howa Mini-Action in 6.5 Grendel. She loves it, calling it the "Goldilocks round".

Since I usually get the kids an AR for graduation (well, #2 got a G3, but #1 got a Colt 6920, #3 Centurion CM4 Mid, #4 LWRCI) I thought an AR in this caliber would be a good fit.

I have ZERO experience with 6.5 Grendel in any platform. How about you? What do you have? What do you wish you had?

Magazines? Optic?

I've had a 6.5 Grendel AR for several years. It's my go-to deer rifle. Shot 1 doe last year at 200 yards. Dropped like a rock. Any deer I've shot (obviously good shot placement), it's never run more than 10 to 20 yards. I use Sierra Game King 120 grain soft point bullets. They are fantastic...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've had a 6.5 Grendel AR for several years. It's my go-to deer rifle. Shot 1 doe last year at 200 yards. Dropped like a rock. Any deer I've shot (obviously good shot placement), it's never run more than 10 to 20 yards. I use Sierra Game King 120 grain soft point bullets. They are fantastic...
    Purdue, what make and model is it?

Looking at CMMG now.

O Kelps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Nashville, IN
    I just finished building mine a couple months ago. I love the versatility of the cartridge. I built mine to hunt deer but I can coyote just as easily too. As someone stated previously finding good magazines for the AR can be tricky. Some manufacturers advertise a certain capacity but in reality the mag will fit a few less cartridges than advertised. I like the ASC stainless mags (I bought 10 round mags and they hold 10 rounds). A longer barrel will maximize the potential of the cartridge but I opted for a 16" to cut down on weight and I could live with the velocity reduction. Decent ammo has been tricky to find at times. Just have to keep an eye open for deals.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Purdue, what make and model is it?

Looking at CMMG now.

I actually built it. I think it's a Palmetto Arms lower with a Rise Armament drop in trigger and Magpul MOE stock. I used an Omega handguard. Has a slick side upper (I believe AR Stoner). Topped it off with a Vortex Diamondback scope. Don't remember the barrel make. But it's a great shooter and perfect for hunting (I wasn't after a high end build as it was going to get scratched up in the field). All in all, I personally believe it's the best deer hunting platform for anything less than a 500 yard shot. It's light, compact, and reliable.

Attachments

• IMG_20181118_083430014.jpg
      IMG_20181118_083430014.jpg
      822.8 KB · Views: 5

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I actually built it. I think it's a Palmetto Arms lower with a Rise Armament drop in trigger and Magpul MOE stock. I used an Omega handguard. Has a slick side upper (I believe AR Stoner). Topped it off with a Vortex Diamondback scope. Don't remember the barrel make. But it's a great shooter and perfect for hunting (I wasn't after a high end build as it was going to get scratched up in the field). All in all, I personally believe it's the best deer hunting platform for anything less than a 500 yard shot. It's light, compact, and reliable.

Yes, looks great, but she cannot use it for deer.

Good thing I have until May of 2023. You guys have given me plenty to chew on.

Top Bottom