• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have not. I did see a groundhog in a tree in KY last month, wish I'd had a camera. I've heard that they climb but had never seen it before.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I saw one once when I was up in MN to fish with my grandpa when he was still around. Actually he saw it and pointed it out for me.
    That whole trip was cool.:)

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Ever seen geese on top of 2 story apartment buildings or houses? First time I saw that was a bit confusing. Fast forward to shortly after moving to my apartment here in Indy, and I saw a whole group of them on a building, chatting away. Pretty funny.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Mallards are ground nesters. Probably not a nest. Just a comfortable safe spot to rest. Unfledged mallard ducklings might not survive a 30' drop. Wood ducks, maybe. I've seen 'em drop 10' w/o a problem.

You bring up a good point, mallards are ground nesters. However a comfortable safe spot to rest? In a shopping center parking lot with the closest water 1 mile away? Something does not add up.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That sure looks like a hen Mallard, but maybe she was just up there to avoid a predator.
    It's common knowledge that Wood ducks, as their name suggests, are tree-nesting birds, though.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have not. I did see a groundhog in a tree in KY last month, wish I'd had a camera. I've heard that they climb but had never seen it before.

I have seen that twice here in Indiana. First time I didn't believe it was alive. Thought my friend's buddy popped it and stuck it there. Got closer and it took off, after dropping.

Second time I just took the shot and he dropped but didn't have it left in him to run.

Still odd to see one in a tree, in my opinion.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    No I haven't but I did see a rabbit in a tree. Really. When I was in the sixth grade I was walking behind a hunter adult friend and he passed the tree with a rabbit in it. I told him and he didn't believe me until I made him back up and look. The rabbit was sitting in a fork of the tree up about 18" being quiet as possible. It didn't work. Pete did something (I don't remember what because it was about 50 years ago) to make it run and then he shot it.

AboveTheBest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Bloomington
    That's a Mallard hen, what she's doing up there is anybody's guess...

As said already, Wood Ducks live in trees. The only other duck in North America that nests in trees is the Hooded Merganser, which are a mainly black duck with a white and black crest (looks like a hood).
    I'm not sure how many are in Indiana, but as they migrate like any other duck, there could be a few roosting in the area.

Side Note: Do not eat Mergansers, they taste horrible.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    My guess is is a female Mallard. I once saw a fat groundhog up up a medium maple tree eating young buds off the limbs.He was mabye 5 ft off the ground.

SeaseFire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Plainfield

Deer hunting in Parke County this last year, I have video of one I watched climb down and scuttle off into the woods.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I second the groundhog statement....floated Fall Creek fishing for smallies and saw one about 15' up over the creek.....kind of freaked me out but he didn't seem to have a problem with it....not sure what he was doing up there. I was going to ask him but then remembered I don't speak whistle pig.

Top Bottom