• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Both sides of Congress edited out 'Essential Workers' Compensation from the first COVID relief bill,
    And the rest never even considered having essential workers compensation.

Congress started with the idea of $20,000-$25,000 in tax credits for essential workers...

What happened to that?
    Why isn't anyone raising hell about it?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Both sides of Congress edited out 'Essential Workers' Compensation from the first COVID relief bill,
    And the rest never even considered having essential workers compensation.

Congress started with the idea of $20,000-$25,000 in tax credits for essential workers...

What happened to that?
    Why isn't anyone raising hell about it?
    Were they working for free? They were already compensated it's called a job and a paycheck.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The irony that most “essential workers” (truly essential, not the car salesman who called themselves “essential”) are as a group the lowest wage earners is lost on most.

that’s why they got no money from the government. Why would politicians give money to a group of people that largely doesn’t vote and will never contribute to their re-election campaigns?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    According to the State of Indiana, I was an "essential worker" in an "essential industry".....just to show how ridiculous this idea was.

I for one see nothing ridiculous in it. I was always for a broad definition of essential. Actually I prefer reserving that power to the people and letting the people decide what exactly is essential...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I for one see nothing ridiculous in it. I was always for a broad definition of essential. Actually I prefer reserving that power to the people and letting the people decide what exactly is essential...
    To be clear, the "ridiculous idea" I was speaking of is giving away money to "essential workers".

Better- clear the path for them to....work.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Perhaps they should organize and leverage their 'essentialness' to raise their compensation

The ones who really are essential will be able to pull it off, and the ones who are looking for an electronic handout will be starting INGO threads

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I keep getting told how essential I am and this week is all about recognizing my essentialness but all I really want is a little respect and a more attractive paycheck! LOL

Honestly though I actually DO like the company I drive for now and they pay very well but I've worked for worse for less so I appreciate that they appreciate me.

I'm sure if all truck drivers just parked for a few days there'd be a reckoning of just how essential trucking is!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have a friend who told me they said he was an "essential worker". A few weeks later he said he thought they meant "expendable". Just sayin'
    LOL....

I have a state issued pass with no expiration date....maybe I will be ok

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I will tell you what Kroger/JayC did down here.

After the initial panic was over and their incentive ran out, even though it is now 'worse than ever', they called everyone into the office and announced that they took back the incentive but they are all getting a 10 cent raise from their pre- beer flu rate!

I asked him if he needed help carrying all that cash...

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I'm sure if all truck drivers just parked for a few days there'd be a reckoning of just how essential trucking is!

No kidding!

No fresh food or fuel in 3 days.

No fuel would REALLY cut down on the idiot drivers...

About 6-12 months of canned goods in the supply chain, won't matter if it can't get from storage to retail outlet.

Since rates haven't increased, but demand for drivers have, we are getting the bottom end of the heap as 'New Drivers'.
    (See any video about Swift drivers)

There are at least 3 Indiana companies recruiting from prisons!

I've always wondered how guys with felonies get past the basic FBI/Homeland background check just for the basic CDL...

Not to mention the TWIC, Hazmat, Explosives, or this wonderful Bio Terrorism deal for hauling food...
    All of which take separate Homeland background checks.

I guess that point will be moot when self driving trucks come along...
    The idiots won't have an excuse anymore.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    As someone who works in an "essential industry " this is crap. No animal is more equal than another. I'm over all of this "a hero lives here" signs. IMO, this is just a spin off of the everybody's a victim, entitlement, everyone gets a participation trophy bs.
    There's a distribution center for Home Depot in Plainfield. They still have a huge sign at the entrance, "Heroes Work Here". I dunno, but maybe the word Hero is used too broadly in this instance.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    There's a distribution center for Home Depot in Plainfield. They still have a huge sign at the entrance, "Heroes Work Here". I dunno, but maybe the word Hero is used too broadly in this instance.
    Yeah, when did just showing up for work become heroic? Falling on a grenade to save your squad, running into a burning building to rescue complete strangers, absolutely. Clocking in, getting paid and going home, no way.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Yeah, when did just showing up for work become heroic? Falling on a grenade to save your squad, running into a burning building to rescue complete strangers, absolutely. Clocking in, getting paid and going home, no way.
    Depends. There are times when hospital workers are heroes, same with LEO, EMT, etc.

IF, and that’s a big if, the pandemic were truly the next Black Plague, they would still be working and trying to save people and keep society safe, and in those conditions just clocking in I would consider heroic. Not the same heroic as jumping on a grenade, but heroic. ;)

Top Bottom