EPA. Shouldn't there be an adult in charge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok. I work at a Steel Mill. I get to see all the bad stuff we scrub to keep it from poisoning the environment. I've studied history, and seen what the Mills can do when unchecked.

But, this is the EPA unchecked.
    FOX News - Top Stories - Top Stories - EPA blasted for requiring oil refiners to add fuel that's merely hypothetical

Requiring a company to us a NON-EXISTANT product. Then, reducing their fine by 98 percent and considering that generous?

This is how the libs are taking over fellas, by regulation and taxation (fines-fees and threats)....It is not just the elected officials but the agency's they start in the name of environmental stability. It has not a damn thing to do with "Safety or the environment. It is about leveraging their way on us through the threats of huge company busting fines and deeper regulation. The entire system is a huge Tumor sucking the life out of us. These agency's do not exist to protect us. They exist to deplete us of our money.
    I am all for "Clean and safe" We have done a lot along those lines but some of this crap is just wrong.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Sounds like a good lawsuit for the refineries to pursue. If I were the CEO the EPA would never see a dime and I'd tie them up in court for years.

Oh, and for the record...the EPA was given to us by a republican president. Nixon. It's been used against business and individuals, (quite successfully) by both sides of the Boot On Your Neck Party.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Actually, I don't think my orig. post said anything repub or demo.
    My rant was the EPA, which as was mentioned, has existed under both parties.
    Usually, if you say something against the EPA, you are portrayed (sp?) as being against a clean environment.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My rant was the EPA, which as was mentioned, has existed under both parties.
    Usually, if you say something against the EPA, you are portrayed (sp?) as being against a clean environment.
    Well, I doubt you're going to get that reaction here, even though there's a modicum of truth to it. Our environment HAS become cleaner since the inception of the EPA. Rivers are cleaner and the air quality is much better in most areas than it was when I was a kid. I remember driving through places like Pittsburgh and Ashland, KY as a kid and the air was thick enough to cut with a knife. The common sense regs that have come about in the last 40 years or so have had an effect on the environment. Some of the regs that have over reached, though have done incalculable damage to the economy, freedom and the free markets. These latest are just more overreach and should end up in the courts system before being struck down. Common sense often flies the coop in government.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Requiring a company to us a NON-EXISTANT product. Then, reducing their fine by 98 percent and considering that generous?

Didn't Solyndra have the contract to produce biocellulosic whatever? If only they hadn't gone bankrupt, we'd be greener already!! :(

These latest are just more overreach and should end up in the courts system before being struck down. Common sense often flies the coop in government.
    PJ O'Rourke addressed this in Parliament of Whores. Folks in the government cannot conceive that there are enough laws already. They have to justify their existence by finding new things to regulate.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds like a good lawsuit for the refineries to pursue. If I were the CEO the EPA would never see a dime and I'd tie them up in court for years.

Oh, and for the record...the EPA was given to us by a republican president. Nixon. It's been used against business and individuals, (quite successfully) by both sides of the Boot On Your Neck Party.

I know its a tool for both party's. Stuck in that old rut again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Didn't Solyndra have the contract to produce biocellulosic whatever? If only they hadn't gone bankrupt, we'd be greener already!! :(

PJ O'Rourke addressed this in Parliament of Whores. Folks in the government cannot conceive that there are enough laws already. They have to justify their existence by finding new things to regulate.

And new ways to lighten our wallets.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    PJ O'Rourke addressed this in Parliament of Whores. Folks in the government cannot conceive that there are enough laws already. They have to justify their existence by finding new things to regulate.[/QUOTE]

How did those poor ancestors of ours exists without all these rules? (Purple)

Also brings to mind a good line from a bad movie, Demolition Man.
    They were talking about microchips in everyone, the future cop can't imagine how stallone did his job. Forget what stallone said.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Originally the EPA was formed to combat smog in major cities. Like any government bureaucracy, once they had that under control, they had to find something else to do. Some of the measures they've required for preplanning for hazardous materials emergencies have been life-saving in various communities, but insurance companies could have gotten the same thing done cheaper and with less intrusion into business and private citizens' lives. And like most other bureaucracies, they were vulnerable to takeover by ideologues who believe that government does everything better.
    At this point, instead of saving lives, they're ruing lives much more than helping make lives better (unless you're a plant, frog, bird, or lizard).

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's not personal. He just never passes up an opportunity to trash Republicans.

How did those poor ancestors of ours exists without all these rules? (Purple)

Actually, they didn't.

The prevention of death is a motivating factor is a goodly number of the regulatory schemes that have passed since the 60s. We have become absolute pussies in the face of death. It has become a morality issue: death itself is immoral, prevention of death is moral. Therefore, any thing that is aimed at reducing deaths or preventing them is seen as good and just, regardless of the efficacy of the policy. Likewise, any opposition to those policies is the moral equivalent of forcing Grandma and Grandpa to eat dog food.

Look at the ridiculous amount of money we spend trying to forestall death. The Herculean efforts we take, sometimes at astronomical, financially-ruinous costs, to extend life with our medical care. Americans used to view death as just another part of life. Now it's become some boogeyman we have to fend off at every turn. And we've let that viewpoint invade every aspect of our society. We do it personally with our medical decisions. We do it nationally with our regulations. Both cost us a ****load of money and have a 100% failure rate.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Actually, they didn't.

The prevention of death is a motivating factor is a goodly number of the regulatory schemes that have passed since the 60s. We have become absolute pussies in the face of death. It has become a morality issue: death itself is immoral, prevention of death is moral. Therefore, any thing that is aimed at reducing deaths or preventing them is seen as good and just, regardless of the efficacy of the policy. Likewise, any opposition to those policies is the moral equivalent of forcing Grandma and Grandpa to eat dog food.

Look at the ridiculous amount of money we spend trying to forestall death. The Herculean efforts we take, sometimes at astronomical, financially-ruinous costs, to extend life with our medical care. Americans used to view death as just another part of life. Now it's become some boogeyman we have to fend off at every turn. And we've let that viewpoint invade every aspect of our society. We do it personally with our medical decisions. We do it nationally with our regulations. Both cost us a ****load of money and have a 100% failure rate.

Exactly, except folks' whose motivation is primarily to have power over others have capitalized and magnified this fear of death or injury to gain power over that segment of the population susceptible to such fears.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Actually, they didn't.

88GT, I am appalled that you called us a bunch of Pussies............:D

+1......I can not rep you as the Nazi's have me spreading again.
    This is what I have been saying for years but you (As always) put it out there for the masses.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    but insurance companies could have gotten the same thing done cheaper and with less intrusion into business and private citizens' lives.

Then why didn't the insurance companies do it?
    There was apparently not a profitable market for that kind of service. Businesses did not care until the government forced them to care. The majority of businesses would be perfectly happy to spew out toxins by the ton as long as profits stayed up.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Actually, they didn't.

It would be an interesting exercise for all of us small government types to see where our various comfort levels reside on the repeal of legislation that was enacted in the name of public health, safety, civil rights, union organizing, financial ethics, etc.

Top Bottom