• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carbon-13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Hey everyone,

I'm considering an EOTech 553 as a Christmas present to myself. I've never used any kind of EOTech sight, but I've heard they're the best at what they do.

Is the EOTech comparable (even in the same ballpark) as an Aimpoint sight? I'd love to hear your opinions!

Thanks!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    In before the Eotech/Aimpoint war!

Both are fine sights, each have slightly different applications.

I have both an Eotech and an Aimpoint and I like each fine. They fulfill different functions for me. Eotech has a few more issues than Aimpoint, especially the earlier models, but they are also cheaper. With an Aimpoint you turn the thing on and leave it on, changing the battery in a few years when it gets weak. With the Eotech you need to keep fresh batteries in it and it will auto-shutoff.

The primary advantage a HWS has over a RDS is with the HWS you don't need to have your cheek down on the stock to have your eye lined up with the sight, you have a much greater field of view. I prefer my Eotech for the ranch varmint gun where I may be shooting a raccoon running at close range at night. I like the Aimpoint for hunting or longer distance shots. Aimpoint's biggest advantage is that they are darn near indestructible.

Both have their fans and detractors. You open a can of worms with your question :popcorn:

Edited to clarify a point...

Last edited:

Carbon-13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    In before the Eotech/Aimpoint war!

Both are fine sights, each have slightly different applications.

I have both an Eotech and an Aimpoint and I like each fine. They fulfill different functions for me. Eotech has a few more issues than Aimpoint, especially the earlier models, but they are also cheaper. With an Aimpoint you turn the thing on and leave it on, changing the battery in a few years when it gets weak. With the Eotech you need to keep fresh batteries in it and it will auto-shutoff.

The primary advantage a HWS has over a RDS is with the HWS you don't need to have your cheek lined up with the sight, you have a much greater field of view. I prefer my Eotech for the ranch varmint gun where I may be shooting a raccoon running at close range at night. I like the Aimpoint for hunting or longer distance shots. Aimpoint's biggest advantage is that they are darn near indestructible.

Both have their fans and detractors. You open a can of worms with your question :popcorn:

Thanks! I don't think I'd want the added fuss of finding the reticle when buying a reflex sight. From what you've said, the HWS sounds like something I need. I'll be using it on a .458 SOCOM for "home defense", maybe I'll get an Aimpoint for a Mossberg Roadblocker... that is, when I finally buy one!

Thanks again for your insight!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You're in luck, my friend, as we just covered this very topic last week. Here is some excellent reading on the subject: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-eotech_vs_aimpoint_which_to_get_and_why.html

Also, I'm not getting the comment about not having to have a cheekweld with the EOTech? The Aimpoint is the same way, as in, you don't have to have a perfect checkweld-- if you can see the dot, you can make the hit.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    they both are backed by the military, from what i have gotten out of all the research i have done between the eotech and aimpoint is depending on the eotech they cheaper than the aimpont, but the aimpoint can take alittle more physical abuse and you can swim deaper with an aimpoint than eotech.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You're in luck, my friend, as we just covered this very topic last week. Here is some excellent reading on the subject: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-eotech_vs_aimpoint_which_to_get_and_why.html

Also, I'm not getting the comment about not having to have a cheekweld with the EOTech? The Aimpoint is the same way, as in, you don't have to have a perfect checkweld-- if you can see the dot, you can make the hit.

I was typing quickly and didn't explain it well. I was trying to get at "field of view" and how with my Eotech I have a lot more room to move my eyes around in relation to the rifle. Both are still better than a scope or iron sights.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I registered and logged in but I'm getting nada in the way of member pricing its still $469.:dunno:

I think they may have to activate it or something. Mine took about a day or so to start showing member pricing.

110x9gh.png

2n8n9ud.png

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    why do you want THAT one? the xps series is all around better than the previous offerings.

I think because you can use it with Night sites and Magnification if you want to, that would be later on, maybe, for me though.

And the battery life is a little longer.

Tough decision for me to make, all this is new to me.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I think because you can use it with Night sites and Magnification if you want to, that would be later on, maybe, for me though.

And the battery life is a little longer.

Tough decision for me to make, all this is new to me.

you can use all eotechs with magnification and the xps series has night vision compatible models as well. as for the battery life? 400 more hours on the 557 is ok but it still has the drawbacks of previous models plus its far more expensive given the deal botach has plus the rebate it works out to $344 a fantastic deal.

Top Bottom