Entirely uncalled for

Mgderf

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
May 30, 2009
I received a text from a friend today.
It was nothing but a picture of a price tag at a Home Depot somewhere in the United States.

I wish I knew how to link this pic, but I don't.
The ad read "3/4" Standard Plywood" for $95.98@

I don't know how anyone could afford to build anything at these prices.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
73   0   1
Aug 18, 2011
Southside Indy
It was nothing but a picture of a price tag at a Home Depot somewhere in the United States.

I just checked their website and the most expensive I can find is for treated "ground contact" sheets for $64.98. I checked marine grade, which I figured would be more expensive but I'm not finding a price. Still crazy!

dudley0

Nobody Important
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Mar 19, 2010
Grant County
7/16 OSB at the local lowes was over $32/sheet just a couple days ago.

Planned to build a garage for my father and a big barn for myself. Cheaper to just keep the stuff at the old place for now.

phylodog

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Mar 7, 2008
Arcadia
A friend of mine sent me a pic a couple days ago of fuel prices with 89 octane at $5.02/gal, he was in Maui though.

maxwelhse

Master
Site Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 21, 2018
Michiana
7/16 OSB at the local lowes was over $32/sheet just a couple days ago.

Planned to build a garage for my father and a big barn for myself. Cheaper to just keep the stuff at the old place for now.

I was just half-way joking with PD yesterday that I have some OSB I could sell. I don't think I'm joking anymore. I believe I'd make a 3x profit on it if all were equal. I don't have enough to make it worth anyone's time though. I think 8 or 10 sheets of 7/16.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
178   0   0
Dec 7, 2011
Speedway area
We just put a roof on the house next door (where the terrorists live) and yeah from the pricing I got last fall before the weather shut us down to now was an insane jump.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
178   0   0
Dec 7, 2011
Speedway area
I was just half-way joking with PD yesterday that I have some OSB I could sell. I don't think I'm joking anymore. I believe I'd make a 3x profit on it if all were equal. I don't have enough to make it worth anyone's time though. I think 8 or 10 sheets of 7/16.
Thats half a re-sheet on a 900 square foot house.

maxwelhse

Master
Site Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 21, 2018
Michiana
Joking aside. If anyone actually needs it, I'll probably be at my Dad's place in a couple of weeks (Laotto) and I'd be happy to get what I paid back. I think it was something like $12 a sheet. I used it for one week to park a construction dumpster on top of so it wouldn't scar up the driveway and it's been stored inside ever since. I had planned to use it to sheet the interior of the garage, then I sold the house.

The more I think about it, I think I have 6 sheets. Doubt its worth it for that quantity, but, 2/3 off is 2/3 off.

Leo

Grandmaster
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Mar 3, 2011
Lafayette, IN
I started pricing the lumber and checking availability to rebuild my 20 year old, 600 square foot deck. Even called some deck builders about replacement. Things are crazy. I ended up hiring a company to tear out the wood and pour color impregnated stamped concrete for the same kind of money.

littletommy

Grandmaster
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 29, 2009
A holler in Kentucky
Fortunately, I bought all the framing lumber and floor, wall, roof sheathing for my room addition last may. Went to buy a few pre cut 2x4 studs for an interior wall awhile back, and they were $7.98!!!! I left without em, had some 8 footers in the garage and cut those down instead. I probably paid a $2-3 for the 8 footers a year and a half ago.
Precuts were $1.49, and I remember not too long ago they were $0.98.
I think at this point manufacturers are using covid as an excuse to **** everybody any way they can.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Feb 28, 2009
winchester/farmland
Fortunately, I bought all the framing lumber and floor, wall, roof sheathing for my room addition last may. Went to buy a few pre cut 2x4 studs for an interior wall awhile back, and they were $7.98!!!! I left without em, had some 8 footers in the garage and cut those down instead. I probably paid a $2-3 for the 8 footers a year and a half ago.
I think at this point manufacturers are using covid as an excuse to **** everybody any way they can.
It's been one of the biggest scams in American history.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
May 30, 2009
This was the point of my post.
I don't think anyone can justify these prices.
This is much worse than after any hurricanes.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
Site Supporter
Trainer Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Feb 5, 2011
Mayberry

Fortresses are expensive. There were some Formica tables that I made out of 3/4 ply, also 1 1/2" tables. We got good $$$$ out of those.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Mar 5, 2009
S.E. of disorder
We picked up 3 sheets of I believe either 1/2 or 3/8 for some shop shelving; $50/sheet. My sister in law is planning on building a house soon as they get the permits squared away but in the past 2 months their material cost has already gone up about 22% IIRC.

Of course I suppose it's not only the Chicom's part considering the skyrocketing price of existing homes.

Brandon

Grandmaster
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Jun 28, 2010
SE Indy
I built a shed last year that I still need to paint but got the lumber right before prices went crazy.

I think I have right around 1k +/- a couple hundred in lumber, hardware and concrete... does not include the roof. I got a mix of pressure treated below the floor and above the floor is regular and of course osb.

I think I was more surprised at the cost of the hardware than anything. Bought a couple brackets that hold 4x4 horizontal to the posts in the ground, think they were 11 bucks each.

Top Bottom