• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    We signed a contract to build a new house on 10/06/2020. Nothing real fancy or high end, (1900 square foot ranch) but since then the base price of the exact same house has gone up $26,000. They are saying its due to the price increase of materials. They raise the price every 3-4 weeks anywhere from $2,000-5,000.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have already decided that I won't replace my deck this year. So I'm looking at installing a paver patio and rebuilding the screens in my screened in porch.

Does anyone know if stuff like screen material, pavers, stone, concrete have gone up along with lumber?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    We just put a roof on the house next door (where the terrorists live) and yeah from the pricing I got last fall before the weather shut us down to now was an insane jump.
    We were lucky when we had our roof done last Oct before all the crazy price increases. It was a complete plywood re-sheath. About 90 sheets total.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We were lucky when we had our roof done last Oct before all the crazy price increases. It was a complete plywood re-sheath. About 90 sheets total.
    My neighbor yo the north is a contractor. He is flat out upside down busy. He does any of the work we have to hire out. They did the front of the house 2 years ago with the room addition. We knew the back needed done. so he started bringing home non-used materials from the jobs they were doing. I stored them.
    Weather got us last year.
    With his generosity and a couple of his crew working a Sunday all I had to buy was the membrane/nails/shingles. Neighbors taking care of neighbors.

I will be installing a new system in his house when they remodel at my costs. No labor.

Wait.....90 sheets.......:faint:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Home Depot local:

3/4 plywood, sanded, 4x8- $50
    3/4 plywood, sheathing, 4x8- "cabinet grade"- $49

1/2 OSB- $36

So it looks like not quite twice the price for ply compared to 18 months ago and a lot more than that for OSB...oddly.

I don't have a hard time believing close to $100 for ply some places, though I would want to know what grade. Higher grades have not increased as much.

Birch plywood is going for about $75 (before rebate) at Menards.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Home Depot local:

3/4 plywood, sanded, 4x8- $50
    3/4 plywood, sheathing, 4x8- "cabinet grade"- $49

1/2 OSB- $36

So it looks like not quite twice the price for ply compared to 18 months ago and a lot more than that for OSB...oddly.

I don't have a hard time believing close to $100 for ply some places, though I would want to know what grade. Higher grades have not increased as much.

Birch plywood is going for about $75 (before rebate) at Menards.
    When I built my vanities in the winter/spring of 2019/2020 I paid around $50 for a sheet of Baltic Birch Plywood. The same for some oak plywood.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I got a quote to build a 24x24 garage recently. Because of material costs, the quote came at $49k. And that’s unfinished on the inside. With concrete.

I think I’m going to pass on that.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    It's just not wood but plastic resin shortages is causing prices to skyrocket for anything plastic related. Then of course the micro chip shortage is starting put a squeeze on electronics. Then to top it off paper for cardboard boxes is starting their own shortage.

Then add in the fact just about every company my work does business with says they cannot find enough employees. At some point the poo is going to hit the fan and it ain't going to be pretty.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's just not wood but plastic resin shortages is causing prices to skyrocket for anything plastic related. Then of course the micro chip shortage is starting put a squeeze on electronics. Then to top it off paper for cardboard boxes is starting their own shortage.

Then add in the fact just about every company my work does business with says they cannot find enough employees. At some point the poo is going to hit the fan and it ain't going to be pretty.
    I kinda laughed reading this. Right now on my work computer (which is right beside me) I am having a throwdown with a customer. Last year we quoted a tool repair for $12K. Due to several changes because of covid the quote is now just a tad over $70K. His head is exploding and I'm trying to explain to him how we got from $12K to $70K in a year.

And people think sales is a fun profession. Puleeeze!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Wonder if the people responsible for this will be held accountable?

At least here in Indiana, we don't seem to have the stomach for that, do we?

Sarcasm?
    Cause we know that not only will they not be held accountable, but they will be celebrated.
    Then, any problems will be blamed on "capitalism", and also blame people not part of the "hive".

Top Bottom