• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm going on my first elk hunt this coming October. This is going to be a drop camp hunt with a couple of buddies in western Colorado. I've never done anything like this in my life so I'm just looking for some advice and know how from those that have done this type of thing before.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you'll be hiking the mountains I'd recommend a good pair of boots. I sought advice for boots earlier this year on another forum for a KY elk hunt. The majority of those who responded recommended the Salomon GTX. I bought a pair and they were excellent moving up and down the hills. I have ankles like a 6 year old girl and I never rolled an ankle and we covered some pretty gnarly ground. They aren't cheap but they are lightweight, comfortable and offer better ankle support than I've ever had before and I've been through a lot of boots.

The only other advice I can offer is avoid shooting one if packing it out will be uphill. Compared to whitetail they are huge and packing one out will be a lot of work, may as well make it as easy as possible!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My wife and stepson went rifle hunting two season ago. Her aunt and uncle live in NW. Colorado so we stayed with them. My father in law acted as the guide and I was the "pack mule". Even though we didn't bring anything back we had a great time. My FIL goes out there every year and gave us great advice to prepare. Be sure to layer and take plenty of socks. Also try to get there a day early to acclimate to the altitude change. Whatever boots you get be sure to hike in them before getting out there. I bought Danner High Ground boots for my wife and myself. We really liked them. Light, comfortable, and waterproof. Good luck.

lionhunt64

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    At Close Range
    I'm going on my first elk hunt this coming October. This is going to be a drop camp hunt with a couple of buddies in western Colorado. I've never done anything like this in my life so I'm just looking for some advice and know how from those that have done this type of thing before.

I sent you a PM

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Work out all summer.

Get some tough boots, good rain gear and practice shooting up and down grades if you can. Or get a range finder that does the up hill down hill calculations..

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Went last fall to GMU 24. Few key points I found valuable:

1) Get good boots and make sure they fit. The terrain cannot be duplicated here. I bought a pair of Zamberlan's from Lathrop & Sons (Robinson, IL). They know how to fit you and the Zamberlan's were fantastic. Blisters come easy walking out there.
    2) Train ... The lack oxygen at 10K feet will test you. Do as much cardio as you can. Also, train with your boots and pack, not necessarily the cardio part. My cardio was 75-100 miles per week on a bike (knees can't take running). Walked at least 10 miles a week with 50-60# in my pack with a couple hours per week of stairs with the pack.
    3) Be prepared for weather extremes. Past fall was unusually warm, but you might see temps 15F - 70F.
    4) Might want to arrange an outfitter to pack out your elk if you are successful.
    5) Don't miss the application deadline ... having that tag is very important.

There are a lot of sites where you can find advise .... www.rokslide.com .... Hunt Talk Hunt Talk

Good Luck ... Nothing like hearing that first bull bugle.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Get yourself in shape to go. Lots of walking, running if you can and do some different things to make them lungs work to full capacity. Start estimating distances and practice shooting off had and from different things that can quickly become a makeshift rest. Get your will completed and filed with an attorney. this is not a joke as I deal with death weekly at work and I cannot believe the amount of people who are totally unprepared.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My only advice would beyond what you've gotten here and getting in shape is to do a thing or two for acclimation. You can get a mask for training here, and going out a day or two early to help get acclimated to the elevation may not be a bad idea. I just got back from Colorado last weekend and just sleeping at 9,500 feet takes a toll on you. You can really tell when active.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Getting in shape cannot be stressed enough. I run 4 miles a day, 350+ days a year and the altitude still kicks my rear. You can't just go from 700 feet in Indiana to 7-10,000 and be totally prepared. Also, practice shooting when you have an elevated heart rate. Don't shoot all summer of of a bench. Do it sitting, kneeling and prone. Learn to shoot off of a bipod and shooting sticks. Learn how to make a solid rest with your backpack as both a front support and a support under your arm. Good boots are a must, I like Salomon Quest 4D GTX with gators,...your mileage may vary. Most of all, go with an open mind. Your chances of success the first time (if this is the others first time as well) is not real high. Look at this first trip as a learning experience. If you kill an elk, that's just a bonus. Forget what you know about hunting whitetails here and learn about mountain thermals. The coolest camo around is not necessary to hunt elk, but an elk will bust you every time if it winds you and may travel for 3-4 miles before he decides to stop. You won't catch up chasing it. Lastly, shoot until it hits the ground. Don't be scared to whack it again if it's still on it's feet.

Dirty Steve

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009

Man, you read my mind. For the last few days I have been thinking about planning an elk hunting trip.

Let me know if you have an open spot. I don't have any friends that I think could swing it this year.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Acclimate in a day?
    You can't build up red blood cells that fast.
    You'e gonna have a slight headache for a few days.
    Take aspirin.
    Good broken in boots, your feet get smoked you're done.
    Pace yourself...........cut climbs to shorter stretches where your heart rate hits a certain point and then you rest
    Two or three chunks of a hike where you max out, vs six hitting 2/3 ............the latter might be faster
    Sucks when your ears are pounding and you're trying to figure out if you just heard a critter or not.

TP take some starting the 3rd day.
    When it hits, don't be scared.

Just find a tall enough log. Proly the biggest dump of your life.
    Lots of people don't talk about that stuff, hence the surprise when it happens.

Told an old coworker about it and he was kinda goody twoshoes.........never cussed or talked about stuff.
    When he got back from vac he came to the lab and said "DUDE!............"

I was warned by a bud that hunted out west several times, so when it happened to me it was less of a shock.
    P*ssed me off lugging all that sh*t to the top of a mountain and then offloading it.

After a week of blood cell building, coming home............I felt like freakin' Superman.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have killed elk across most of their CO range. It can be tough going but most of it is easier getting in and out of, and closer to civilization, than the rest of their habitat. Regardless you'll want to sort out yourself and your gear sooner rather than later. Hiking under a loaded pack is the best instruction and will allow you to quickly sort good from bad. If you are going with a guide or group who'll put up lodging, organize meals, etc., working out how to manage day to day logistics is of less importance than being able to cover terrain in as little discomfort as possible.

Also include shooting. A smartly selected bullet fired from a rifle that can fend any weather you might encounter is the place to start. Dispense with all props: bipod, bags, benches, shooting sticks, monopods, etc. Learn to shoot off your pack or in some field position, read wind, calculate the impact of elevation differences, and know your dope, and you'll not disappoint anyone including yourself. Elk have massive vitals and are easy to kill if you hit them, so don't let anyone talk you into taking a boomer.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks guys, this all sounds great. Keep it coming. The workouts have started, just ordered some Merrell boots and will probably be getting another set because I can get a killer deal on them. Been shopping for a pack and new sleeping bag already. The guys I'm going with and I are planning doing quite a bit of work together to get ready. One of them has horses and I'll be getting my tail over there to ride a lot as we will have a long horse ride from the base to our drop camp. Shooting work will probably start fairly soon, I'm waiting on my mount and scope to show up for my K-31 that I'll be taking. Looking at Garmins, and about to drive my wife nuts because I won't shut up about this trip.

Lionhunt64, I will be giving you a call sometime.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Thanks guys, this all sounds great. Keep it coming. The workouts have started, just ordered some Merrell boots and will probably be getting another set because I can get a killer deal on them. Been shopping for a pack and new sleeping bag already. The guys I'm going with and I are planning doing quite a bit of work together to get ready. One of them has horses and I'll be getting my tail over there to ride a lot as we will have a long horse ride from the base to our drop camp. Shooting work will probably start fairly soon, I'm waiting on my mount and scope to show up for my K-31 that I'll be taking. Looking at Garmins, and about to drive my wife nuts because I won't shut up about this trip.

Lionhunt64, I will be giving you a call sometime.

Mostly what others have said:

* You can never be in too good physical condition (I lived in Colorado for years, and climbed over 100 peaks over 12k feet... It is BRUTAL if you aren't in good shape).
    * Hydrate like mad with water when you are there. It helps with the altitude.
    * Plan on 2 or 3 days to acclimate to altitude. One day is not enough.
    * Weather there can change in an instant. I've been climbing, reached the summit in clear/blue/22 weather, and was caught in a snowstorm with 20 feet visibility on the descent. In July.
    * Have your ballistics calculations done. Shooting at Indiana altitude/humidity is different than western CO altitude and (lack of) humidity. Get a good ballistics app for your smart phone, if you wish.
    * Scent control is huge.
    * Have fun, good luck.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Good advice here. Been going out West for 8 years. From Northern Wyoming to Northern Colorado. Altitude doesnt affect me too much as long as I'm in decent shape. Then again we use horses so hiking is at a minimum. Alot of burning in the legs. lol. Get in shape and have fun. The scenery always keeps me going.

Top Bottom