• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just to add a second comment, but that's a beautiful revolver, and I especially like the big stocks it's wearing, which look great (no finger grooves) and aren't the weird looking skinny ones found on the likes of the old Colt New Service and some of the other S&W revolvers.
    Maybe you can get in some range time and photos of your groups...to post here, naturally. ;)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Second the model 14. I have one with a 6" barrel that I picked up at the local gun show. It's a great gun for target shooting.

Mine has Belgian proof marks. Apparently Smith made it for the Belgian army and it somehow made it back to the states.

smith14-4_zps81062a20.jpg

Number one...You do not need those grips...Sell them to me...:)

Number two....I have had a Smith with German proof marks...It is my understanding that these weapons were sold to soldiers via the PX back in the 50's through the 80's...In order for a weapon to be sold in the host country the weapon needs to be proofed by the country they are being sold in....When Smith was exporting these overseas the weapon would be sent to the proof house for proofing and then taken to the PX for sale....That beautiful weapon of yours has all of the earmarks of of a slow fire target match revolver....The military base may have had a shooting club and an officer wanted this revolver (Can you blame him?) to compete in the matches...

What's the DOB of this revolver?

I had a Gun Digest article from the 1950-1960 era that had an article on the various shooting clubs at our bases overseas that talked about this practice....

Sooo.....If you decide to ditch the grips you know who to pm first right? RIGHT???????:)

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm not sure if the Model 15 came with a bull barrel. It's certainly possible, but most I've seen had the standard profile barrel.

Only in the "snub" category...For whatever reason they used 2.5 inch Model 19 barrels for the 2.5 inch barrel model 15's....To keep recoil down or to save costs I believe....(not that they would be "cheaper" to make but because they already had them on hand..)

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Number one...You do not need those grips...Sell them to me...:)

Number two....I have had a Smith with German proof marks...It is my understanding that these weapons were sold to soldiers via the PX back in the 50's through the 80's...In order for a weapon to be sold in the host country the weapon needs to be proofed by the country they are being sold in....When Smith was exporting these overseas the weapon would be sent to the proof house for proofing and then taken to the PX for sale....That beautiful weapon of yours has all of the earmarks of of a slow fire target match revolver....The military base may have had a shooting club and an officer wanted this revolver (Can you blame him?) to compete in the matches...

What's the DOB of this revolver?

I had a Gun Digest article from the 1950-1960 era that had an article on the various shooting clubs at our bases overseas that talked about this practice....

Sooo.....If you decide to ditch the grips you know who to pm first right? RIGHT???????:)

Never, but just to humor you, OK, sure. :D

Thanks for clearing up the proofmark thing. Year appears to be late 70's, maybe around 77-78? Serial number is 24K26XX .

Top Bottom