• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I'm shopping around right now looking at Quad Rails and Handguards for an AR build in a few months and I've noticed what might be called a wide disparity between name brand guards/rails and off brand. I don't have the budget to buy one of the nicer name brand options yet and I understand that the off brand options might be heavier but is there something else I should be aware of? Anyone have any experience buying these from Ebay or Armslist either negative or positive?

Why are they so expensive to begin with? Having never messed with one of the more expensive models I don't have direct experience with them but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how much of the budget the name brand options would command.

example of what I've seen so far on the budget minded side:
    Keymod 12" Free Float Super Slim Handguard Rifle Full Length Aluminum Quad Rail | eBay
    12? Inch Full Length Free Float Quad Rail Rifle Handguard, Floating Hand Guard | Ade Advanced Optics
    10 inch Free Float Quad Rail Handguard AR Mid Length Lifetime Warranty | eBay
    AR15 Gen III Carbon Fiber 12" Free Float Quad Rail : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com Carbon fiber? I have my doubts...

What kind of things should I be aware of when considering these types of options. Is it worth waiting to buy one of the name brand options with the same features? No, I haven't decided which length I want I just wanted to throw some examples out that have caught my eye. However, I am looking at between 10" and 12" on a mid length 16" barrel.

I haven't counted out something like the Magpul MOE handguards. They would probably work just fine for my needs. I just wanted to understand what was going on with the FF rails and the price differences.

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but here's where I'm coming from.

I've always just built uppers with regular handguards. Heck, usually just bought the uppers already assembled. But I ran across some Daniel Defense rails on midwayusa clearance some time ago and picked a couple up. I've built 2 uppers around these rails (Lite Rail II 10") and am very impressed.

I think besides the weight, you probably need to look at how they attach. Depending on what you intend to hang off the rails, it probably is very important they are solid and stable. Also, is there are prorietary tool required to mount them (the DD rails I have came with it).

I will tell you that on my 16" midlength gun, I wish I had the 12" rail. There's plenty of barrel sticking out past the rail. But the 10" was too good a deal to pass up (I paid $140 for a MSRP $400 rail).

Also, here's one I've been eyeballing that I would consider buying and building with. I have some Ares Armor stuff, but no rail. But this one caught my eye.

Upper - 12" Harpe Rail- Ares Armor 80% AR15

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but here's where I'm coming from.

I've always just built uppers with regular handguards. Heck, usually just bought the uppers already assembled. But I ran across some Daniel Defense rails on midwayusa clearance some time ago and picked a couple up. I've built 2 uppers around these rails (Lite Rail II 10") and am very impressed.

I think besides the weight, you probably need to look at how they attach. Depending on what you intend to hang off the rails, it probably is very important they are solid and stable. Also, is there are prorietary tool required to mount them (the DD rails I have came with it).

I will tell you that on my 16" midlength gun, I wish I had the 12" rail. There's plenty of barrel sticking out past the rail. But the 10" was too good a deal to pass up (I paid $140 for a MSRP $400 rail).

Also, here's one I've been eyeballing that I would consider buying and building with. I have some Ares Armor stuff, but no rail. But this one caught my eye.

Upper - 12" Harpe Rail- Ares Armor 80% AR15

That rail looks to be exactly what I'm looking for at a price that I can stomach. It's a little higher than I had originally planned but I can do that for a quality company.

Top Bottom