• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrzachary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    I never thought I would use one or have the need for one but that ideology is completely gone now that I started carrying one. I now carry a Four Sevens Preon 1 everywhere I go and its amazing how much I find myself using it. Anyone else out there carrying an EDC flashlight? Which one? Also, what weapon light do you prefer and why if you have one? This is something I will be needing soon.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I carry a mag lite LED XL50. It's a little fat thing, but is by far the brightest. It also has 3 settings (via button press) Bright, lighter, and strobe.

It was 30 bucks. Batteries last about 2 months. I use it all the time :)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I never thought I would use one or have the need for one but that ideology is completely gone now that I started carrying one.

Crazy how that happens, eh? I've been carrying a light daily for about 4 years now and I use it ALL the time.

Anyone else out there carrying an EDC flashlight? Which one?

I carry a Surefire Lumamax LX2.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ht_pt2l_surefire_lx2_lumamax.html#post2696363

Also, what weapon light do you prefer and why if you have one?

My EDC "weapon light" is my handheld Surefire. It can be used alone for blinding/veiling light, as an impact weapon, or in conjunction with a pistol.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ashlight_as_a_defensive_tool.html#post2701667

I like the Surefire for several reasons.

• Very heavy duty and rugged, yet still lightweight
    • Large enough to hit someone with, yet small enough to carry clipped to my pocket
    • Reliable
    • LED
    • Two brightness levels-- 15 lumens and 200 lumens
    • Switchology that works under stress
    • Great warranty backed by an outstanding American company
    Many of these features came to light (haha) when I took Mindset Laboratory's Flashlight Combatives course.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...shlight_combatives_12_4_11_a.html#post2392811

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Streamlight PT-1L

I have been carrying this little jewel on my belt everyday for several years now and find that I use it almost everyday too. Link to optics planet: Streamlight PT Professional Tactical 1L LED Flashlight FREE S&H 88030. Streamlight Professional Tactical Flashlights, Streamlight Flashlights, Streamlight Weapon Accessories, Streamlight Flashlight Accessories I bought this one several years ago and I think I only paid about $30.00 at that time. Probably cheaper on e-bay. :)

StreamlightPT-2.jpg

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I carry the Streamlight PT2L. It is the same as the one above, but it takes 2 batteries. I also find that I use it almost every day.

Great little light and got it for about $30 from Botach

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    First I carried a Surefire Z2 in a belt carrier, but I found myself not carrying a light due to the bulk of the flashlight and carrier. So I bought a Streamlight PT2L when they came out, but I believe it got snagged on a seatbelt as I was exiting a vehicle and I lost it. It worked well, but I wanted something different.

Next, I bought a 4Sevens Quark 123(2) Tactical. It isn't a bad light, but I do not like the switch on it. My PT2L had the same mechanism, but was protected by the crenelated tailcap. The switch on the 47s light will sometimes be activated all the way into the "click-on" position by my mag carrier when I'm seated.

I'm considering going back to Surefire because of their push to activate, twist to keep on switching method. I like the idea of the 2-stage tailcap like the poster above linked to. I haven't switched yet because of the price. Wow!

mrzachary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Next, I bought a 4Sevens Quark 123(2) Tactical. It isn't a bad light, but I do not like the switch on it. My PT2L had the same mechanism, but was protected by the crenelated tailcap. The switch on the 47s light will sometimes be activated all the way into the "click-on" position by my mag carrier when I'm seated.
    I would opt for the NON-tactical versions because of the protected switch hopefully eliminating that problem. The mode of operation is in my opinion is no less functional than the tactical and I would prefer the regular version's mode of operation.

I think when I get a weapon light or a larger carry/backpack/weapon light I will most likely go with Four Sevens. A couple reasons why I really like Four Sevens is because of the modes they put on every light. I camp/hike a fair amount so I really like the moonlight mode and having an S.O.S. and a Beacon mode are great.

I'm considering going back to Surefire because of their push to activate, twist to keep on switching method. I like the idea of the 2-stage tailcap like the poster above linked to. I haven't switched yet because of the price. Wow!

Agreed. My brother has some Surefires and they are great. I just don't see how its actually worth the money. To each his own though.

I used to have a Streamlight pen light. Forget the model. Ran on 2 AAA's. Something went wrong inside. When it worked it was awesome.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Most of the time I carry a SureFire E2DL. When I am not wearing my work pants I carry a SureFire LX2. See esrice's explanation above.

Yes I use my light a lot. Almost every day. I also use my pocket knife almost everyday.

We have two gun mounted lights around the house. A streamlight TLR-1 and TLR-3.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    My EDC is a Surefire E1B Backup. I also have a preon 1 that I use if i want something small. 4Sevens Quark 123 is also a nice choice (its called a QPL-AA now) That's what my wife has been using for a couple years now.

My weapon light of choice is an Elzetta, but i tend to rotate through them so to get my hands on a lot of lights to see how they work.

Personally, I don't use a pistol light, but if I did it would be a Surefire x300.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I have an E2DL, several dealextreme 6p knockoffs, and a quark 123 tactical. There is no way for me to go back to a reverse clicky for EDC, so the non-tac 4sevens is a no go. I also don't want anything that twists on my light.

My next light will be a HDS clicky, probably the 170T with the golden dragon. The E2D throws great, but is slightly bulky and pointy in the pocket.

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I like the momentary fuction of the 4-7 light. I don't think I could do the non-tactical. As far as the modes, I usually just keep mine on high and strobe.

I camp a lot too, and I can say that I won't be using the moonlight mode on the handheld. I always carry a headlamp on me while camping. I would like to get a light that uses rechargeable 123s so I have compatibility between my different EDC, weaponlights, and headlamps.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I like the momentary fuction of the 4-7 light. I don't think I could do the non-tactical. As far as the modes, I usually just keep mine on high and strobe.

I camp a lot too, and I can say that I won't be using the moonlight mode on the handheld. I always carry a headlamp on me while camping. I would like to get a light that uses rechargeable 123s so I have compatibility between my different EDC, weaponlights, and headlamps.

The 4sevens lights come in both AA and 123a versions. So that would help you get everything on the same battery.

I did also just pick up a Princeton Tec remix.... I got a chance to play around with it upnorth last weekend, but not to the extent I wanted... but so far so good. I always knew they were a good value, just havn't had a lot of time with them hands on yet...

mrzachary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Eagletac T100CR MKII on my 870:

7264844508_5bc5169a60_c.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

What kind of barrel clamp or light ring you rockin' there?

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    The 4sevens lights come in both AA and 123a versions. So that would help you get everything on the same battery.

I did also just pick up a Princeton Tec remix.... I got a chance to play around with it upnorth last weekend, but not to the extent I wanted... but so far so good. I always knew they were a good value, just havn't had a lot of time with them hands on yet...

Right, but my headlamp uses a 123. I chose it to be compatible with my flashlights. :D I haven't been impressed by the brightness of any of the single battery AA lights and the dual battery AA lights are too long. The 2x123 lights seem to be the best combination of brightness and size.

And just for anyone reading this, rechargeables kind of suck when it gets cold, so don't go thinking you could get away with just having a bunch of rechargeables like I did.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Top Bottom