• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How many INGOers carry a flashlight with them regularly? Of those, how many carry one that is bright enough and large enough to use as a self defense tool?

There are two common ways to use a flashlight defensively-- by disrupting an attacker's vision to the point where you can move/escape/strike, or by using the flashlight body to physically strike or manipulate an attacker (think kubaton).

While recently visiting my photographer Mother I decided to see if I could photographically illustrate that first way. It took several attempts and many manual changes, but we were finally able to capture it.

Let's say that you have pulled over to the side of a dimly lit road in a bad part of town to change a flat tire. As you are finishing up you hear footsteps approaching to your left. As you stand up you move your flashlight and point it at the knees of the approaching stranger, who slows their pace and says "Hi there, need some help?"

"No thanks, I've got it all taken care of" you reply.

2yjwjcw.jpg

The stranger continues to inch toward you. You then bring your light further up to the stranger's chest. He starts to raise his hands to shield his eyes and he stops his advance. "Hey that's kinda bright, are you sure you don't need a hand?"

350s969.jpg

"Back up" you say firmly.

erbd04.jpg

"Now wait just a minute here. . . . " You now raise the light directly into his eyes, making them slam shut as you move around to the other side of your car. The stranger's night vision is now wrecked and he takes a moment to reorient.

fp4dvo.jpg
    154how7.jpg

"I said BACK UP!" you now shout.

"Ok ok! Geez!" the stranger grumbles as he turns and walks back toward a parking lot.

The point here was not to get into an altercation or a gunfight, but to avoid one by a simple show of force using only light. If the stranger's intentions had been violent he would've been way behind the curve as your light and commands would have reset his OODA loop several times. You would've had the opportunity to step off the line of attack and draw a pistol or strike the attacker with a blow he never would've seen coming.

To see them again in sequence:

wtu5xd.jpg
    35mp5qt.jpg
    20r026g.jpg
    ivhmdf.jpg
    j9y5q0.jpg

Shay covers this "veiling light" concept extensively in Mindset Laboratory's Flashlight Combatives course. I learned a great deal in this class covering what most would consider a very 'basic' tool. If you'd like to read my AAR of that course you can find it here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...boratory_flashlight_combatives_12_4_11_a.html

If you don't currently EDC a quality flashlight I would recommend you do. And if you already do, I would recommend some quality training to supplement your gear. Besides the many utilitarian uses for a light, it might one day save your bacon.

:ingo:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'm impressed that the camera did that light justice and didn't just show up empty even on the first two levels. I keep saying I'm going to take the mindset labs courses.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I always have my Surefire LX2 in my pocket. Even at home in my relaxin' pants, it's in my pocket.

When I'm leaving work at night or leaving the store, I now find myself carrying the light in my hand, or in my hand while it's in my coat pocket.

Freeborn Man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Memphis, IN
    Does anyone carry their light in a separate flashlight holster? Like a kydex one from Raven? How do you like it compared to pocket carry? I am trying to figure out the best way to carry mine.

fng120

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 17, 2011
    Out in the back woods
    I carry my strion led all the time and F with my buddies. Turn the strobe mode on someone and they are blind for at least 5 sec in darker areas. Enough time to get away or get out what you want.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Does anyone carry their light in a separate flashlight holster? Like a kydex one from Raven? How do you like it compared to pocket carry? I am trying to figure out the best way to carry mine.

I carry mine in my left front pocket. I don't want to carry my light in a separate pouch because thats where I'm used to carrying my spare mags.

It would suck if I grab my light instead of my mag ;)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep my light is always in my left (weak side) front pocket. Usually a SureFire E2DL Defender but sometimes a SureFire LX2 LumaMax.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm impressed that the camera did that light justice and didn't just show up empty even on the first two levels.

Yeah my Mother was quite patient out in the dark as it was getting colder last night. It took the better part of an hour to set up and get those shots.

D-cell mag lights are awesome defensive weapons - and are very durable and cheap.

They are, but they aren't very compact, so you're not very likely to carry it with you at all times.

with a strike bezel.

Something to consider in regards to strike bezels (aka 'stabby bits'):

They aren't knives so they aren't likely to cause enough physiological disruption to cause incapacitation. So what you're left with is a few lacerations, which means you now have bad guy blood on your face, in your eyes, and in your mouth. Lots of risk and no real reward-- no thanks.

They can wreak havoc on your pants and coats, your car seats, and anything else you carry the light around.

They will also get flagged by TSA agents as a "weapon".

When I'm leaving work at night or leaving the store, I now find myself carrying the light in my hand, or in my hand while it's in my coat pocket.

Same here. :yesway: Sometimes I use it just because I need some light.

Last edited:

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I carry one all the time. Weak side, front pocket.

Quark 123^2 X Tactical. Primary is set to Max at 360 Lumens. Secondary is set to Medium at 65 Lumens.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    There are two common ways to use a flashlight defensively-- by disrupting an attacker's vision to the point where you can move/escape/strike, or by using the flashlight body to physically strike or manipulate an attacker (think kubaton).

They aren't knives so they aren't likely to cause enough physiological disruption to cause incapacitation. So what you're left with is a few lacerations, which means you now have bad guy blood on your face, in your eyes, and in your mouth. Lots of risk and no real reward-- no thanks.

They can wreak havoc on your pants and coats, your car seats, and anything else you carry the light around.

They will also get flagged by TSA agents as a "weapon".

So your against strike bezels? I think if you hit someone with a flashlight with or without a strike bezel they are going to get a laceration either way unless your light has rubber all around it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Lemme know when you get it completely figured out.:) I had Raven make one for my TK11/TK12's. I'm sure I'd use it if I was out a lot more after dark, but most of my after dark activities are running between lighted places. When I'm doing this, my light is lanyard-ed to my hand, ready for lighting up and striking if necessary. Re-holstering the light behind me is awkward and inconvenient at best, let alone giving away that there is reason to look at my belt.

...you now have bad guy blood on your face, in your eyes, and in your mouth. Lots of risk and no real reward-- no thanks.

Interesting, I was just having this conversation with a gent recently. He was bleeding from running his own hand into his own light during a gun handling drill.

My preference is a plane round bezel for striking. Light them up, strike them solid, they will drop like a rock. The strike might draw blood, but I didn't ask it too. AND I don't have to defend striking with a flashlight vs a bladed device that lights up. A strike with what I had to get the attacker off of me vs bringing a bladed weapon to a fist fight.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom