• ...and so much more!
  • Methos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hey folks. Picked up an EC9s a few months back. I really want to like this gun but it seems that I'm not shooting it well. I'm no stranger to pistols, but mostly I have experience with full size. I can shoot my SR9 and keep a nice tight group at about any reasonable distance.

With the EC9s I understand it's not designed to drive tacks at 20 yards or anything, but even at 5-7 yards I can't seem to get anything resembling a decent group. I'm lucky if I get all 7 rounds on an 18x12 target. I'm looking for any and all advice for better handling of a little pistol that could help.

Maybe I need to accept that it's just the wrong size gun for me, but at this point I want to conquer this!

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I've killed 4 out of 5 Chipmunks with mine at 5 -12 yards . I have 4x4 chunks for hands , put the extended Mag plates on mine . They made a huge difference. Have you tried shooting off a rest and different ammo?

Methos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've tried several brands of ammo and can't see a noticeable difference between them. I have not tried a rest, that's an idea I'll give a whirl on my next range visit to see what it does then.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I have an LC9S Pro. Love the little pistol, but yes it can be a little difficult to shoot compared to a compact or larger pistol.

First it is all about grip. A gun as small as the LC9s in 9 mm is going to squirm in your hand unless you have good grip technique and pressure.

As previously stated the finger grip mag extension really is a must for me. I found adding a Hogue grip sleeve made a tremendous difference for a very small addition in width and grip circumference. It also frankly, just made the gun more pleasant to shoot.

21 ft, on a good day.

Attachments

• PXL_20210110_184005070.jpg
      PXL_20210110_184005070.jpg
      3 MB · Views: 3

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    The rest should give you some insight on your grip and trigger pull and how it effects accuracy . The pinky extensions on the mags helped me out a lot .

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Can you have someone else shoot it and see how it is for them? Have you visually inspected the sights to see if they're centered in their respective dovetails? It's rare that they're horribly off from the factory, but it happens. Or sometimes they can walk in the dovetails as the gun is fired. (that happened to me with aftermarket night sights on my Shield)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Full size guns, especially those with good crisp triggers, can mask a lot of bad habits/techniques. It may be the gun but if your experience is all full size 1911s, it could absolutely be you too. you can try off a rest but having someone else with small-gun experience would be really good.

Big guns are nice, they have a lot to hang on to, a long sight radius to minimize error, big sights to see easily, and you can get sloppy and point shoot without the sights real fast. Little guns do not tolerate sloppiness at all. Focus on fundamentals and all that: grip and trigger pull are the part that differ (well, not differ but more emphasis) from larger guns with better triggers. watch the vid above about shooting small guns.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Full size guns, especially those with good crisp triggers, can mask a lot of bad habits/techniques. It may be the gun but if your experience is all full size 1911s, it could absolutely be you too. you can try off a rest but having someone else with small-gun experience would be really good.

Big guns are nice, they have a lot to hang on to, a long sight radius to minimize error, big sights to see easily, and you can get sloppy and point shoot without the sights real fast. Little guns do not tolerate sloppiness at all. Focus on fundamentals and all that: grip and trigger pull are the part that differ (well, not differ but more emphasis) from larger guns with better triggers. watch the vid above about shooting small guns.
    This was my experience with my Shield. When I was "forced" to use it while my primary pistol was being milled for a red dot, I got quite a bit of time and rounds downrange with it. I now shoot it much better than before.

Get a grip on it and do plenty of reps.

Methos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the input. I am 99.9% sure it is me and I need to figure out what adjustments/corrections to make. First time with one this size and it is certainly different.

Methos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Wanted to follow up with a thanks to those that mentioned the hogue grip. I added that and it has made it much more pleasant to my hand. Between the added width that grip gives and some trigger time focused on fundamentals has helped significantly. Finally getting dialed in to where I have some confidence with the little guy.

Thanks to all that offered up some advice.

Top Bottom