• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coda80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    how durable is dura coat? i would like to re finish two pistols but before i spend the money i would like to know some opinions on durability. how scratch resistant is it? if im doing the slide, can i do the under side as well or is it to thick?

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I recently had my 1911 duracoated by bell armor & was a little skeptical but am a firm believer in the process now. I just came in from shooting it for the first time since getting it back & the action was a little tighter but operated very smooth throughout without any malfunctions with my reloads. The coating was put on inside & out of the slide as well as the extractor & firing pin block & none of the coating wore at all at this time & the thickness if properly applied will still allow the serial no. & lettering to be legible . Check out my album ,its my 1911 argentine colt with a titanium finish slide

uniquejohn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    west lafayette
    i did an ak myself with the spray and then bake system, came out looking good and seems to be fair as far as scratch resistant, have to be carefuk with cleaners as they will eat into it, do not like that part, as far as the action i did not do any internals, heard of somw horror stories how it will jam up the works, youtube has some good evaluations and instructions, go there and search for dura coat.... good luck!

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I have used it for several years and continue to do so. I have had great results with wear resistance but if you rub it with another piece of metal you will mark it. Duracoat has a thinner coating for internal components to reduce the build up. Are you going to do this yourself?

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Surface prep and cleaning are very important. If you are just going to spray it over the existing finish without going through the right steps, it will not last. It is easy to use but don't try to take shortcuts. I have always followed the directions and have never had any trouble. I've done 40+ guns with it. I have always ahd some left after spraying a gun and have coated cleaning rods, wrenches and even sprayed it on a bench vice to test the durability.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I have never used duracoat but I have had good luck with Brownells Teflon Molly coating. I am about to do an AK and a complete AR lower with it again.

It is a spray on coating that seems to be a little thinner then duracoat. You spray it on and then bake it for about 30 minutes.

Top Bottom