Dunham's and NICS delay for Christmas present.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sattech200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    So darn frustrated! Dunham's and NICS delay for Christmas present.

Last week my girlfriend and I stopped into Dunham's looking for a 22 for her son for Christmas present.

Found a pretty neat savage that had a cool green woodgrain to it. We both liked it a lot and thought it would be perfect for him.

Cleark said the background checks system was down but we could put it on layaway and come back to do background check so we did.

Went back Saturday night and did background check on her. It was 'delayed' then was told to just come get money back. I was PISSED! Said I would buy it and they refused to even try to sell to me. Ok, I sort of understand all the B's behind this now.

Are there any other options for us at this point or do we just forget it? She has nothing on her background. Common name is only reason we can come up with for the delay. She still has the layaway but has to close it by tomorrow or loses the money.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Last week my girlfriend and I stopped into Dunham's looking for a 22 for her son for Christmas present.

Found a pretty neat savage that had a cool green woodgrain to it. We both liked it a lot and thought it would be perfect for him.

Cleark said the background checks system was down but we could put it on layaway and come back to do background check so we did.

Went back Saturday night and did background check on her. It was 'delayed' then was told to just come get money back. I was PISSED! Said I would buy it and they refused to even try to sell to me. Ok, I sort of understand all the B's behind this now.

Are there any other options for us at this point or do we just forget it? She has nothing on her background. Common name is only reason we can come up with for the delay. She still has the layaway but has to close it by tomorrow or loses the money.
    So she got delayed and their policy is to take her layaway money deposit before the delay period would be up? Wow. I assume as a big box they won't release without an actual proceed? It's possible they could still get a proceed before Christmas.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Forget it. Go get your money and go find a LGS and give THEM your money. It will be better spent.

Im buying a Rough Rider for my son for the spring. I mentioned it to a gun guy at church and he called to tell me its at RK for $130. My LGS is going to charge me $150 to special order. Im fine with giving two guys Ive known for years (and shot with) $20 more than money to random shareholders.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And to clarify, avoid BBS' like the plague if you tend to get delayed. Their lawyers refuse to honor the lawful practice of allowing a sale without an explicit "PROCEED". After 3 business days the law says they MAY at their discretion release a firearm with no further response from NICS. And NICS often doesnt follow up on a false DELAY that results ultimately in a PROCEED because they assume the gun will be released anyway, and they have better things to do as overworked as they are.

I was at Dicks years ago taking them for a ride by buying a loss leader 10/22 during a black Friday sale. (and nothing else :lmfao:) While I was being perp walked to the register, we were talking. He mentioned a poor guy he had come in. Spent over a month and a half trying to buy a gun. Every time they ran it, it would come back as "DELAY". And they would never call the store to give them an explicit PROCEED. So for a month the guy would come back weekly and when they would resubmit, and it was always DELAY. Then after 30 days it times out and he had to file another 4473 transaction. It too came back "DELAY" Guy eventually gave up after a few more visits.

And dont get me started on shady stores that try to charge you a layaway restock because you get denied (or a BBS that wont release a delay) . Thats just kicking you when you are down.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Forget it. Go get your money and go find a LGS and give THEM your money. It will be better spent.

Im buying a Rough Rider for my son for the spring. I mentioned it to a gun guy at church and he called to tell me its at RK for $130. My LGS is going to charge me $150 to special order. Im fine with giving two guys Ive known for years (and shot with) $20 more than money to random shareholders.
    "BINGO"

"WINNING"

Do not buy from those stores peoples. Even if it is a few dollars less. Screw them. Twice if you can.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    And to clarify, avoid BBS' like the plague if you tend to get delayed. Their lawyers refuse to honor the lawful practice of allowing a sale without an explicit "PROCEED". After 3 business days the law says they MAY at their discretion release a firearm with no further response from NICS. And NICS often doesnt follow up on a false DELAY that results ultimately in a PROCEED because they assume the gun will be released anyway, and they have better things to do as overworked as they are.

I was at Dicks years ago taking them for a ride by buying a loss leader 10/22 during a black Friday sale. (and nothing else :lmfao:) While I was being perp walked to the register, we were talking. He mentioned a poor guy he had come in. Spent over a month and a half trying to buy a gun. Every time they ran it, it would come back as "DELAY". And they would never call the store to give them an explicit PROCEED. So for a month the guy would come back weekly and when they would resubmit, and it was always DELAY. Then after 30 days it times out and he had to file another 4473 transaction. It too came back "DELAY" Guy eventually gave up after a few more visits.

And dont get me started on shady stores that try to charge you a layaway restock because you get denied (or a BBS that wont release a delay) . Thats just kicking you when you are down.

I've been delayed on every purchase for the last three or so years. I think the longest was at Cabelas where the wait was eleven days. I stopped trying to buy from BBS and can't buy from anywhere that's too far away to drive to twice, which is pretty limiting.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've been delayed on every purchase for the last three or so years. I think the longest was at Cabelas where the wait was eleven days. I stopped trying to buy from BBS and can't buy from anywhere that's too far away to drive to twice, which is pretty limiting.
    Have you contacted FBI to find out why or get a UPIN? Just a thought.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    This must be a hit or miss problem , for some reason , maybe personnel issue with a individual in office.When I have bought from LGS in northwest indiana , I got cleared in about 5 minutes . Maybe its a certain STORE , they are more carefull with ?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

So... We are waiting. What did you do?

jwcarter2006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    I've bought 4 guns in the last 5 weeks and have been delayed every time. The 1st time it took 4 days, 2nd & 3rd time 3-4 hours. I bought the 4th gun tonight and they called back in 20 minutes, I was still in the store looking around when they called.

Top Bottom