• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Note that amateur radio is not currently required to go narrowband. If the radio can tune in 5 kHz steps on VHF and 12.5 kHz steps on UHF, it will work fine in the amateur radio bands.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    I just wanted to say thank you everyone for the helpful information in this thread. It was this thread that inspired me to study and pass the Technician test, just today in fact!

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    ...pass the Technician test, just today in fact!
    Congratulations!

Depending on how fast the VE team sends in their paperwork (most do it electronically now), I think you should be able to look up your license on the FCC's web site or QRZ.com by the end of the week.

ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    Been using the Ft-60 for a few months. It is a really good HT. I have done all programming by hand, not that bad. This thread has convinced me to pick up a uv-3 or uv-5 as a spare/backup. Thanks all, good info.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    ham

I recently bought the baofeng uv-r5+. You can get it for $46 on amazon. I haven't had any issues with it yet and it has been having alot of fun listening to the local nets (they mostly talk about snow and breakfast). It was pretty easy to program after some research and didn't require a computer. Another plus is that my electrical teacher at ivy tech is a smart ham (he does the servicing for the repeaters on the teachers college at ball state) and I shouldn't have any trouble getting a technicians license. Till then ill be listening. Thanks for the post and info on baofeng.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I just wanted to say thank you everyone for the helpful information in this thread. It was this thread that inspired me to study and pass the Technician test, just today in fact!

Same here. My callsign just showed up on the FCC site. Now I just have to figure out what the hell to do with it!

ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    Same here. My callsign just showed up on the FCC site. Now I just have to figure out what the hell to do with it!
    Regardless of why you got your license a good way to start would generally be buying a handheld (HT) transceiver I would suggest a dual band.
    I see a lot of callsigns posted on this forum, you may want to think about that choice for a minute. It's one thing to share it via PM with someone so you can make contact but for myself I am not going to post it on a public internet site. Remember you don't have to be a member to read these boards and looking at the stats there are usually a far greater number of non-members on this site at anyone one time than there are members :twocents:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Regardless of why you got your license a good way to start would generally be buying a handheld (HT) transceiver I would suggest a dual band.

I actually have a couple; a Baofeng U/V5RE and a Yaesu VX-6R. Bit of learning curve with both but particularly the Yaesu. Has a lot of features I don't understand yet.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    As you can see, I have no trouble with my call sign being known. Why? the FCC database is public, anyone that wants to can pull a list of names and addresses at anytime and as you can see by my user name I'm not exactly anonymous anyway.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Bill B; I agree with you 100%. Also, welcome to you and CAM, to the HAM community!!! I'm not on 2M much, but if you're in the Indy area, I'm K9TLA, so give me a shout. -- Greg/Grizhicks

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Living out of state, active duty, anyhow, took the new wife to a ham class last night. She seems committed to getting her license. Kind of exciting:-). Also some other preppers there too...slowly but surely!

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    As you can see, I have no trouble with my call sign being known. Why? the FCC database is public, anyone that wants to can pull a list of names and addresses at anytime and as you can see by my user name I'm not exactly anonymous anyway.

Bill B; I agree with you 100%. Also, welcome to you and CAM, to the HAM community!!! I'm not on 2M much, but if you're in the Indy area, I'm K9TLA, so give me a shout. -- Greg/Grizhicks

Yep, no worries here either. KC9YQV here.

Thanks for the welcome! I'll try to ring you up when I'm down there. Same goes for anyone in the Tipton or Kokomo areas. Hit me up!

Participated in the Kokomo net for the first time tonight. This is pretty fun!

ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    • Guess I'm just a little paranoid. Don't mind sharing mine at all in the HAM community. Yes, it is a public database but without relevant info it doesn't do anyone much good.
    • Do you guys have your call signs on your license plates too??

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    • Guess I'm just a little paranoid. Don't mind sharing mine at all in the HAM community. Yes, it is a public database but without relevant info it doesn't do anyone much good.
    • Do you guys have your call signs on your license plates too??

not me and i only share it when i have to (ie. on the radio) otherwise i keep a low profile and most of the time just listen in to the airwaves...

Top Bottom