• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I've had mine for a couple months now. I love it. it goes where I go. Real easy to throw up on the dash board of my Jeep. I listen to the 146.7 repeater to and from work. I love it. I like how its loud because I can still listen to the radio in my Jeep and can still hear when some one keys up the repeater. I'm a big fan.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Help

OK, got my license over a year ago, bought a FT 60 and put it in a drawer, life took me away for a while and now I want to figure this thing out. I'm in the New Palestine area and would be willing to pay someone $40.00 for an hour of their time to get me programmed in to a few channels, give me a few pointers and a good overview of the radio. I don't do well with manuals so that's not gonna work. Any ideas or takers. I'd be happy to come to your place. Thanks for any guidance.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    OK, got my license over a year ago, bought a FT 60 and put it in a drawer, life took me away for a while and now I want to figure this thing out. I'm in the New Palestine area and would be willing to pay someone $40.00 for an hour of their time to get me programmed in to a few channels, give me a few pointers and a good overview of the radio. I don't do well with manuals so that's not gonna work. Any ideas or takers. I'd be happy to come to your place. Thanks for any guidance.

If you do not get local help buy a programming cord on ebay. Software is free. I could use my radio reference subscription and program the software and email the file to you. All you would have to do is download the software load the file and send it to your radio.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

Question: Do you have a basic understanding on how repeaters work? How simplex works?

I should be able to punch in on the key pad at least 146.52 which is a really common CQ frew for the 2m band. You can try tuning the radio to that. Hit your PTT and call out "This is (ham sign) calling CQ on 146.52,This is (ham sign) calling CQ on 146.52,This is (ham sign) calling CQ on 146.52, " then release the ptt and wait. If some one is monitoring in your range they will call back to you. And thus you have just made your first contact.

with repeaters its a bit more involved. You have to tune your radio to the rx freq of the repeater and set your shift and offset. For the 146.7 repeaters its .6 offset and the shift is -

Programming the repeater will be more difficult then just punching in 146.52 and hitting the ptt

for some reference on just using it for simplex look at page 14 of the user manual it will illustrate what I said about simplex operation.

Link to the manual is here

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I've got the cord and the software. Supposed to be meeting someone to help this weekend but if you have frequencies already, I can load them in and that would probably put me ahead of the game a little. Thanks.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Question: Do you have a basic understanding on how repeaters work? How simplex works?

I should be able to punch in on the key pad at least 146.52 which is a really common CQ frew for the 2m band. You can try tuning the radio to that. Hit your PTT and call out "This is (ham sign) calling CQ on 146.52,This is (ham sign) calling CQ on 146.52,This is (ham sign) calling CQ on 146.52, " then release the ptt and wait. If some one is monitoring in your range they will call back to you. And thus you have just made your first contact.

with repeaters its a bit more involved. You have to tune your radio to the rx freq of the repeater and set your shift and offset. For the 146.7 repeaters its .6 offset and the shift is -

Programming the repeater will be more difficult then just punching in 146.52 and hitting the ptt

for some reference on just using it for simplex look at page 14 of the user manual it will illustrate what I said about simplex operation.

Link to the manual is here
    Thanks for the link to the manual, lost that. I will try the frequency tomorrow when I get off work and give it a shot. Thanks again

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    My pleasure friend. Here is an awesome site that tells yours the Freq's and PLL codes for all the repeaters in indiana, and where they are. As I understand it, The 146.700- repeater is the most popular in indy. I would think your 5w radio would get you there. Its in Zionsville i believe. Also 147.315 is fairly popular. I believe its internet linked with other repeaters. I've heard people in South Africa talking to the US and the UK on it.

Every week night after work I tune into 146.7 and listen on my drive home. If you fire up
    and call CQ for KC9SJV, and I hear you, ill be happy to chat with you.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Older thread, but didn't want to start a new one.

I am looking to pick up some UV5-R Pluses, and was curious about antennas. Have you guys experimented with other antennas? Have you used mobile antennas? Is there any gain to be had with an aftermarket antenna?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

I am looking to pick up some UV5-R Pluses, and was curious about antennas. Have you guys experimented with other antennas? Have you used mobile antennas? Is there any gain to be had with an aftermarket antenna?

Drop that radio once, and its likely that you'll have to buy another to replace it.

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Kinda supprised to see this thread on a shooting site. Happy to see other dual or multi hobbiests out there. We have a lot of gun discussions on the local repaters he in S. In.

As far as the $46 radios, there are a lot of guys around here that have bought them and love 'em. I have a cople of VX5-R's, so I'm not really in the market for another HT. Saving all my extra bucks for guns and ammo!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne

There is a better one, I remember from the uv5r yahoo group. I will track it down. I have not found the need though. Before I had a mobile unit I plugged mine into my car 2m antenna. I also use it with a roll up jpole.

ride22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    "I have no problems giving it to my girls to throw into the basket of there bike when they are at the park a half mile away."

Apparently, you aren't worried that your daughters can get popped by the FCC for illegal use of ham radio equipment?

Haha. Good point.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The radio in my OP is the UV-3. This radio is TINY and not nearly as robust as the UV-5R. For the money get the UV-5R. As far as they latest 5R revisions they seem to be all firmware based. No real difference in all the 5R's functionally. They are all a pain to program as the software sucks and getting chinese usb chips to work with windows can be tricky. But still a great value.

Make sure you download the latest daily version of Chirp software, not the stable version. Only the latest one will program the new and older firmwares.

If anyone needs programming files for these PM me your zip codes, I likely already have one from the radio class I taught.

Top Bottom