• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You just have to grasp an understanding of how a repeater works. Traffic comes in on one freq, and out at the same time on another. There is a set offset to that either higher or lower +,-. Some repeaters have access codes you need to enter also.

If you get something pm me I can walk you through it.

Thank you. Will repeaters be up and running if we suffer a power outage??

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The license cost is $14. An 8yr old can pass it.

Mine is an MKII not sure what that adds. Programming cable on the way. Can you add alpha tags with programming?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Thank you. Will repeaters be up and running if we suffer a power outage??

Big ones run on battery back up. Chances of all the repeaters being damaged in an urban area is smaller. This is a niche radio part of the puzzle. My $800 Yaesu with my 175 watt amp can talk 100 miles SSB with no repeaters but this thread is about spending $46.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Big ones run on battery back up. Chances of all the repeaters being damaged in an urban area is smaller. This is a niche radio part of the puzzle. My $800 Yaesu with my 175 watt amp can talk 100 miles SSB with no repeaters but this thread is about spending $46.

I would not call this a niche part of the puzzle, inter-group Comms are almost, if not more important, than being able to throw your voice a 100 miles. I think what you have done is show that there are capable options out there for those on budgets. I had no clue you could get a dual band radio for less than $50.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Mine is an MKII not sure what that adds. Programming cable on the way. Can you add alpha tags with programming?

Sorry, no alpha tags at least on my older version, even though the software has provisions it won't populate. BTW, mine has been bumped dropped and otherwise abused and is holding up great.

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN

Well I only need the $46 model pretty sure we are closer than 100 miles

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Well I only need the $46 model pretty sure we are closer than 100 miles

Radio to radio you may get a few miles. Using a repeater you may get up to 20-30 miles depending on what the radio is on the other end.

You might as well order a programming cable while you are at it. Will save yourself some of the hassle of programming it.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    "I have no problems giving it to my girls to throw into the basket of there bike when they are at the park a half mile away."

Apparently, you aren't worried that your daughters can get popped by the FCC for illegal use of ham radio equipment?
    Yeah, the FCC has too much on their plate too worry about this crap. They don't even mess with CBs any more. I have many friends with wide open amplified CBs reaching out, WAY out. Heck you can even go to just about any truck stop radio shop and openly discuss it and pay them to "hook you up".

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yeah, the FCC has too much on their plate too worry about this crap. They don't even mess with CBs any more. I have many friends with wide open amplified CBs reaching out, WAY out. Heck you can even go to just about any truck stop radio shop and openly discuss it and pay them to "hook you up".
    Yuppers...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sailor said:
    "I have no problems giving it to my girls to throw into the basket of there bike when they are at the park a half mile away."

Apparently, you aren't worried that your daughters can get popped by the FCC for illegal use of ham radio equipment?

Well, that's a point if they transmit, but...

They know they are to listen only and not transmit. They play radio with their FRS's. If there is an emergency they can call me and I will pay an FCC fine willingly.

And then again...

The license cost is $14. An 8yr old can pass it....

His daughters might also have been licensed, too. It's a good point to consider; those who are not licensed are not allowed to transmit at all, but with a good tutor, there's no reason they couldn't pass a Technician test.

And there's that point, too, but we try to stay on the right side of the law here on INGO and promote the same. Just because they don't pursue it doesn't make it not a violation of the law.

+1 to you, Sailor, for the idea... a cheapy radio is a better choice than a cell phone for the purpose you describe... and no monthly charge, either!

Blessings,
    Bill

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    They know they are to listen only and not transmit. They play radio with their FRS's. If there is an emergency they can call me and I will pay an FCC fine willingly.

If the unit is only 2 watts transmit and the system is dual band, couldn't you simply use the MURS frequencies just like FRS? This should avoid all legal and licensing issues as long as it doesn't interfere with emergency business communications. This is how my family uses some old kenwood units.

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    Still breaking the law, that radio is not authorized to use MURS even though it is capable.

Thanks for this and +1 to your rep! I never knew that the unit had to be certified for MURS use even though it is capable and meets the engineering specifications. For reference for others, here is a link to the relevant info:

http://sites.google.com/site/mursradio2/mursradiocertificationforpart95

Luckily, our old Kenwoods were grandfathered but it is a bummer that newer units like the one cited in this thread can't be used. It would be great to have an inexpensive unit where you could monitor the popular license required channels and be able to transmit on the non license required channels.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Mine arrived today! Confirming:

LOUD!
    Small

6698383373_a00ebdaf13_m.jpg

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I am taking the test in the end of February if all goes as planned...The book 25.00 the test 14.00 and a radio 35-50.00 total under $100.00 .. Not a bad deal for a hobby and possible life line if need be....

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Can anyone post a pic of the programming cable? I have a TRRS (plugs into the mic/spkr jack) to USB for my Yaesu VX-270's... wondering if it's the same cable.

Top Bottom