• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    OK, bear with me. This is going to be my first time trying to post a poll. Hope I get it right.

If you had to make a choice of one semi-auto rifle to buy (at least for now) in .308, which would you pick of the two choices, a DSA SG58 FAL, or a new manufacture Springfield Armory M1A (M14)? Please figure in the cost and availability of magazines in your decision.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I voted M1A because I want one and they are excellent rifles. But, I have a Cetme .308 and it shoots great, mags are cheap, it's a great rifle. So based on price and goodies available I would probably go with the FAL. My :twocents:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I would take the FAL. HOWEVER, I had a mixed experience with DS Arms back in March. If AIM has one in stock then go for it. I am not sure I would have DS Arms build me one. ymmv

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I would take the FAL. HOWEVER, I had a mixed experience with DS Arms back in March. If AIM has one in stock then go for it. I am not sure I would have DS Arms build me one. ymmv

I was thinking more along the lines of picking one up at the Indy 1500 or ordering one off of Gunbroker.

What bad experience did you have with DS Arms in March?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I ordered a complete AR lower. I called and asked them if TSG was on file; they said yes. A few days later my order was on "permanent hold." So I called them and they said they needed me to refax the FFL info. :n00b:

i ended up calling them a few times and each time was told my AR "was being built today and would ship tomorrow."

Now don't get me wrong, I did not wait all that long to get the lower...especially compared to a lot of other companies. I was not in a hurry to get it, but it pissed me off that I was the one who did all the calling. Don't tell me a 7 day turn-around when I order and make me wait a month.

I just felt like an email or phone call should have been made.

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    DSA Fal would be my pick. The Fal is/was the "right hand of the free world". Great rifle used by most of the democratic world except the USA.

Nothing against the M14...just my opinion.

-G

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    Don't you mean " right arm of the free world"? My vote would be for the FAL. I prefer a pistol grip to the traditional rifle grip. Magazines are still plentiful but not even near as cheap as they were 10+ years ago. The first time I went to knob creek DSA had a 3'x3'x3' cardboard box of steyr mags for $5 each. Those were the days.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    M1A all the way! I've been shooting M1As for 25 years or so and to me they are the perfect 7.62 Battle Rifle. I love the look and feel of a nice walnut stock and I love the sights on the M1/M1A platform. Parts are plentiful and mags are easily obtainable, although not as cheap as the FAL. Plus the M1A/M14 was actually used, and still is, by the US military so it has a sense of history to it. I shot FALs before and even though they are good rifles I just prefer the look, the feel and the history of the M1A better. IMO YMMV :twocents:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    M1A all the way! I've been shooting M1As for 25 years or so and to me they are the perfect 7.62 Battle Rifle. I love the look and feel of a nice walnut stock and I love the sights on the M1/M1A platform. Parts are plentiful and mags are easily obtainable, although not as cheap as the FAL. Plus the M1A/M14 was actually used, and still is, by the US military so it has a sense of history to it. I shot FALs before and even though they are good rifles I just prefer the look, the feel and the history of the M1A better. IMO YMMV :twocents:

Ditto...but like the feel of my USGI birch, an all my parts but the reciever are USGI, bolt, op rod, barrel all from 1961 or before. I like these older USGI parts M14's better than I would a new M1A.
    picture.php

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Plus the M1A/M14 was actually used, and still is, by the US military so it has a sense of history to it.

The FAL has been used by over 90 countries and is still used by some. It has a much longer battle history than the M14...that is a sense of history.

The ergonomics of the FAL are excellent, mags can be bought for 20 bucks or less, reliability is excellent. I don't think my M1A NM has been out of the safe for about 3 years now...my FAL gets used instead.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I wouldn't have a new production M1A based on what I've been seeing from them over the last few years.

I've said it before - but here it is again:

I recently sold my M1A that I'd had for years. Decided I needed to pick up some spares - then realized they either weren't available at all, that which was available was of questionable heritage & quality, and/or the basic "parts kit" I wanted for spares exceeded the value that I paid for the rifle initially.

I've had bad experiences with Armalite AR-10's and will no longer consider them.

Currently - I'd go DPMS LR-308, or one of the variants - POF/Larue/CMMG/Iron Ridge, etc.

Parts are plentiful, priced right and MANY of them interchange with standard AR-15 bits.

My experiences:

M1A/M14
    • For the purposes of this, we'll look at a Springfield Standard $1400 +/-
    • Look long and hard for one with as many GI parts as you can find
    • If a standard model will shoot better than 2" @ 100, be happy
    • Replacement parts have went through the roof since 2002
    • It isn't unusual to see complete bolts at or near $300
    • It isn't unusual to see complete trigger groups at or near $200
    • It isn't unusual to see GI gas cylinders at or near $200
    • Rebarreling isn't something most can do on their own
    • Haven't seen a complete GI parts kit in years for under $750
    • Decent magazines are generally $25+
    • Springfield production over the last few years seems of questionable quality, although their warranty is excellent (you generally get GI replacement parts)
    G3
    • The only "clone" I would consider is the PTR $1050 +/-
    • If a standard model will shoot better than 1.5" @ 100, be happy
    • Completemilitary parts kits are anywhere from $150-$500 depending on manufacturer and/or country of origin
    • Individual parts are availabile and relatively inexpensive
    • HK produced aluminum magazines can be found for less than a $1
    • Barrel replacement and/or headspace adjustment is generally possible for most with mechanical aptitude
    • Hard to beat based on magazine and replacement parts availability and price
    DPMS/KAS/M110/Larue, etc.
    • For the purpose of this I'm using a AP4 DPMS for comparison $1200 +/-
    • If it shoots over a 1.5" group @ 100, something is wrong
    • Fire control group parts are all AR-15 common bits
    • Take down pins, bolt catch retainer, buffer and spring are all unique
    • Gas system parts are all AR-15 common bits
    • Furniture with the exception of handguards/float tubes = AR-15
    • Replacement bolts $150
    • Replacement complete bolt carriers $275
    • Rebarreling can be done by practically anyone
    • For that matter - fitting the barrel extension, chambering the barrel and setting up the gas system could be performed by most anyone who paid attention in high school machine shop in the 80's or before.
    • Magazines - $25+, some are of dubious quality.
    • If and when the Magpuls are released, and working properly, this may be hard to beat for me.
    FAL
    • For the purpose of this I'm using a DSA STG-58 $1250
    • If it shoots under 2.0" @ 100 yards, be happy
    • Complete parts kits are readily available, although getting more expensive $250+
    • Rebarreling isn't that difficult, some special tools and parts required
    • Magazines are available, but getting more expensive $15+
    • Hard to beat if you like the ergonomics
    AR-10
    • My experiences were poor, perhaps not fair to review it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The FAL has been used by over 90 countries and is still used by some. It has a much longer battle history than the M14...that is a sense of history.

The ergonomics of the FAL are excellent, mags can be bought for 20 bucks or less, reliability is excellent. I don't think my M1A NM has been out of the safe for about 3 years now...my FAL gets used instead.

The FAL was not used by the US, only tested. The M14vsFAL question is almost as bad as the Glock vs Everything else battle. Both are fine guns but I prefer the M1A. I don't like the ergonomics or the sights on the FAL. Again my opinion. :twocents:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Not one of your choices but you could always find an M1 Garand re chambered in .308! We put several through my M1 yesturday and man what a great rifle to be behind. 500 yard hits are possible with open sights, now that's fun!

Edit: Just for knowledge my M1 is .30-06

Top Bottom